PDA

View Full Version : 8700c Build Consistency

justin.culp
12-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Yesterday my 8700 died (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=21221). It was totally locked up...couldn't do anything to it...not even a usb connect. So I got another one yesterday (last one in town!!)

This new 8700 feels completely different from my previous one. The keys on the keyboard even have a different feel when I push them (a much more solid feel in fact!) The thumb wheel feels stiffer and the escape and side convenience button also feels different. All the 'different' feelings of this BB are better than my old one so I'm not complaining. I'm not questioning the quality of the device as we are experiencing the 'first generation' 8700 we know that there will be issues. I think we all have accepted that. I'm just curious as to why such a difference in feel on the "same" device as I had just returned.

Anyone else that has had or has more than one of these BB's experienced this?

Hotwax007
12-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I just received a "demo" device after already receiving 3 purchased devices and the demo 8700c is different? The first 8700 I got has a small "nib" or sensor of some type just above the "P" key, the new "demo" device doesn't have it? Anybody know what this is for?

There is a PRD# under the battery...
Demo device is PRD-07109-002
The first 8700 is PRD-07109-003

nb_mitch
12-12-2005, 12:30 PM
maybe it is like cars, you never want one coming off the production line on Friday :)

I got my first 7290 in June and then a replacement in October. I thought they were so different it was amazing. If I hadn't upgraded to the 8700, I really liked the newer 7290 from a build and feel stand point.

MegaBit
12-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Maybe the first few thousand units were pre-production and good enough to put into boxes for sale- and we have them.

This is common in the business.

indysully
12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
I have had a 7290 since March and I just got my 8700 on Friday. I think the build of the product is very good. It takes a bit of time to get used to the keys as there is less space in between, but other than that I think the device is grand.

Sully

dwlace01
12-12-2005, 06:38 PM
While I have only had one BB 8700c. I purchased it two days ago and after reading some early posts aobut dust under the screen after one day of having it and how the buttons feel "plasitcy" some other negative things about the device. I could not disagree more. The buttons have a nice sturdy feel to them, both side buttons are very hard firm and sometimes a little to hard to push. And as far as the dust problem, there has been some talk about a new housing in production and so i assume it is a possibilty for the probelm to be fixed, but i have had my phone in my pocket for 75% of the time i've had it, and there isn't any sign of the smallest ammount of dust reaching the inside of my phone. This obviously leads me to believe that some of the earlier models still had some small kinks in them and RIM was quick to find them and fix them.

I have only good thigns to say about the device so far, but its early and iw ill keep you updated.

pawn
12-12-2005, 07:03 PM
I partly agree. No dust here either, and I haven't been careful about it in the least. However, while I wouldn't say my 8700R feels "flimsy", there's no way it feels as robust as my 7780 did. I don't feel confident the 8700 will survive the punishment my 7780 sustained at all. Also, I do have the "loose battery door" and "light from the side cracks" issues, although they don't bother me. All in all, I couldn't be happier with the device.

dwlace01
12-12-2005, 09:56 PM
yea, my battery door is almost too hard to get off and there has never been light seeping through the sides. I'm very happy that im not dealing with all of these issues right now...knock on wood.

XDS
12-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (7290: BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Same thing with my 7290 ... I don't believe these things have anything to do with build consistency -AT THIS POINT- , rather maybe the way they are manufactured.

MY first 7290 was very "loose" in scrolling with the JOG Dile , and the keys had A unsolid feeling , I have gone threw 2 replacements -both are/have A more solid feeling and the keys feel allot more "Clickable"

Perhaps RIM broke out the wip on it's MFRing line.

Regards,
~