PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked 8700c tethered internet using T-mobile, WORKING

deezmfnutz
12-11-2005, 12:19 AM
So I finally got my unlocked 8700c to tether with my laptop to get internet via my cellphone via the T-mobile EDGE netowrk. The results are okay, but not great.

My speeds are around:
Download = 63 kbps or 7.8 KB/sec.
Upload Speed = 6 kbps or 0.8 KB/sec.
Latency around 1.4 to 1.8 seconds.

about 5 times faster than GPRS but still MUCH slower than 1x or evdo.

Had to make some changes to the advanced init string parameters to get it connect. If you are having troubles dialing use the following init string (AGAIN THIS IS FOR USING AN UNLOCKED 8700c ON T-MOBILE):

+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

What kinda speed are you guys getting?

Stinsonddog
12-11-2005, 09:24 AM
and where did you test your speeds? After I get my bill next week, I will hook up again. I want to be sure what my data charges will be.

deezmfnutz
12-11-2005, 09:47 AM
and where did you test your speeds? After I get my bill next week, I will hook up again. I want to be sure what my data charges will be.

Ahh yes of course, DSL reports speed tests. Do you know of a better speed test site? Again these are tethered speeds.

Stinsonddog
12-11-2005, 10:01 AM
So I assume you tether, then point to the site, and which one do you choose?

deezmfnutz
12-11-2005, 10:11 AM
So I assume you tether, then point to the site, and which one do you choose?

dslreports.com

select tools from the left hand icon column

select speed tests

i tested with speakeasy, megapath, and line link.

then i went back to the tools section and selected mobile speed tests and ran a couple of tests at 100k, 200k.

the mobile speed tests only test download speed, but they also provide a latency figure. the regular speed tests give both upload and download results, however they give no latancy numbers.

i am getting download speeds in the 65-75 kbs range/upload 6-7 kbs/ and latancy of 1.4-1.8 seconds.

AGAIN THESE RESULTS ARE ON THE TMOBILE EDGE DATA NETWORK.

I will run some random tests at different times of the day to see if I can get a little better results, maybe there is network congestion etc? My results are about half of what I was expecting. I was hoping to get download speeds in the 100-120 kbs range. How are you guys doing speed wise on the Cingular network when tethered?

Stinsonddog
12-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Have you seen my 8700c tips. Just changed my signature to enable downloads easier. Did you change your DUN to max out the download speed. Not sure it really matters. It's really a question. Again, I am unlikely to try more until I know the cost of the data, but thanks.

deezmfnutz
12-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Have you seen my 8700c tips. Just changed my signature to enable downloads easier. Did you change your DUN to max out the download speed. Not sure it really matters. It's really a question. Again, I am unlikely to try more until I know the cost of the data, but thanks.

I will change that setting, but it is clear that the bottle neck is not the SERIAL-USB connection from CPU->8700c but rather the 8700c->INTERNET bottleneck. I will try jacking the port speed up it may help. I will report back.

deezmfnutz
12-11-2005, 11:12 AM

Okay I changed the setting and tried again. Still maxing out at around 85 kbps. This is on T-Mobile EDGE in NYC. Anyone else have any numbers to compare with? I noticed that on the mobile test log there are plently of tmodns.net people who are getting MUCH better results. Any clues?

daveinpa
12-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Just for clairification - I get my 8700c tomorrow - but can I jump onto TMO network on an unlocked Cingular 8700c? If not, can this be achieved with Cingular's network - the tethering via bluetooth? Please advise. Thanks.

deezmfnutz
12-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Just for clairification - I get my 8700c tomorrow - but can I jump onto TMO network on an unlocked Cingular 8700c? If not, can this be achieved with Cingular's network - the tethering via bluetooth? Please advise. Thanks.

I am tethering with a USB cable not via bluetooth wireless.

daveinpa
12-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I am tethering with a USB cable not via bluetooth wireless.
WOW. So all I do is use my USB cable to hook directly into BB... AWESOME. I'm coming from a WM 2003 machine (Siemens SX66 smartphone - 6 months old) and can't wait to get onto a faster network ---> EDGE versus GPRS.

Any idea if Cingular will wack me with extra charges for using their network to access higher speed EDGE network?

Stinsonddog
12-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Search the other threads. It's not clear what they will be. I am waiting for my bill but it will be under a corporate rate.

WOW. So all I do is use my USB cable to hook directly into BB... AWESOME. I'm coming from a WM 2003 machine (Siemens SX66 smartphone - 6 months old) and can't wait to get onto a faster network ---> EDGE versus GPRS.

Any idea if Cingular will wack me with extra charges for using their network to access higher speed EDGE network?

Stinsonddog
12-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Gotta use the cable. Just for clairification - I get my 8700c tomorrow - but can I jump onto TMO network on an unlocked Cingular 8700c? If not, can this be achieved with Cingular's network - the tethering via bluetooth? Please advise. Thanks.

daveinpa
12-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Search the other threads. It's not clear what they will be. I am waiting for my bill but it will be under a corporate rate.
Interesting - so they do know you're on the network from a different device (like a laptop). Can't imagine how they would charge for that service. Can't wait to hear what you find. Thanks.

invisik
04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Downloading the latest version of the Mozilla browser, I'm getting about 15KB/sec. T-Mobile 8700 purchased today in the Minneapolis, MN area. Not bad!

-m

astcell
04-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Since the phone is bluetooth, if you have a bluetooth enabled laptop can you avoid the USB cable and surf, wirelessly tethered, with the 8700c on your belt?

deezmfnutz
04-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Since the phone is bluetooth, if you have a bluetooth enabled laptop can you avoid the USB cable and surf, wirelessly tethered, with the 8700c on your belt?

Although your supposition makes perfect sense, the quick and dirty answer is NO. RIM has decided to cripple bluetooth implementation on their handhelds, ostensibly for security concerns; thus to my knowledge it is still impossible to enable wireless bluetooth data/internet tethering as of right now. RIM may decide to pull their head out of their ass in the future and enable this functionality in the future via a firmware/OS update.....the question is: will it be too late? I am going to jump ship to an alternate hardware/OS platform AS SOON as the Nokia E61 or SE P990 are available (with BBconnect of course). Stay tuned.

Salty!

astcell
04-17-2006, 09:47 PM
I feel like I am at a Macy's fire sale and all I have is a Gimball's credit card. Tethering is real important to me! I just calculated the price or a basic plan with unlimited international e-mail and the lowest phone plans, hardware and service for two years, is (Amazon:$2040, Cingular:$2565, TMO: $1550). Now I just need to figure out why I can get Cingular service in Qatar and not TMO. Hmmm.

Steverock
04-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Would someone kindly provide step by step instructions on how to do this?
Thanks very much.