PDA

View Full Version : Dust Problem Update

mike_187
12-12-2005, 11:14 AM
i have confitmation from a friend that works at RIM that the 8700 device have gotten a new supplier for the housing to fix the dust issue under the screen. RIM always tries there best to give the top quality and if we complain about something they will try there best to fix it.

JMF0
12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Any idea when these new versions might make it into production? I want to get an 8700 now but with this issue I am thinking I should wait??

Will RIM end up exchanging the devices for these new "dust-free" versions if we have issues down the line?

THX
jeff

CowboyChris
12-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Quick tangential question to this topic, if anyone knows.

For those who received launch event devices, what, if any, is the process for seeking warranty coverage/repairs on our 8700c's if we have problems? Are the devices covered, or are we SOL if we have a problem (eg. excessive dust under the screen) down the road? Thanks!

mike_187
12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
i kno the new ones are in production so all the new units that will be shipped should have the problem fixed.

mike_187
12-12-2005, 11:39 AM

For those who received launch event devices, what, if any, is the process for seeking warranty coverage/repairs on our 8700c's if we have problems? Are the devices covered, or are we SOL if we have a problem (eg. excessive dust under the screen) down the road? Thanks!

well the devices have to be covered for a year. i would call cigular or rim to doible check how to obtain it,but then again you may not need it.

Stinsonddog
12-12-2005, 12:03 PM
mentioned that you might need to contact RIM.

MegaBit
12-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Hope this is covered under a warranty replacement for all the early adopters that have dust problems. Maybe we need to send a note to RIM with the unit ID to get "on the list"?

I have been trying real hard to prevent dust ingress by keeping it clean and never put air pressure on the front if it but the accumulation continues. There is even a small amount of haze on the inside of the screen, kind of like the windshield on your car from out gassing of plastics, etc.

mikeruoc
12-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Mine is building up dust also and I am very careful. I was going to call Cingular and see if I can get it swapped but it seems that it would not be a good idea right now as I will get one with the same problem. Has anyone swapped yet and had the problem really solved??

jnelson2000
12-12-2005, 02:57 PM
mentioned that you might need to contact RIM.
within a day ot two, I will have the contact number/process for you guys/gals to call when a launch device failure occurs. This is being discussed at RIM and should have something comcrete by Wednesday.

gregg
12-12-2005, 03:33 PM
within a day ot two, I will have the contact number/process for you guys/gals to call when a launch device failure occurs. This is being discussed at RIM and should have something comcrete by Wednesday.

Shoot, I'd like go get my launch device...

CowboyChris
12-12-2005, 03:56 PM
That's great... thank you all very much for your insight!

alann
12-12-2005, 03:58 PM
So for Cingular ppo that bought a dusty 8700c we will have to get the exchange through cingular?

mikeruoc
12-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I am sure people that but from Cingular will have to deal with them to get the swap. (I got mine from Cingular) I will keep my eyes out for when this issue is fixed and then give them a call.

alann
12-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know if Cingular Cooperate stores deal with exchange/returns? If the revise one comes out can we walk into a cooperate store and do an excahnge?

jnelson2000
12-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Why are you guys thinking there is a "revised" device. Talking with RIM this morning and a guy very very close to production of the 8700C, he denied rumors that the device is being "revised". They are still investigating the cause. No decision has been made and /or acted upon as to manufacturing.

Mike_187, what position is your friend @<hidden> RIM? No names, just rank (director, support rep, customer service, CEO, etc..) My source is the product manager directly involved with the Cingular 8700C.

mikeruoc
12-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I think we are all thinking there will be one since it seems like all the info on the board says that RIM is looking at how to fix it. I sure dont know of one. I am assuming there will be a fix. What or how they fix it I sure dont know.

dwlace01
12-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Well, as an avide user of the limited one year waranty that is all on cingular phones, i have quite a knowledge base accumulated about this issue.

