PDA

View Full Version : Switching from T-Mo to CIngular?

joginder
12-09-2005, 05:01 PM
I know many of you might have or are planning to switch to Cingular to get hold of 8700 BB but it is not worth because the worst nightmare if losing the true BIS from T-mobile and going to Webclient with Cingular.
I just could not handle it and had to cancel the plan.
BIS is the must thing if you buying device to handle emails.

dranger
12-09-2005, 05:28 PM
I agree. If you are that hungry for the 8700 just get it unlocked. I wonder what would happen if one just signed up for a plan with Cingular, then cancelled within the 30 day remorse period over the phone with a rep and didn't return the equipment?

richard371
12-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Cingular is a nightmare. I cannot stand that company. Last night I got a rep "Latosha" that had no clue about the 8700c and used so many double negatives it was unreal. I asked her if their was a voiceplan on my corporate account and she said there is no voice plan but I do have 1400 mins a month and unlimited nights and weekends. Their training is horrible. They also nickel and dime you for everything. You may have a little less coverage with tmobile but they are a much beter company.

tfaz1
12-09-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm a T-Mo customer who's looking to switch over to get the 8700c. But I'm confused about the differences.

What's the difference between "true BIS" and "webclient"? And isn't EDGE a good reason to switch over the Cingular?

NJBlackBerry
12-09-2005, 06:57 PM
T-Mobile has EDGE. I have an 8700c, unlocked, running on T-Mobile. And it shows EDGE..

gadgetman
12-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I have made a switch and I have no problem with Cingular. I have set my e-mail to forward from Earthlink to the Cingular BIS and it arrives instantaneously, just like T-Mobile. However, I have to agree that T-Mobile customer service is very good, better than Cingular.

tfaz1
12-09-2005, 07:12 PM
That also confuses me. I believe you if you say you have EDGE access on T-Mo. But where are the EDGE devices and products? It says nothing about EDGE on T-Mo's site.

richard371
12-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Trust me I have used the treo 650 and had EDGE all the time on tmo. tmo just does not support it yet or hasn't rolled it out officialy.

tfaz1
12-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Trust me I have used the treo 650 and had EDGE all the time on tmo. tmo just does not support it yet or hasn't rolled it out officialy.

Great news! So how can I find out if my area (Oakland, CA) is serviced by T-Mo EDGE?

richard371
12-09-2005, 07:41 PM
It should I live in SF and have been over there with it and it was on EDGE.

tfaz1
12-09-2005, 08:05 PM
What great info. Good thing I found this forum!

One more question, though: How much to add unlimited T-Mo Blackberry to my existing voice plan? I spoke to a very nice (though confused) T-Mo rep who knew of two plans ($19.99 and $29.99). She didn't really know the difference between the two.

richard371
12-09-2005, 08:50 PM
I think one is if you use BES. If you don't use it on a BES server get the cheaper one.

tfaz1
12-09-2005, 09:02 PM
This is true. Just $19.99 for unlimited Blackberry.

Also, I spoke with two T-Mo reps who both answered candidly about their EDGE network. One even looked up my zip code to verify that I would get EDGE. Pretty cool, T-Mobile. You've got a customer for life...

That Cingular wants to charge you $45 for a lesser Blackberry service with restrictions on how you can use your data is appalling. Thankfully I found this forum before it was too late.

joginder
12-09-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm a T-Mo customer who's looking to switch over to get the 8700c. But I'm confused about the differences.

What's the difference between "true BIS" and "webclient"? And isn't EDGE a good reason to switch over the Cingular?

True BIS is where you can have multiple accounts enabled under your service books and each account can b used to reply or received messages. What CIngular has is that you can only use one account as 'Sent from' address so it is really not a BIS . it is webclient and I have talked to a guy from RIM and he said that they have been working on this thing with Cingular to upgrade the webclient to BIS.

joginder
12-09-2005, 11:04 PM
What great info. Good thing I found this forum!

One more question, though: How much to add unlimited T-Mo Blackberry to my existing voice plan? I spoke to a very nice (though confused) T-Mo rep who knew of two plans ($19.99 and $29.99). She didn't really know the difference between the two.

