PDA

View Full Version : Got some updated news on IM and the WAP.APN plans on Cingular...

mzini
12-11-2005, 01:01 PM
As many of you know, I've been in the same position as many here on the boards, regarding the "tunnel error" and instant messenging programs. I've tried everything possible that has been recommended here on the boards (multiple times), and have had no luck, and I know that many of you are the same way. So, I've been contacting Cingular and got some interesting news.

According to the rep I talked to who supposedly was pretty far up in the chain (and trust me, I know how every Cingular rep can tell you different things, lol), they are now requiring a MediaNet plan on top of blackberry plans in order to use WAP.APN. So, for now on, they won't add it to your account free of charge. You have to purchase one of the plans on: www.cingular.com/medianet

Personally, I think this flatout sucks. The unlimited MediaNet plan is 19.99/mo. One of the features that you pay for that is included in this plan is the ability to browse the web! Well guess what Cingular... we already pay for that with the unlimited blackberry plan for a whopping $50/mo. So, we would be looking at $70/mo to have unlimited everything... after taxes that goes up to $90 (and then your voice plan on top of this). In my opinion they should at least discount this to $9.99/mo for blackberry unlimited users (in reality they should just give it to you with the blackberry unlimited to be honest). I don't feel like adding another $20 to my bill ($25 with taxes) just to add WAP.APN.

I am going to call and state my case. What do you guys think... has anyone else been told the same thing?

avironeur
12-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Does anyone else not find this latest move by Cingular to be a bit ridiculous? That sounds like some Verizon BS.

Stinsonddog
12-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Clearly modem use, and sounds like IM use too? Not Blackberry Messenger, but what about things like bblocal and jiveslide?

VidGameKing
12-11-2005, 03:03 PM
will they charge for the use of the internet browsers that come with the blackberry? I pay for unlimited service, and was told that I can browse the web for free, no extra charges. I don't tether my BB, and I don't use other applications, just the ones that it came with out of the box.

It would really really really tick me off if I had to pay more to use what I've already got!

Stinsonddog
12-11-2005, 03:06 PM
You can use the standard apps under the unlimited BB plan.

will they chard for the use of the internet browsers that come with the blackberry? I pay for unlimited service, and was told that I can browse the web for free, no extra charges. I don't tether my BB, and I don't use other applications, just the ones that it came with out of the box.

It would really really really tick me off if I had to pay more to use what I've already got!

avironeur
12-11-2005, 03:42 PM
But what about things like Verichat and IM+? I refuse to pay extra for that when I can get it for free on other carriers' unlimited Blackberry plans.

VidGameKing
12-11-2005, 03:42 PM
whew! I got worried there! because with all this added speed I've been browsing like there's no tomorrow! And, although stand alone apps are cool I've found that the information they provide is available on the internet too, so the ability to browse fast eliminates the need for stand alone apps. that and I can IM with yahoo, and AOL online without the need of an app.

VidGameKing
12-11-2005, 03:47 PM
But what about things like Verichat and IM+? I refuse to pay extra for that when I can get it for free on other carriers' unlimited Blackberry plans.

Then go to other carriers, Cingular doesn't care about you! they don't care about me either! Cingular HATES their customers and would really rather see them all off with some other phone company. While they bugger off alone!

Lets see the ONLY thing Cingular has over T-Mo is that is some very select locations Cingular has better coverage!

I wonder what's Cingular playing at!

mzini
12-11-2005, 04:04 PM
will they chard for the use of the internet browsers that come with the blackberry? I pay for unlimited service, and was told that I can browse the web for free, no extra charges. I don't tether my BB, and I don't use other applications, just the ones that it came with out of the box.

Nope, basically...with unlimited blackberry on cingular you get unlimited email and web browsing using the cingular and html browser. Anything else that runs on WAP you may be charged for... IF you can even get it to work in the first place. I've definitely heard of select cases where people seem to get their apps to connect and don't get charged for them... though this is rare. Most on these boards are having the same issue I am.

mzini
12-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Clearly modem use, and sounds like IM use too? Not Blackberry Messenger, but what about things like bblocal and jiveslide?

Not sure... again, basically anything that runs WAP you can run the risk of getting charged for. Sucks, doesn't it! :razz: The only IM program I've gotten to work is IM+ (but I hate it), the others all seem to need WAP (yak-on, ramble, webmessenger, verichat, etc).

danbedford
12-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Ok, so what I'm gathering from reading this thread, if I am using an IM program (in my case, Yak-on), then I will most likely be charged for it?