Becuase you cant purchase insurance on the PDA devices with cingular, they are usually VERY lenient when it comes to exchanges and returns. Unless your phone is damaged physically, cracks in the LCD, big gashes int he housing, I wouldn't worry about having any trouble with it. I purchased my 8700c this past weekend and i've had it for a week where it has spent quite a bit of time in my pocket, and i havne't seen any hitn of dust under the screen yet. I'm assuming that they have fixed the problem rather quickly and everything has been solved, but you best believe that if i see the smalllest amount of dust i will be calling lockline *cingulars warranty and exchange service provider* and raising hell.

Good luck to you all!! and remember, dont rest until you get what you want. Every service rep on the phone has a breaking point and if you stay on teh phone long enough and go up high enough in the food chain, you will reach someone who is willing to help. so dont give up until you get what you want.

dwl

greggebhardt
12-12-2005, 06:37 PM
I do not think that there are any dustless 8700s on the streets. It takes time and RIM is just now looking at the problem. If you don't have dust in your 8700, it does not mean you got a new and improved unit. It does mean that you are either not seeing it or you are lucky. They were all built the same using the same parts and from the light I vcould see leaking out of my X-8700, it will take some redesigning to fix.

mike_187
12-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Why are you guys thinking there is a "revised" device. Talking with RIM this morning and a guy very very close to production of the 8700C, he denied rumors that the device is being "revised". They are still investigating the cause. No decision has been made and /or acted upon as to manufacturing.

Mike_187, what position is your friend @<hidden> RIM? No names, just rank (director, support rep, customer service, CEO, etc..) My source is the product manager directly involved with the Cingular 8700C.

position of my friend is directly in production. assembling the 8700. They have a new vendor now for the housing which is supposed to fix the problem

mikeruoc
12-12-2005, 07:47 PM
So does he know when the fixed until we be out?

mriff
12-12-2005, 08:09 PM
I guess I'm feeling pretty lucky. I've had mine about a week. No dust. No leaking light. Tight battery door. Very solid. To clean my screen I just rub it on my t-shirt. :oops:

mike_187
12-12-2005, 09:47 PM

well they are using the new ones now hoping it fixes the problem

dwlace01
12-12-2005, 09:54 PM
yea. The way release went where i live...there was only 1 8700c in my town on nov. 21 when they were released. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume taht that unit was defective in terms of dust. It was about three weeks before my cingular store received any more 8700 units. and even then they only received two. I would guess that during that three weeks, RIM had heard all the problems from their first release, promptly found a new maker for the housing and any unit made after that process took place was "fixed". Sooooo hopefully i got one that is good. but this is all hearsay of course, i coudl be totally wrong.

dwlace01
12-13-2005, 12:41 PM
ofcourse i speak too soon and now i have dust under my screen. I will live with it until they fix the problem, but then i will make the call to lockline and demand a replacement.

richard371
12-13-2005, 02:46 PM
When you pay to have the device unlocked and you get a replacment remember you will have to PAY again to get the replacement unlocked. Fun!

dwlace01
12-13-2005, 03:20 PM
i plan on having mine replaced by cingular, and i wont need to have mine unlocked. If they make me go through RIM...and i have to pay any amount of money for a new device, i will be livid. It is outrageous to spend so much money on a device that has a problem and then reasonably ask for another, fixed device and then to be asked to pay money to get it. It wont happen to me.

wirelessandy
12-13-2005, 05:34 PM
The dust issue is one of the things keeping me from buying an 8700.

I wonder: If this "revision" is indeed true, then how can one tell if the Blackberry you're about to buy is this revised version? Maybe a sticker/code/serial# clue on the box or maybe a hardware build number/date?

Should be interesting. Things are looking up for the Nit Pickers amongst us.