Go for 19.99 plan unless your BB is supported by your office which may not be the case. One thing is for sure T-mo has knowledgeable people on the support. 19.99 plan is unlimited and there are no hidden charges so far that I can think of. Their true BIS is the real deal and true usage of BB.
-Joginder
2038F7CF

joginder
12-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Last week , I talked to guy at T-mo and he said T-mo will get 8700 in early Feb so it is not that far.

takeshi
12-10-2005, 10:52 AM
"True BIS" is a bit misleading. I mean, there's nothing fake about the other carriers' implementations. T-Mobile's BIS is simply newer and integrates better with multiple accounts than the older BWC that other carriers are using. Note that with the older BWC you get webmail-style access to the BWC account. With the newer BIS there is no such access but you can integrate and reply (or appear to anyway) via the various accounts you've added. The older BWC can mimic only one email address. Additionally, the newer BIS offer "BES-like" integration with Yahoo email accounts.

BIS/BWC may or may not be a deal breaker for you. In my case, I rely pretty much on BES so as long as BWC/BIS can mimic a single email account I'm happy as I don't use a dozen different email addresses. I use BWC/BIS for things like flight status notification and with the Global Petfinder service (to notify me if my dog has escaped from her designated perimiter) as I don't want these messages coming into my primary email account. If you do plan on trying to integrate multiple POP email accounts then you'll want T-Mobile's BIS. Word is that Cingular will roll out a similar implementation down the road...

dallasbbry
12-10-2005, 11:56 AM
This really helps. I was going to switch to Cingular from T-Mo, but now I will wait until Feb to get the one with T-Mo. Maybe T-Mo will get the black one. Sweet. Feb is not that far off...

tfaz1
12-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Other than aesthetics, would there be any differences between this device and a T-Mobile branded 8700c?

dallasbbry
12-10-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't think so. I will let others respond. If you look at the devices the Rogers one is black, while Cingular is Gray. http://www.blackberry.com/products/new_handhelds/index.shtml It looks like Orange is getting one as well.

tfaz1
12-10-2005, 02:58 PM
I don't think so. I will let others respond. If you look at the devices the Rogers one is black, while Cingular is Gray. http://www.blackberry.com/products/new_handhelds/index.shtml It looks like Orange is getting one as well.

So what would be the advantage in waiting for T-Mo's?

stealthx32
12-10-2005, 03:03 PM
No need to unlock (although someone figured out how to do it free if you're a Cingular customer). Better support for the device when something goes wrong. T-Mobile also puts out software updates before anyone else does.

tfaz1
12-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm going to ask what you mean about software updates. I assume you mean updates to the device itself.

Aren't those pushed out over the network? Wouldn't my Cingular branded 8700c receive them once it's properly on T-Mo's network? Or would I be able to manually update the device using my PC?

Thanks for all the great info!

edit: Just spoke to T-Mo's Blackberry support and they tell me that firmware updates are pushed out to the all Blackberrys. They are not device specific, so it seems like there would be no difference between an unlocked 8700c and a T-Mo 8700c.

joginder
12-10-2005, 05:38 PM
tfaz1, Firmware update and all other software updates are always available thru the provider's website and they never get pushed over the air (OTA). It is true that usually/historically T-mo always puts their upgrades on time on their website.
Repeat: Support on t-mo is lot better than Cing. Good luck

Entropy666
12-10-2005, 08:01 PM
hey guys just buy the phone from cingular store at full price at 450$ and then unlock it through gsmps (search on the forum) grand total of 490$ for a brand new blackberry unlocked and all.

avironeur
12-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

The local Cingular stores seem less than willing to sell them to anyone here for some reason.

tfaz1
12-10-2005, 09:31 PM
I just picked one up from my local Cingular store for $399 (no plan). Not bad.

avironeur
12-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Here it's going for well over 400 w/o a plan and I havne't found a Cingular store in the DC area willing to sell one to a non-customer yet.

tfaz1
12-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Wow. Chalk it up to beginner's luck. First Blackberry and first time I've ever bought a phone w/o a plan.

To give Cingular credit, the rep was extremely helpful and knowledgeable - even praising T-Mo's service and rates.

Inphektion
12-10-2005, 11:55 PM
I know many of you might have or are planning to switch to Cingular to get hold of 8700 BB but it is not worth because the worst nightmare if losing the true BIS from T-mobile and going to Webclient with Cingular.
I just could not handle it and had to cancel the plan.
BIS is the must thing if you buying device to handle emails.