I have my TCP settings in Advanced Options set to the whole WAP.CINGULAR thing, and I'm pretty sure that's what got my IM working.

mzini
12-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Ok, so what I'm gathering from reading this thread, if I am using an IM program (in my case, Yak-on), then I will most likely be charged for it?

I have my TCP settings in Advanced Options set to the whole WAP.CINGULAR thing, and I'm pretty sure that's what got my IM working.

There is a CHANCE you may be charged, but again, there are cases of some people getting around it. What are the TCP settings you are using with yak-on?

alann
12-11-2005, 05:47 PM
hummm i called and the Blackberry rep added wap.cingular plan to my account and she said it was no charge...does this mean they are gonna start charging for data??

jonlevine
12-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm on an 8700c, BIS, and have my TCP set to "WAP@<hidden>". I use Jiveslide, bbLocal, Verichat, bbSpell, and PocketDay without any problems. I have also NOT been charged for usage of any of these programs. I have also never called Cingular to add anything to my account. I only have the 'Unlimited Data Plan" along with voice.

Prior to setting my TCP settings, I received the "tunnel error", but once it was set, I have had no issue.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and wondering if it is different for people in different parts of the country.

mzini
12-11-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm on an 8700c, BIS, and have my TCP set to "WAP@<hidden>". I use Jiveslide, bbLocal, Verichat, bbSpell, and PocketDay without any problems. I have also NOT been charged for usage of any of these programs. I have also never called Cingular to add anything to my account. I only have the 'Unlimited Data Plan" along with voice.

Prior to setting my TCP settings, I received the "tunnel error", but once it was set, I have had no issue.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and wondering if it is different for people in different parts of the country.

What username and pass did you use, just for the reference of all of us? Also, is your firewall on or off? Did you change anything else or just add the TCP?

mzini
12-11-2005, 06:05 PM
hummm i called and the Blackberry rep added wap.cingular plan to my account and she said it was no charge...does this mean they are gonna start charging for data??

How long ago was that? Who knows...

alann
12-11-2005, 06:06 PM
i called in yesterday afternoon 12/10/05

mzini
12-11-2005, 06:11 PM
damn are you serious... lol... I need to keep calling. So how did you word it? Did you just call and say that you would like wap.cingular added to your account or what?

alann
12-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Depends who you talk to i guess. The csr that I spoke with had no idea what's going on. Then i told her to add the wap.cingular plan to my account and first she said i don't need it because I should have already have it with the blackberry unlimited plan. then she said she'll do it again, restarted the device and it works.

alann
12-11-2005, 06:32 PM
If its pay-per-kb then description of that should show up on my bill right? here's what i go to current feature on cingular's website:

Basic_Voice_Mail $0.00
Cingular Domestic LD $0.00
Cingular Roam LD $0.00
Multimedia-PayPerMsg $0.00
Direct Bill Detail $0.00
Text Messaging 200 $4.99
XM with BB and V UN $44.99
Unlimited N&W $0.00
Rollover FM 1400 $0.00
Off-Network Roam $0.00
GSM Coverage Area $0.00
Cingular Direct Bill $0.00
Unlimited Expd M2M $0.00
Total: $49.98

jonlevine
12-11-2005, 06:36 PM
mzini:

APN: wap.cingular
Username for APN: WAP@<hidden>
Password for APn: CINGULAR1

I didn't make any other changes other than the TCP settings and everything has worked fine.

gabeosx
12-11-2005, 07:04 PM
I do not get charged per kilobyte and I'm a Cingular customer. You need to keep calling. Do not let them sign you up for data connect or medianet. It is simply something that needs to be added to your account. My BlackBerry couldn't use the APN out of the box and I called 3 different lines (611, then BlackBerry support, and finally my company's dedicated support line). I finally got a rep who knew how to set up my account.

The thing is that the rep on the BlackBerry support line told me I need a data connect plan and I said "fine, put a pay per usage plan on my account." He claimed that one did not exist in the system. To me, that is a sign that it is a problem with the provisioning.

If I were you, I would email this address: stan.sigman@<hidden> it is the office of the CEO. I think its definitely worth escilating it to this level... every other day there is a thread on some wireless forum about how Cingular screwed up their BlackBerry billing. I'm sure BlackBerry is a very important product for Cingular and the higher ups should know how the CS reps are screwing them out of money from people cancelling their BB service.

nwmud
12-11-2005, 07:29 PM
mzini,

I know you have heard this before. Talking to the Blackberry support at Cingular and having them add wap as per other threads around here is all it takes. I got it the first time armed with data from the forums. They said that the system would not add it on top of the Blackberry plan. But when I insisted they put it on and it took it. No more tunnel errors from then on.

