PDA

View Full Version : Accepted Web Email Accounts For BIS?

Preroll
12-17-2009, 03:24 PM
In the wake of todays outage, a question came up again from some co-workers asking which web emails can be used with BIS? I know Yahoo and Gmail will work. Any others? I have accounts with some other email web providers and they don't seem to work. Again, this is web email vs. POP3 accounts.

Thanks.

Dubdub
12-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Well I know the carrier based email account has no web mail option. Is this what you are asking?

No way for us to tell which others. Your coworkers need to inquire of their ISPs

aiharkness
12-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

I have two ISP email accounts in addition to yahoo and windows live. For what it's worth.

x14
12-17-2009, 04:00 PM
BIS is integrated with Yahoo and Gmail but it can access any OWA, iNotes, POP3 and IMAP mail server. So there are a lot of options.

paramedic233
12-17-2009, 04:23 PM
I was actually quite pleased today that there was no BIS service. See, I just got off after working 36 hours, and forgot to mute my phone. There would have been beeps and all sorts of racket with BIS working.

Preroll
12-17-2009, 04:26 PM
BIS is integrated with Yahoo and Gmail but it can access any OWA, iNotes, POP3 and IMAP mail server. So there are a lot of options.

Out of curiosity, how are those two integrated vs. others?

I have an email account with one particular web provider and every time I try to set it up it comes back as being unable to configure. Apparently they don't offer forwarding, POP3, or anything of that nature so I don't know for sure.:?

aiharkness
12-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Out of curiosity, how are those two integrated vs. others?

I have an email account with one particular web provider and every time I try to set it up it comes back as being unable to configure. Apparently they don't offer forwarding, POP3, or anything of that nature so I don't know for sure.:?

X14 may be referring to the fact that on yahoo (and google, too, apparently), email is pushed immediately to the handset. On other accounts, BIS polls the inbox periodically and pushes new mail then, and not instantly the moment it arrives. Also, with yahoo, the show read and delete functions are supposed to reconcile in both directions between the handset and the account inbox.

By the way, windows live delivery is instantaneous, and it reconciles in one direction (handset to account), and messages sent from the handset will appear in the sent folder on windows live.

One thing you can try is use the BIS web portal at your carriers web site to set up the email. Enter a wrong password, and then select the advanced setup options, and enter the detailed information as you are prompted. See if you can add the account that way.

Preroll
12-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

One thing you can try is use the BIS web portal at your carriers web site to set up the email. Enter a wrong password, and then select the advanced setup options, and enter the detailed information as you are prompted. See if you can add the account that way.

I've never tried the BIS web portal. Apparently you need to create yet another account to log into that? Also, I read someplace that if you setup email accounts on the unit and then go into the web portal it creates issues - I don't know what issues or if that is even accurate at all but just recall someone mentioning something along those lines.

As for the one web email account, I'll need to try as you say but didn't want to jump into the web portal route until I know it won't effect my other 4 accounts that are already setup. Can't see how it would but just wanted to make sure first.

BTW...how would I find the address for VZW's web portal again?

Thanks!

rambo47
12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Verizon's BIS portal: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Preroll
12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Verizon's BIS portal: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Thanks. Why I can't find links to things like this or links to upgrade the OS from the carrier's web site is crazy. VZW's website and RIM's website just don't seem to have logical links for this stuff. Don't know why?:x

aiharkness
12-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Preroll, I don't know what you may have heard/read about issues. Yeah, you will have to create a login at your carrier's web site, but it's should be no big deal. Plus, there should be other benefits to you at your carrier's web site, such as managing your account online versus having to call customer service. Plus, as far as I know, it still isn't possible to change your signature from the handset; you have to do it at the web portal.

zerog46
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Let me Google that for you.

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=verizon+wireless+bis+site)

zerog46
12-18-2009, 12:50 PM
And no I'm not being a smart a$$, just showing you how easy it is to find. And not you will not have any problems with setting everything up on the BIS Site.

Noodle22
12-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I do admit I cannot find the OS updates on my carrier or RIM's site and just follow the links people leave in my device specific forum :razz:

But I also probably don't look hard enough, and google is always a good choice.

Preroll
12-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Preroll, I don't know what you may have heard/read about issues. Yeah, you will have to create a login at your carrier's web site, but it's should be no big deal. Plus, there should be other benefits to you at your carrier's web site, such as managing your account online versus having to call customer service. Plus, as far as I know, it still isn't possible to change your signature from the handset; you have to do it at the web portal.

Thanks and yes, I'm able to change the signature by editing the email account on the handset (at least with VZW).

Preroll
12-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Let me Google that for you.

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=verizon+wireless+bis+site)

I know I know. I find MOST stuff that way usually but what I was implying is that the websites that host this stuff never give you a logical link to finding it. I shouldn't have to Google some of this stuff but unfortunately we all have no choice but to do so. Kind of ridiculous I think.

aiharkness
12-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Thanks and yes, I'm able to change the signature by editing the email account on the handset (at least with VZW).

Interesting. I can view my signature, but not edit it.

I'm curious, can you edit filters from the handset?

It must be controlled/implemented by the carrier. Don't know if VZW is unique or if other carriers provide for editing the signature from the handset as well.

zerog46
12-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I can edit my sig from the handheld.

zerog46
12-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I know I know. I find MOST stuff that way usually but what I was implying is that the websites that host this stuff never give you a logical link to finding it. I shouldn't have to Google some of this stuff but unfortunately we all have no choice but to do so. Kind of ridiculous I think.

Check the FAQ's there is info for all the carriers.

Preroll
12-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Interesting. I can view my signature, but not edit it.

I'm curious, can you edit filters from the handset?

It must be controlled/implemented by the carrier. Don't know if VZW is unique or if other carriers provide for editing the signature from the handset as well.

Available Settings/Options Are:

*Email Acct name
*Reply To
*Your Name
*User Name
*Password
*Signature
*Auto BCC To
*Deleted Items - Sync deleted items between this mailbox and device?

Then under Advanced Settings:
*Email Server (pop.x.x)
*Use SSL?

That's about it.