PDA

View Full Version : Storm does'nt charge off the socket

pepperpk
12-26-2009, 03:00 AM
A couple of months ago, a friend of mine gifted me a Storm and its marvelous. But this device has a problem that I have been facing. I am a person who always charges his device off his PC as I always have a pc around me. But when I'm traveling, it is not always possible.

First time I tried chargeing the phone using the stock charger that came with the device was a month later after getting the phone. I connected the phone to the charger, it showed the charging icon and I went to sleep. In the morning, when I got up, I thought it must've charged the battery to its full but its not the case. The battery is not charged at all, its at the same level at which it was at night.

Well, I plugged the phone to the PC using a usb cable and it charged it well. This is very disturbing.

Then I bought a few other chargers that actually are for motorola, lg or other phones that give the same voltage and I've been using them to charge my 8310 earlier and they worked great. Even these chargers are unable to charge my Storm.

Any hints what could be wrong?

dankarlinski
12-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

The 8310 and storm use different chargers

JSanders
12-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (9520; (I'm mobile))

The 8310 uses a mini USB port and the Storm is a Micro USB port. Otherwise the charge throughput is the same.

MidnightDraven
12-26-2009, 10:56 AM
You shouldn't even be able to get a miniusb into a microusb port.

rambo47
12-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Check out one of these adapters:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yXRJOWcaL._SS500_.jpg
They're Motorola branded, but work universally. Amazon has 'em for $1.15 (plus shipping)
Amazon.com: OEM Motorola MicroUSB USB EMU MU Adapter for RAZR2 V8 V9 V9m Q9h model SKN6252: Cell Phones & Service (http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MicroUSB-Adapter-RAZR2-SKN6252/dp/B001EJFZ5G)

pepperpk
12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for posting this Rambo47

I actually have one of these, so the voltage is the same that gets through.

My question was about charging it off the wall or charinging it off pc. Can somebody help?

tsac
12-26-2009, 03:00 PM
I would suggest the AC charger is defective and is easily replaced

jstoltz
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I would suggest buying a OEM blackberry charger. They have a higher amp rating (actual power) than the chargers from many other vendors. I know that my LG phone does not like being charged by my Blackberry charger as the LG is expecting 500mA and the BB charger puts out 700mA. The reduced power output may be why your Storm is not charging.

pepperpk
12-27-2009, 06:48 AM
This is unbelievable guys. While I was trying to figure out the issue, I tried following solutions:

* Bought 3 different OEM chargers
* Bought 5 different non blackberry chargers including Motorola
* Used my old 8310 charger with a converter to charge Storm
* Even got a custom power charger made with the right voltage and current

Nothing worked

Though what worked
* All desktop pcs charged it
* All laptops charged it too
* When it got drained, it never booted using a charger or a PC
* Though there are a few pcs I know that can boot it up connecting through USB.

HOW IT ALL GOT SOLVED?
I updated my BlackBerry 9530's to OS 5.0.0.328 and it solved other thousands of issues with this one. I know sounds illogical but it is charging from all those chargers that were not charging it earlier.

Thanks for your inputs anyways.

JSanders
12-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Glad you got it working.

tsac
12-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Your solution made me curious to check further into the charging issues on different types of adapters. Reading support information on the RIM web site I found the blackberry OS does indeed control the entire charging regardless of the power source being used. Apparently the BB’s using AC adapters are more dependent on the power and current level s detected by the OS than the USB methods. Nothing is detailed on the algorithm used to determine the logic or detection methods used but it does say on your phone various on-screen indications will show when too much current or too little is available. Why an AC adapter would cause no charging and not pop up any info was not given. Thanks for the follow-up information; we can add this to the long list of other weird stuff found by people on this forum.