It does bug me that the reps give everyone different answers when they call. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop when they charge me for $600 worth of data connection.

bigboy
12-11-2005, 09:35 PM
mzini:

Password for APn: CINGULAR1

I didn't make any other changes other than the TCP settings and everything has worked fine.

is it "WAP@<hidden>" or "WAP@<hidden>" ?

mws222
12-11-2005, 10:12 PM
ordered mine today, hopefully i won't have any problems adding it when i call to get the bb unlimited added when i receive the phone

XDS
12-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Any help with HSDA.CINGULAR.COM High Speed Data Acceleration.

Hrmm...

Regards,
~

mzini
12-12-2005, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I am going to keep on trying. So far, every rep I have talked to has told me that I need to pay for a medianet plan... guess I haven't got that lucky CS rep yet! It's too bad these reps dont have direct lines so that once we get the name and number of a rep who knows what they are doing we can post it here hahahaha :smile:

And regarding the APN, I thought it was @<hidden> not @<hidden>?

XDS
12-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Wait A minute did I miss something , isn't all cingular's high speed capable phones supposed to use the CINGONE.HSDA or something like that.

Regards,
~

XDS
12-12-2005, 01:14 AM

Someone needs to blast the forum and get everyone informed about some of the nice little WAP Acceleration proxies like OnSpeed.com .

Regards,
~

jonlevine
12-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Again, this is EXACTLY how mine is set up and it works without fail:

Password for APN: CINGULAR1

mgerbasio
12-12-2005, 11:32 AM
FWIW, my TCP settings were blank. No problems using the browsers, pocketday or bblocal. I was able to connect my laptop and use the bb as a modem. However, all the speed tests were low. When connected as a modem I was getting only 65kbps. Using the dslreports page on the bb I was getting 12kbps.

I changed the settings as noted by jonlevine and now, on the bb, I'm getting 38-41kbps from dslreports. I haven't checked the laptop yet, nor have I checked to see if I'm being billed for data. Slower than I expected but much better than gprs.

Regards-Michael G.

indysully
12-12-2005, 04:22 PM
I got my 8700c on Friday and converted to Orange from a 7290 on Blue. I spoke with the data help desk over the weekend because my SMS was not working and he validated that the wap.cingular was included in the cost of my BB data package. I will see when the bill comes on 12/15 and post more information.

hf1khal
12-12-2005, 04:48 PM
I got my 8700c on Friday and converted to Orange from a 7290 on Blue. I spoke with the data help desk over the weekend because my SMS was not working and he validated that the wap.cingular was included in the cost of my BB data package. I will see when the bill comes on 12/15 and post more information.

This was my case too. On the first day that i got the 8700 one rep told me that media net can not be added while the main one said it is included. Any way, I have sice communicated directly with BB support personel who went over my account carefully and made sure that all was good. One thing that they found was a provision for pay per use and that has since been removed and all has been working on the wap side. I will know more once I get my first full month on the BB plan and hopefully it will be correct but at least I am comfortable knowing that a couple of people are stnding by to correct it if something is out of the norm.

nb_mitch
12-12-2005, 05:06 PM
My last bill had charges, I called and they removed them all and made "some changes", I will see this month, but I sure don't want to have to call every month to get the charges removed and run the risk of someday have to pay the fees. On said thing is the data useage on the website doesn't give you detailed info. The charge items show up different than the free data. It would be nice if Cingular put the detail on the website so you could see the charges before the end of the month and that $1000 bill ;)

Airpoppoff
12-12-2005, 05:55 PM
I've talked to 3 different cingular data reps, and none of them even had a clue as what to it is that i'm talking about.

This is annoying the crap out of me.

mmcpher
12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Dumb question warning! When you are entering in the password, how can you confirm that the letters are going in in upper case, since they appear as asterisks?

mgerbasio
12-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Dumb question warning! When you are entering in the password, how can you confirm that the letters are going in in upper case, since they appear as asterisks?

Press the "alt" key the the "cap" key and you'll see a large up arrow in the top right corner. That puts you in upper case mode.

Regards-Michael G.

jonlevine
12-12-2005, 09:03 PM
FWIW, my TCP settings were blank. No problems using the browsers, pocketday or bblocal. I was able to connect my laptop and use the bb as a modem. However, all the speed tests were low. When connected as a modem I was getting only 65kbps. Using the dslreports page on the bb I was getting 12kbps.

