PDA

View Full Version : My BB downloads 10 kb every 10 minutes... Got a 150$ bill..

xlavinho
12-08-2009, 06:33 PM
This is my first post here. I'm kind of a newbie so I would very mutch appreciate some answers.

I bought my BB 8900 i Chicago this fall at Radio Shack with T-Mobile as carrier. When I got back to Norway I succesfully unlocked it and found out that there's only ONE mobile carrier that operates the BlackBerry services on their network in Norway, so I had to switch carriers..

Everything worked fine, until I got my bill today.. It was a 150$ bill saying that I downloaded more than 28000 kb in only 17 days...!! How can this be possible? Now, the carrier isn't taking any responsibility because the phone was bought in the US, but what the he** is the problem?? The specified bill says the phone is making frequent downloads every 10 minutes, and each download is 10 kb's.. They've never had this problem so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the phones previous T-Mobile lock..

In addition, I can't install the new software update from my Norwegian carrier, I manage to download it and install it, but it doesn't show in the App Loader.. Any ideas?

Someone please help, I can't continue paying 200 bucks every month... Roaming is expencive in Norway!

rambo47
12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Do you leave an Instant Messaging app of some kind running? They often poll the network on regular intervals which could account for your data usage.

Noodle22
12-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I say its your phone doing automatic updates or you accidentlly browsing without realisng it, your fault if you don't either a) get a bb specific data plan or b) block the internet.

1024 kb in a mb, what you have used in 17 days is usually what I use in about the same time, not very much, but data pay per use can be very expensive if you don't have the proper plan.

xlavinho
12-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Do you leave an Instant Messaging app of some kind running? They often poll the network on regular intervals which could account for your data usage.

Well. I'we thought about that, but I have always tried not to have anything running in the background, so the chances are small. The guys at the carrier store told me that due to bad coverage in my area the phone might connect now and then to renew signals, but that can't be right. I know from my previous carrier that the coverage in my area is good (I live in down town Oslo, and the two carriers use the same network). They also told me to update to their newest device software, but as I mentioned, I'm not able to view it in the App Loader, although I'm certain that it's installed in the computer (running XP).

Has anyone got an idea what this might be, since the phone is originally a T-Mobile device..? I've already turned off the automatic update service in the desktop manager software, but the new device software still doesn't show in the App Loader...

I've tried to find the Vendor.xml file as described in the OS update-manual here at blackberryforums.com - but there's no file with that name in the folder.

And btw, when I upload pics to facebook, the location on the pic info at facebook says "US", which means that the device itself thinks it's still in the States... Can this have something to do with the roaming issue?

Noodle22
12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Which companies sim card is in the phone?

Do you have a bb data plan with your local carrier, and is that sim in the phone?

xlavinho
12-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I say its your phone doing automatic updates or you accidentlly browsing without realisng it, your fault if you don't either a) get a bb specific data plan or b) block the internet.

1024 kb in a mb, what you have used in 17 days is usually what I use in about the same time, not very much, but data pay per use can be very expensive if you don't have the proper plan.

Hey! First of all, thanks for the answers guys, i appreciate it.

I don't think he's updating, but as I said, the U.S. thing in the picture uploads may be an explanation...

I just checked out the BB data plan of my carrier, and it's quite expensive, but if this continues, I'm gonna have to order a specific data plan with a 100MB limit, because right now I'm paying 1,20$ per MB... And 1,20$ times 45 MB each month is a lot! Norway is the world's most expencive country, so don't plan your holidays here!

xlavinho
12-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Which companies sim card is in the phone?

Do you have a bb data plan with your local carrier, and is that sim in the phone?

The carrier is Trigcom (trigcom.no), and I don't have a data plan, but I'm sure am thinking about it now! Although I'm using a new sim now, the upload screen still displays the T-Mobile logo..

Noodle22
12-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I would definately suggesting getting a bb data plan, the pay per use rates as you can see are quite expensive! 1.20 a MB doesn't seem that bad, it used to be .05 cents a kb here which is 51.20 a MB. Certianly taught a lesson to iphone customers who refused to block the net and take a data plan haha.

How much does it cost to purchase 500 mb? That seems to be the standard in most countries, usually about 25 dollars on a plan.

BallHawk3
12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
You have no data plan.

If you have no data plan, that means you can't use your phone for anything besides phone calls and text messages.

If you DO anything else, like browse web, instant messaging, or any apps, it most likely uses data.

So ask yourself...what are you doing on your phone besides calling and texting?

That's what's causing the charges. Casual usage. Either get the blackberry data plan, or block your internet. This really has nothing to do with being a TMO USA phone.

illuminator
12-08-2009, 10:10 PM
The reason why you still see the tmobile logo is because unlocking a phone doesn't remove or replace the vendor's logo from the phone. And just because a different company's SIM card is inserted will not effect anything related to vendor's theme on the phone.