KonTiki
12-13-2005, 06:38 PM
The best thing to do is just wait another 3 to 6 months before you take the plunge. You have lived this long without it another few months is not going to make a difference. Its not like it is life or death you already have a BB that you have lived with this far so it is not like you are without a device is it? Let them be sure that they have worked all the bugs and dust bunnies out of it, you are paying top dollar for tis it ought to be at the very least flawless. There are lemons here or there but when you have enough to make lemonade you should step back a bit.

mriff
12-13-2005, 07:22 PM
The best thing to do is just wait another 3 to 6 months before you take the plunge. You have lived this long without it another few months is not going to make a difference. Its not like it is life or death you already have a BB that you have lived with this far so it is not like you are without a device is it? Let them be sure that they have worked all the bugs and dust bunnies out of it, you are paying top dollar for tis it ought to be at the very least flawless. There are lemons here or there but when you have enough to make lemonade you should step back a bit.

The difference between my old 7280 and my new 8700 is not life or death, but pretty close. 8-) I love the new device. Mine appears to be bugless so far. And if it gets some dust, well, I couldn't read the screen on my old one anyway. Why wait.

dwlace01
12-13-2005, 07:49 PM
yea i have to agree...this new device is amazing..its almost worth buying and then replacing through warranty in about 3 months. thats what i planon doing anyway. the dust is minimal as of right now and until it gets un bearable i wont be trading it in. BUT the way i look at it, i've got a year of limited warranty to use up before i go freakin out about spendin money. I'll repalce it when the dust gets bad and if it starts getting gbad again, bbest believe i'll be replacing it again.

mikeruoc
12-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Well I called and have a new one on the way. I will let you guys know if I get dust back. They say it will be here in 5 days so we will see. Otherwise I will have to wait a few months and do it again.

dwlace01
12-13-2005, 09:05 PM
may i ask who you went through to get it? Was it Cingular? or was it Rim? Either way, i doubt they are stupid enough to deny us of anything. BUt i am also doubtful that they have fixed the problem yet. DId the person you talked to say anything about it being fixed?

hmmm very interesting to see how this one unfolds

mikeruoc
12-13-2005, 09:20 PM
I bought mine from Cingular so I called Cingular customer service. First person I spoke to told me to wait 30 days and then speak to warranty and then she told me to wipe the screen off and it would be fine. I laughed at her and said "Do you really think I am calling you about dirt on the FRONT of the screen?" Called warranty got a very nice lady on the phone and told her what happened and she then called CS and got someone on the phone and told them to swap my phone. After that it was very easy and the way it should have been.

jnelson2000
12-13-2005, 09:33 PM
may i ask who you went through to get it? Was it Cingular? or was it Rim? Either way, i doubt they are stupid enough to deny us of anything. BUt i am also doubtful that they have fixed the problem yet. DId the person you talked to say anything about it being fixed?

hmmm very interesting to see how this one unfolds
I will be receiving 2 devices tomorrow direct off the production room at RIM. I highly doubt there will be any difference this soon. That is if they aknowledge the problem exists.

Will update tomorrow afternoon as to any differences.

dwlace01
12-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Well, after talking to Cingular, they say that dont know anythign about the problem. They also said, if the problem starts to make it hard to use my device, they will gladly replace it, because its a problem that prevents me from using the blackberry for its intended use. And becuase the problem was caused by a manufacturer defect, i will not be held responsible for it.

Does anyone have a number that i can contact RIM with. I am not a tsupport subscriber and i do not have a case number. It is impossible to talk ot anyone on the phone b/c the number thati have, 18772552377, is asking for a case number or for a t support code.

jnelson2000
12-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Open a case with Cingular Tier 2. They will xfer you to RIM

dwlace01
12-13-2005, 10:37 PM
how would i go about doing that.?

Soapm
12-14-2005, 12:07 AM

Not till the TMO release. LOLOLOLOL

VidGameKing
12-14-2005, 01:42 AM
ha... ha...

barjohn
12-19-2005, 11:59 PM
See my post in the other thread on dust issues and PM me with information and I will pass it on to RIM.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=145940#post145940

mikeruoc
12-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Got my new one and 2 days later I have dust. I will have to live with it until it gets fixed. For now I have sealed the bottom left and that seems to have slowed it down. RIM please fix this!

Well I called and have a new one on the way. I will let you guys know if I get dust back. They say it will be here in 5 days so we will see. Otherwise I will have to wait a few months and do it again.