I changed the settings as noted by jonlevine and now, on the bb, I'm getting 38-41kbps from dslreports. I haven't checked the laptop yet, nor have I checked to see if I'm being billed for data. Slower than I expected but much better than gprs.

Regards-Michael G.

I get about the same speeds from DSLReports when I tether and go there from my laptop.

mzini
12-12-2005, 09:42 PM
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got my WAP to work, and I didn't even call Cingular! All I did was use WAP@<hidden> instead of WAP@<hidden>, which is what I've always tried and thought it was. As soon as I switched it, everything works now.

I'm using Ramble IM. Sweet program

Jonlevine - you were right! I am so happy to finally have this solved! I just hope I don't get data charges... but from what I'm reading on those boards it doesn't seem like I will. If I do, I will call and complain.

torifile
12-13-2005, 12:22 AM
No luck here with any of the settings. I tried calling cingular, but they are closed already. I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get them to add wap.cingular to my APN settings.

RDEMP
12-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Hi, I'm new but I've been lurking for awhile. Loving my blackberry more and more everyday. To further muddle things, I contacted cingular tonight and reported this problem. The csr first told me that it would cost to add any wap.cingular plans. However, she said that my account should include isp.cingular at no cost. This was provisioned and now all my programs work. Go figure.

benbac
12-13-2005, 02:25 AM
You guys may be misunderstanding each other and hearing the wrong things.

It's pointless in bashing on cingular if you don't have the right information.

what mzini stated is incorrect.

Cingular does NOT require the MediaNet plan in addition to your blackberry plan. You do not need MediaNet to add the wap.cingular APN, plus the blackberry's aren't considered "MediaNet" capable phones.

If you're on Cingular (orange sim) and you have the bb data plan do the following (and is properly on your account):
first follow: kyle16's post: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=103060
then follow Mark's thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185
Go to Options->TCP
Username: WAP@<hidden>
Password: CINGULAR1

once you save your tcp settings and hard reset your phone (remove battery, wait about 10 seconds), if you still can't run your tcp based apps (eg. verichat, ramble, yak-on, etc..)

That means your account is missing the wap.cingular apn.

All you have to do is call up Data Services at (866) 490-2666 and ask them to add the apn to your account. don't beat around the bush, don't even mention to them that you have 3rd party apps that's not working, just tell them, "can you add the wap.cingular apn to my account", that's it.

as for CS reps (the people who answer the 611 calls), they won't help with this, it's pointless in speaking to any of them because they don't know anything about blackberry related issues because they weren't trained to. if you are on teh phone with themm, just tell them to patch you through to data services.

After you complete these steps, you should be fine. And again, if they are charging you for medianet, dispute it, any additional charges, dispute it. Cingulars billing system has been running into some issues with incorrect billing statements and overcharges, so make sure you check your bills.

mzini
12-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Benbac,

I was simply going by what three different reps IN the data department told me (not 611 customer service), as well as the "manager" that was available at the time. So, the department you are saying knows everything apparently didn't.

Also, you said that Blackberry phones are not considered medianet compatible phones, yet they are listed under medianet capable phones on cingular.com/medianet. And also, the username WAP@<hidden> did not work on my account, but everything worked great once I changed it to WAP@<hidden>.

And finally, I do believe all of us that have been in the situation I have been in have a right to be upset with Cingular. I've been told different things everytime that I've called for weeks... what kind of customer service is that? I run three businesses and I don't have the time to spend all day on a support line. For what I pay Cingular, I expect prompt support and correct responses... I don't think that is too much to ask at all. One of the things you pay for in your monthly bill is customer service, so I expect it to be there.

Anyway, everything works on my blackberry now. Let's just hope I don't get charges or Cingular, unfortunately, will be getting another call from me.

torifile
12-13-2005, 11:51 AM
benbac,

Thanks for the advice! It worked like a charm. When he asked what I needed it for, I said "so my tcp applications will work." That was that. :)

mmcpher
12-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Another FWIW, but this is the key, IMHO:" All you have to do is call up Data Services at (866) 490-2666"

You have to get past the regular Cingular Rep, as they are not up to speed as of this point, and are resistant to making requested changes. I guess I got the right guy on the phone, because he cured my tunnel errors, seemingly at a keystroke. I took down and saved my "case number" which contains the fix that the guy worked, so that if it recurs, I can bypass the spinning the Cingular Wheel of technical service fortune.

tdo
12-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Another FWIW, but this is the key, IMHO:" All you have to do is call up Data Services at (866) 490-2666"

You have to get past the regular Cingular Rep, as they are not up to speed as of this point, and are resistant to making requested changes. I guess I got the right guy on the phone, because he cured my tunnel errors, seemingly at a keystroke. I took down and saved my "case number" which contains the fix that the guy worked, so that if it recurs, I can bypass the spinning the Cingular Wheel of technical service fortune.