Since the phone has been unlocked, may I suggest that you update the device. Here's a good guide:

blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/112029-losing-call-logs-sms-emails-optimize-your-bb-how-setup-max-free-memory.html

tsac
12-08-2009, 10:45 PM
The 8900 has built in GPS and WiFI. Make sure the GPS is off because most use the internet for location directions and maping. the WiFi will allow you to use the internet until you get a blackberry data plan for your service.

xlavinho
12-09-2009, 05:30 AM
The reason why you still see the tmobile logo is because unlocking a phone doesn't remove or replace the vendor's logo from the phone. And just because a different company's SIM card is inserted will not effect anything related to vendor's theme on the phone.

Since the phone has been unlocked, may I suggest that you update the device. Here's a good guide:

blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/112029-losing-call-logs-sms-emails-optimize-your-bb-how-setup-max-free-memory.html

Thanks for the advice! I finally found the vendor.xml file in the right folder (I was monitoring the wrong folder all the time) and managed to upload the new device software in the desktop manager, but it says that there are no new updates required, so I'm still stuck with the old T-Mobile software... Any suggestions on what i can do to install the new companys software? Shall I downgrade to another software and try again with the software from the new company?

xlavinho
12-09-2009, 05:34 AM
The 8900 has built in GPS and WiFI. Make sure the GPS is off because most use the internet for location directions and maping. the WiFi will allow you to use the internet until you get a blackberry data plan for your service.

Do you have any suggestions on which apps I can turn off in the settings menu? Or anything that will keep the data traffic lower?

Thanks

dc/dc
12-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Do you have any suggestions on which apps I can turn off in the settings menu? Or anything that will keep the data traffic lower?

Thanks

Turn off data services completely until you get a plan.

rambo47
12-09-2009, 10:26 AM
5 core apps are always running: Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Home Screen, Messages, and Browser. These can't be shut down, but everything else can be. Some apps don't completely quit when you close them. Alt + Escape (the "back" button) will bring up the running apps on your screen so you can see if anything is running that shouldn't be running.

Like dc/dc said, the only way to be sure you don't use data is to completely turn off data services.

xlavinho
12-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the answers guys! I really appreciate it! :)
I have wiped the phone right now and I'm starting from scratch. I'm not using anything except e-mail.

But I still have some more questions. Does the phone search for new e-mail by itself, or are they pushed from the server? Because if it's the former, that may be the case, that the phone is updating or searching for new e-mail every 10 minutes...

And am I the only one that thinks that the fact that the phone was bought in the US and that it's trying to connect to something over there may be an issue?

I'm gonna call my operator tomorrow to ask them if they can see any frequent movements in data traffic, if that is the case, I'm gonna have to buy a data plan...

This purchase has turned into a nightmare after I moved back to Norway. Only one operator that has BB services and the plans are among the most expecive of all the other Norwegian operators... You have no idea how mutch trouble I've had with this phone, this is just the tip of the iceberg...

Anyway, thank you all :)

P.S. Pardon my English... :-S

dc/dc
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the answers guys! I really appreciate it! :)
I have wiped the phone right now and I'm starting from scratch. I'm not using anything except e-mail.

But I still have some more questions. Does the phone search for new e-mail by itself, or are they pushed from the server? Because if it's the former, that may be the case, that the phone is updating or searching for new e-mail every 10 minutes...

And am I the only one that thinks that the fact that the phone was bought in the US and that it's trying to connect to something over there may be an issue?

I'm gonna call my operator tomorrow to ask them if they can see any frequent movements in data traffic, if that is the case, I'm gonna have to buy a data plan...

This purchase has turned into a nightmare after I moved back to Norway. Only one operator that has BB services and the plans are among the most expecive of all the other Norwegian operators... You have no idea how mutch trouble I've had with this phone, this is just the tip of the iceberg...

Buying the phone in the US has nothing to do with it at all. Period.

I''m sorry you're having difficulties, but I can assure you your problems will be solved by disabling data services or signing up for the BlackBerry plan.

Noodle22
12-09-2009, 11:55 PM

Your English is better than some of the people I've seen who have English as their first language. Especially some of the posters here!

Glad we've been able to help.

dc/dc
12-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Your English is better than some of the people I've seen who have English as their first language. Especially some of the posters here!

Glad we've been able to help.

That's the truth.

xlavinho
12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Haha! Thanks, that's flattering :)

I talked to my operator today and they said that I should do a complete removal of the OS, and install their OS. I've downloaded their OS and removed the vendor.xml file. The OS shows in the list on Desktop Manager, but when I select it and press next, the next message I get is that there aren't any available software updates. But although there aren't any new updates, I still want to get rid of the current OS from T-Mobile...

I know this is a new query, but does anyone know how I do a complete removal? Not only wipe - I already know how to do that. I basically want to completely erase the current OS in order to be able to install a different one. Because my operator charges 50$ for this...