PDA

View Full Version : 9700 case thoughts and suggestions...help?

splnkr
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
If all goes well (i.e., they come in) I'll be with 9700 Saturday. It will replace my venerable 8310 Curve. Nothing wrong with the latter, I just like new things and the reviews I've read about the Onyx are very positive.

My Curve is on its third LCD plastic "screen". In fact, its second entire case. I'm not really tough on them, but I was kind of a moron when it comes to "loading" the BB into the provided leather case: I did it wrong. That is, to me, the "front" of the leather case is actually the back. If you all are familiar with the 8310 case, it has a raised leather "ridge" running down..er..the front. Or, more accurately, the back. For some reason, when I first got the 8310, I was sliding the device into the leather case backward. That scratched the screen. The inside of the leather combined with the constant in-out in-out motion rubbed lines on the cover glass. Bought a new screen. As I mentioned, I am a moron, and enbded up scratching the second case. I am now training myself to put the danged thing in correctly, but for me it is counter intuitive! But I digress...

Can anyone describe the provided 9700 case? I am a cop, and keep my BB in my right uniform shirt pocket. Is it about the same as the leather case for the 8310? Same design?

Should I invest in something like a face plate screen guard, like the Seidio Ultimate? I am leaning to one of these regardless of the type of case.

What about these "huggie" style plastic or rubber cases? I think it might be harder to get out of a pocket with one of these grippy things, but I am open to suggestion. Perhaps a combination of the two: screen guard and a wrap-around "case"?

What do you all suggest or use?

Thanks!

CG

DaveTheA
12-12-2009, 12:27 AM
If you all are familiar with the 8310 case, it has a raised leather "ridge" running down..er..the front. Or, more accurately, the back. For some reason, when I first got the 8310, I was sliding the device into the leather case backward. That scratched the screen.
Can anyone describe the provided 9700 case? I am a cop, and keep my BB in my right uniform shirt pocket. Is it about the same as the leather case for the 8310? Same design?

Should I invest in something like a face plate screen guard, like the Seidio Ultimate? I am leaning to one of these regardless of the type of case.

What about these "huggie" style plastic or rubber cases? I think it might be harder to get out of a pocket with one of these grippy things, but I am open to suggestion. Perhaps a combination of the two: screen guard and a wrap-around "case"?

What do you all suggest or use?

I"m an armoured car guy, and my 9700 goes to work with me every day. When I'm driving, my BB goes into the clipcase I got with it and hangs on a microphone holder on my right side epaulet. When I'm jumping [ie riding in the back making deliveries and pickups, and wearing a belt radio] the holder goes on the left side mike loop on my body armour. This arrangement works for me, but may be too exposed for your duties...I'm not expected to tussle with the bad guys as a regular thing.

This case has a big plastic clip on the back and probably wouldn't work out in a shirt pocket. OTOH, if you were to remove the clip [essentially break it off] it might work okay. The interior of the case is smooth and lined and I can't imagine it would harm the 9700 screen.

One of my co-worker pals has a Pearl 8130...he has a rubber skin on it, and inserts the whole thing in the BB slipcase he got with the phone. It normally resides in the front pocket of his armour vest. An arrangement like this might work better for you, if you can find a slipcase that fits.

jcp007
12-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Though I have not installed them yet, the Innocase II or Snap with the Innocase holster seem to be very popular. If you do, I would advise buying, as I am planning on, the Seidio charging pod. Pods are great to reduce the abuse to the USB port.

eatkins
12-12-2009, 08:19 PM
I am a detective Sergeant and have a 9700. I ordered a Seidio Innocase 360 combo for it. I had the combo for my I-Phone and the department BB 8800. For my money they are the best for protection.

Eddie