I just called Data Services and requested that they add the wap.cingular APN to my account. I was told that the only way it could be added was to add one of the Medianet plans or be billed at the pay as you go rate for wap data so apparently you have to speak to the correct rep.

Airpoppoff
12-13-2005, 08:27 PM
I just called Data Services and requested that they add the wap.cingular APN to my account. I was told that the only way it could be added was to add one of the Medianet plans or be billed at the pay as you go rate for wap data so apparently you have to speak to the correct rep.
same here, wtf is that mean?

torifile
12-13-2005, 08:50 PM
When I spoke to the rep today, he said that it's supposed to be automatically provisioned on all BBs, but for some reason, it wasn't on mine. The implication of that is that there's no need to get medianet in addition to the data plan. Cingular's very confused....

The key, I think, is to be very matter of fact about it. Just say "I need wap.cingular added as my APN". That's it.

Airpoppoff
12-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Jesus christ, After Hours and hours of troubleshooting, FINALLY!

It took me 3 times to get ahold of a rep that would actually add it on to the account, and finally I did, and he added it on, and WAHLAHHHH works absolutely perfect.

He said that The "new" BBUNL plans actually have the feature embedded, but mine didint, and I got my first blackberry 2 weeks ago lol.

If you get someone who tries to tell you its a media net plan, tell them you'll call back, I had this guy make me a ticket number, and then I was out, now EVERYTHING works perfect!

Airpoppoff
12-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Also just to let you know Mine works with

WAP@<hidden>
AND
WAP@<hidden>

alann
12-14-2005, 04:40 AM
I noticed when i plug in my sim with unlimited Blackberry data plan to a treo 650. I was able to get EDGE connection. Is this normal or did Cingular is charging me pay per use MediaNet??

mws222
12-14-2005, 09:18 PM
wow i just had the best experience...the rep spoke of the forums and asked if i could look up the code on the forum for him so it would be quicker

Airpoppoff
12-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Lol in before site shutdown :)

mws222
12-15-2005, 04:31 PM
just to clarify what does everyone show on their features list on the cingular site for the feature code? i just want to make sure i got it added correctly and won't be charged

ssicilia
12-19-2005, 01:42 AM
I too have the 8700 with Cingular's unlimited blackberry plan, yet when i went to check my data usage online it said i have 637kb overage and 0kb of available data for the month. Meaning I will be charged everytime I go online. I am going to call in the morning and try to sort this out. If anyone has any advice please help. Thanks

RoadRider
12-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Another success story after getting wap.cingular access point turned on. Hope I don't have to do battle later on billing/data use in-spite of having BBUNL

Stinsonddog
12-19-2005, 10:21 AM
I posted my data charges.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=22038

I too have the 8700 with Cingular's unlimited blackberry plan, yet when i went to check my data usage online it said i have 637kb overage and 0kb of available data for the month. Meaning I will be charged everytime I go online. I am going to call in the morning and try to sort this out. If anyone has any advice please help. Thanks

wangta01
12-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Guys, all this back and forth is confusing as hell.
I just put in the following :
Username: WAP@<hidden>
Password: CINGULAR1

I can now connect use Ramble - i'm assuming I'm fine? I did not call Cingular to get this working. Can i assume that I will NOT be charged for this?

darkhorse
01-04-2006, 09:35 AM
OK. The compiled fruits of my efforts.

On a BlackBerry 8700c with no additional account setup (just BB Unlimited and Voice)

For Modem Use (Yes this works too ;-)

Modem Properties:
Initialization String: +cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"

Dial-up Properties:
USERNAME: WAP@<hidden>
PASSWORD: CINGULAR1

On an side note I did this during my last billing period and It showed up on my bill as used data, however, there was no charge for it.

Hope this helps !

Jelly Bean
01-04-2006, 11:06 AM

I just downloaded black berry messenger yesterday, and it looks like it is on there, and there is also a blurb now on it saying that cingular at this time does not support blackberry messenger..lol
I will call today and see what is up with the Media net you all are talking about

Jelly Bean
01-04-2006, 12:04 PM
OK. The compiled fruits of my efforts.

On a BlackBerry 8700c with no additional account setup (just BB Unlimited and Voice)

Ok, I just did this part, (decided not to call cingular after reading thru the whole thread), so now what? LOL, I want yahoo messenger, do I go to my wahoo site and load up now? I have yahoo plus.