PDA

View Full Version : email app

SammyJ.
12-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Wirelessly posted

Looking for an email app that can handle multiple email accounts and not pull mail from server untill asked to. Chattermail for treo was like this!

dc/dc
12-19-2009, 08:23 PM
You need something other than a BlackBerry if you want "pull" mail instead of "push". I recommend Windows Mobile.

Dubdub
12-19-2009, 09:37 PM
No other email client that I know of for the BB. Did you try a search on Google?

aiharkness
12-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Nah, dc is right. The blackberry is purpose built for push email.

I hate to see people frustrating themselves trying to make the blackberry something that it's not. It's a waste of time and energy.
Decide what you want and find the device that does it.

Dubdub
12-19-2009, 10:05 PM
I must agree with the others. If you want "pull" email, then the BB is not the device for you.

statik
12-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Wirelessly posted

Logicmail. Its free and works great. Don't listen to the others. lol.
Does exactly what you are asking for. Handles multiple accounts and only retrieves mail when you run it.
And can leave the mails on the server if you want.

http://logicmail.org/ota/

http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail

dc/dc
12-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Wirelessly posted

Does exactly what you are asking for. Handles multiple accounts and only retrieves mail when you run it.

LogicMail Installation (http://logicmail.org/ota/)

LogicMail for BlackBerry (http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail)

No, he should listen to us. Just because there is software that does what he wants doesn't mean he should use it. Using software to pull mail completely defeats the purpose of having a BlackBerry. The best thing to use to pull mail is a device that is made for it.

aiharkness
12-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Wirelessly posted

LogicMail Installation (http://logicmail.org/ota/)

LogicMail for BlackBerry (http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail)

It's the thinking process, the mindset, statik. Different strokes for different folks, but someone has to tell people that if they are carrying a blackberry and trying to make it behave like a treo, they will have one headache after another. If they want the functions of android, or iphone, or palm, they should get the device that does what they want better than any other device. They will be happier and more productive.

scottjb
12-20-2009, 11:11 AM
No, he should listen to us. Just because there is software that does what he wants doesn't mean he should use it. Using software to pull mail completely defeats the purpose of having a BlackBerry. The best thing to use to pull mail is a device that is made for it.
Perhaps that's your purpose for a BB device, but please don't assume it's everyone's. My purpose includes email, but I'm not a big fan of RIM's implementation being the only way. I chose a BB device mainly for the small, slim size and light weight--my first device was a Pearl 8130, now I have a Curve 2 8530. I can't get that form factor in a Windows Mobile device and I don't like touch screens. That leaves very few choices for me. Web and email are the main items for me, but I don't need push--timed pull is fine.

dc/dc
12-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Perhaps that's your purpose for a BB device, but please don't assume it's everyone's. My purpose includes email, but I'm not a big fan of RIM's implementation being the only way. I chose a BB device mainly for the small, slim size and light weight--my first device was a Pearl 8130, now I have a Curve 2 8530. I can't get that form factor in a Windows Mobile device and I don't like touch screens. That leaves very few choices for me. Web and email are the main items for me, but I don't need push--timed pull is fine.

It's not just my purpose, it is the manufacturer's. BlackBerry is made for push mail. Period. An HTC Ozone, Samsung Saga, or even a Droid would have been much better for you and the OP (if he/she uses VZW).

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you anymore. You like your jerry-rigged setup, and that's what's important.

scottjb
12-20-2009, 09:21 PM
It's not just my purpose, it is the manufacturer's. BlackBerry is made for push mail. Period. An HTC Ozone, Samsung Saga, or even a Droid would have been much better for you and the OP (if he/she uses VZW).

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you anymore. You like your jerry-rigged setup, and that's what's important.
Sorry you think this is an argument. It's not. I'm just presenting another point of view. :?

FYI. I assume a you mean to communicate a negative connotation for "jerry-rigged." I believe you actually mean "jury-rigged" which is not necessarily negative--it can be impressive in its ingenuity. "Jerry-built" is usually used in a negative way. I believe you confused the two. I don't consider my setup either jerry-built or jury-rigged. I use the Gmail client which works fine for me. It gives me access to all my folders and eliminates the lag/absence of two-way syncing in Gmail.

dc/dc
12-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Sorry you think this is an argument. It's not. I'm just presenting another point of view. :?

FYI. I assume a you mean to communicate a negative connotation for "jerry-rigged." I believe you actually mean "jury-rigged" which is not necessarily negative--it can be impressive in its ingenuity. "Jerry-built" is usually used in a negative way. I believe you confused the two. I don't consider my setup either jerry-built or jury-rigged. I use the Gmail client which works fine for me. It gives me access to all my folders and eliminates the lag/absence of two-way syncing in Gmail.

You should have just left your original post. You are arguing and nitpicking something not even related to the topic.

jerry-rigged - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/JERRY-RIGGED)

Just leave it be sweetheart.

scottjb
12-20-2009, 10:01 PM
You should have just left your original post. You are arguing and nitpicking something not even related to the topic.

jerry-rigged - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/JERRY-RIGGED)

Just leave it be sweetheart.
I beg to differ--I am not arguing. 8-)

SammyJ.
12-20-2009, 11:13 PM
OK,

I did not mean to start a war!

I now understand push and pull email systems, and tried several apps for pull.

They work but slow down my BB. So I am going back and add other emails the BIS system. Maybe I can't turn them off, but I can set the profile to silent!

After using palms and palm treo, the BB 8330 is the best and most stable device to date. Just try and take it away!

Thanks All!

statik
12-20-2009, 11:18 PM
OK,

I did not mean to start a war!

I now understand push and pull email systems, and tried several apps for pull.

They work but slow down my BB. So I am going back and add other emails the BIS system. Maybe I can't turn them off, but I can set the profile to silent!

After using palms and palm treo, the BB 8330 is the best and most stable device to date. Just try and take it away!

Thanks All!

did you try logicmail?

aiharkness
12-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

I think, after reading the forums for years, that a lot of people, those who come to the blackberry without knowing what it is, don't understand that blackberry is an end to end system. It's as dc/dc says, the manufacturer (RIM) has built the blackberry to be the hardware interface to their service. The blackberry is a solution to a particular user need. It is not like a pc, which is more or less meant to be whatever the user wants it to be.
The iphone is similar. It is only the hardware component in an end to end system solution for a particular market. Just consider how much Apple controls (or tries to control) the product and the way it is presented to and used by the end user. And we see google headed in that direction with intentions to manufacture of their own hardware.

Yeah, sure, you can use the blackberry in ways that are not ideal if that's what you want to do, if it works for you. But that's the key. If it works for you. It doesn't work for many people, and they are banging their head against the wall trying to make it work.

The best advice, always, is to list your must-haves, and buy the device that best meets those needs.

scottjb
12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (8820)

I think, after reading the forums for years, that a lot of people, those who come to the blackberry without knowing what it is, don't understand that blackberry is an end to end system...
Yeah, sure, you can use the blackberry in ways that are not ideal if that's what you want to do, if it works for you...
Well put. The notion of BIS/BES is foreign to many users. Active Sync is comaprable for delivering email, but is still under control of what the handset wants it to do. You can specify "quiet hours" to suspend delivery. You're free to push or pull email when you want to. I hadn't thought of the comparison, but RIM is not much different from Apple when it comes to controlling the hardware/software environment.