Well we are on BES and with cingular having almost 2X better coverage in our area it was a no brainer switch to them.

plakius
12-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Rumor has it that cingular is switching to BIS after the holidays ..... to make sure that this is going to happen i call on a weekly bases and ask about it descibing to them what tmo has done .... i switched to cingular for 2 reasons one being the 8700 and two being the coverage .... i found that a lot of the places i am tmo has a weak signal and a friend with cingular has four bars .... when it comes to coverage cingular really does raise the bar.... yes tmo is cheaper but if it doesn't work than at least your not paying a lot ... right?!?!.... i need my phone to work everywhere at all times .... remember all cingular customers keep calling and tell them to get on the ball and update our mail system ..... if we hound them enough they will do it

wangta01
12-11-2005, 03:08 AM
Rumor has it that cingular is switching to BIS after the holidays ..... to make sure that this is going to happen i call on a weekly bases and ask about it descibing to them what tmo has done .... i switched to cingular for 2 reasons one being the 8700 and two being the coverage .... i found that a lot of the places i am tmo has a weak signal and a friend with cingular has four bars .... when it comes to coverage cingular really does raise the bar.... yes tmo is cheaper but if it doesn't work than at least your not paying a lot ... right?!?!.... i need my phone to work everywhere at all times .... remember all cingular customers keep calling and tell them to get on the ball and update our mail system ..... if we hound them enough they will do it

plakius, thank you for doing that. Im in a similar boat as you - i switched over because my parents are in a location that tmobile doesn't cover well and we're all on a family plan. From a pricing perspective, family plans on tmobile and cingular are identical (atleast the one i'm on). Plus, i have unlimited blackberry w/ enterprise which is $44.95 on cingular and tmobile. So in review, i pay the same rate as I did before on tmobile.

tfaz1
12-11-2005, 11:19 AM
That's just not true. Unlimited Enterprise on T-Mo is $29 a month. Look it up.

NJBlackBerry
12-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Unlimited Enterprise (meaning BIS and BES) is $29.99/month. We have several hundreds of these accounts. Does not include the voice part of the plan.

wangta01
12-11-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm looking at my statement, I was paying 44.95 for BES. I belive its more if you want to use it for BES? I thought this was standard accross all carriers (even though Verizon charged 49.99). Maybe I'm wrong on this.

tfaz1
12-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Wow... you should call T-Mo then. I spoke with 2 reps yesterday who both confirmed that BES was $29. I also know they have BES packaged with voice for more, but you get minutes as well. Are you sure this isn't the case?

wangta01
12-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm confused here, tmobile currently seems to charge $39.99 for BES:
http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/BlackBerryRatePlanDetails.asp?PlanID=4852

I always thought that BES is around $40-$50, for either tmobile, cingular or verizon.

wangta01
12-11-2005, 02:31 PM
I think people are confusing it with BIS, which tmobile currently charges $29.99. This is what I originally chose, but this will NOT work with your company's Blackberry ENTERPRISE server.

BIS Unlimited:
http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/BlackBerryRatePlanDetails.asp?PlanID=4842

wangta01
12-11-2005, 05:08 PM
kind of ironic, but here is the pricing for the three carriers for BES:

T-mobile - $39.99
Cingular - $44.99
Verizon - $49.99

Seems to be consistent with their reputations for pricing plans..

richard371
12-11-2005, 05:58 PM
i pay $69 on tmo for Bes 1000 voice minutes and unlimites sms.

Soapm
12-11-2005, 07:02 PM

T-mobile - $39.99
Cingular - $44.99
Verizon - $49.99

I pay $29.99 for TMO BES. Started out with the basic $19.98 BB unlimited then my company put me on their BES. I know there is a non voice BB unlimited plan, maybe that is what you guys keep quoting???

tfaz1
12-11-2005, 07:09 PM
I pay $29.99 for TMO BES. Started out with the basic $19.98 BB unlimited then my company put me on their BES. I know there is a non voice BB unlimited plan, maybe that is what you guys keep quoting???

Exactly.

VidGameKing
12-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Man... I'm paying too much with cingular...

richard371
12-13-2005, 05:47 PM
It's amazing how much better Tmobile BIS is. I now have all 7 of my email accounts including aol and gmail working. I will admit Cingular does have a slight edge in coverage(I can tell because I get the SOS on my Blackberry at times when I am in a Cingular only area). This does not happen often though. Tmobile CS and pricing is worlds above Cingular. I have had nothing but nightmares dealing with Cingular and hope I never have to give a dime to them.

If you are a large corp and only use BES and the clients don't have to deal with CS then Cingular may be better because the only advantage they have is the coverage.

Just my .02

djseto
12-13-2005, 06:02 PM
$69 on TMo for 600 anytime, Unlimited Nights and Weekends and unlimited BIS (not enterprise) blackberry data. No one even comes close to that which is the only reason I went to Tmo when I moved to a BB device.

richard371
12-13-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm on $69 for 1000 anytime, Bes, Bis, Unlimited sms/data. Same with Cingular is close to $100.

deezmfnutz
12-13-2005, 09:32 PM
$69 on TMo for 600 anytime, Unlimited Nights and Weekends and unlimited BIS (not enterprise) blackberry data. No one even comes close to that which is the only reason I went to Tmo when I moved to a BB device.

In reality T-mobiles BBcombo plans are not their best deal. A better deal (my set-up in fact):

1500 anytime + Unlimited N&W = 49.99
Unlmited Blackberry data BIS = 19.99

Total package = $69.98. Same price 900 anytime minutes for free. The only disadvantage is that the BBcombo plans come with unlmited SMS so if you use the SMS feature heavily you will have to add add an nominal SMS plan to my package. Anyway, T-mobile has the best deal going BY FAR. Plus no hassles with getting the regular BBBrowser and no troubles tethering, inlcuding EDGE with the 8700c. Coverage is just fine unless you are in a rural area, even then I have had real good luck with tmobiles roaming.

justelise
12-13-2005, 09:42 PM
I left T-Mobile almost two years ago because their coverage in my area (Orlando/Kissimmee border in FL) is marginal at best. I think their coverage has gotten a little better, but I still can't beat Cingular for voice/data coverage in all of the places I use my device. The cheap data rates on T-Mo are great and all, but I actually make phonecalls too and I've had terrible luck in that arena with T-Mobile.

justelise
12-13-2005, 09:48 PM
To be totally honest (pardon the double posting), aside from Verizon whom I will never do business with (I abhor CDMA and I don't like their customer service at all), Cingular has the widest coverage in my area. I know people with Cingular, Verizon, and Nextel blackberries, and Cingular and Verizon are neck and neck when it comes to coverage. Nextel is a distant third and probably tied with T-Mobile, but Nextel's coverage might be bolstered by the Sprint acquisition.

richard371
12-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

That is a good deal as you get more mins but I would have to add 10 for bes and 10 for sms as I use these religiously. Guess it depends on you usage needs. I never use more then 1000 a month.

djseto
12-14-2005, 11:24 AM
In reality T-mobiles BBcombo plans are not their best deal. A better deal (my set-up in fact):

1500 anytime + Unlimited N&W = 49.99
Unlmited Blackberry data BIS = 19.99

Total package = $69.98. Same price 900 anytime minutes for free. The only disadvantage is that the BBcombo plans come with unlmited SMS so if you use the SMS feature heavily you will have to add add an nominal SMS plan to my package. Anyway, T-mobile has the best deal going BY FAR. Plus no hassles with getting the regular BBBrowser and no troubles tethering, inlcuding EDGE with the 8700c. Coverage is just fine unless you are in a rural area, even then I have had real good luck with tmobiles roaming.

Oops...im $59 a month..but for $10 more...1500 minutes might be worth it..even though i dont use the 600 i have now since I have an office phone.

joginder
12-14-2005, 01:52 PM
justelise, You are right Cingular has the more wider coverage. But one thing that one time T-mo people told me was that T-mo has coverage/roaming agreement with AT&T which isnot Cingular. so in a way we as T-mo customers should get all the coverage from T-mo PLUS the coverage provided by CIngular thru roaming.
In that way I think it will make lot more sense to have the complete coverage and for 19.99 per month for BB instead of 49.99 from cingular
I know t-mo has roaming agreement with AT*T because I got my last months bill and it has some data usage thru AT*T network.

richard371
12-14-2005, 02:39 PM
I do not miss the buzzing on my speakers from the Cingular SIM that tmobile does not cause. I am required to have my speakers on for certain applications at work and would not be able to use Cingular unless I moved it far from the speaker. Tmobile is nice and quiet. My coworkers are jelous because they all have Cingular.

hondacrvaz
12-14-2005, 10:29 PM

T-mobile - $39.99
Cingular - $44.99
Verizon - $49.99

and Sprint @<hidden> $44.99

Inphektion
12-15-2005, 10:16 AM
I pay 39 from cingular. I think those prices are if you just get the BB cause with cingular you get a cheaper price with a voice plan on it and/or being a business customer with X number of lines.