PDA

View Full Version : Harmonizing Web Client and Desktop Manager

therealsergio
12-12-2005, 03:55 PM
I use a 7250, the Web Client and Desktop Manager 4.0 (without the Desktop Redirector). I have 2 e-mail services redirected to my Web Client address, and incoming messages work consistantly like a charm.

As documented in some threads, if I have the "Desktop (CMIME)" and "Web Client (CMIME)" service books both installed, sending a message fails and I start littering the Inbox with these encrypted "data transfer" messages that say not to delete them (because it trys the Desktop CMIME protocol which is based on the temporary creation of those messages)

The workaround I find is deleting the "Desktop (CMIME)" service book (leaving the Web Client variant) and sending messages starts working perfectly.

The problem I have then is that every time I connect my 7250 through Desktop Manager to synchronize my PIM information, it reinstalls the "Desktop (CMIME)" service book. This even when I turn off every option indicating any intention whatsover of synching e-mails via Desktop Redirector.

So my workaround is to have to remember to delete "Desktop (CMIME)" service book after every connection to Desktop Manager.

If there a better workaround? Can these use cases coexist a little more harmoniously?

p.s.) Desktop Redirector doesn't help me because my computer is a laptop and is infrequently connected.

p.p.s) BES is installed but unavailable to me in the corporation. Even if it was available (which might still happen some day) I would want to consolidate external e-mail along with corporate on the 7250, which I think would lead me to the same seeming incompatability of the Desktop and Web Client CMIME service books?

Buckeyenut
12-12-2005, 10:57 PM
First of all I still consider myself a newbie so someone else may need to jump in here and bail me out.
I have a 7520 running the same setup and dont have the issue of the Desktop service book causing problems. Make sure your setting for sending messages under Options->Message Services is set to Web client. that way all messages you send should be done through the webclient and never through the redirector. I sync up via desktop manager several times a day and never has the settings been reverted back to desktop. i think this should solve your issue. anyone else have any input? Am I totaly off here?

T-Roy
12-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Uninstall Desktop Manager
Reinstall Desktop Manager - Make sure you choose the BlackBerry Internet Service.

Desktop Manager should only show 3 icons if installed correctly. You have 4.

therealsergio
12-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Uninstall Desktop Manager
Reinstall Desktop Manager - Make sure you choose the BlackBerry Internet Service.

Desktop Manager should only show 3 icons if installed correctly. You have 4.
That does make sense, but if I choose BIS, will I still be able to synch my Outlook PIM information to the handheld? I thought that was only possible if you choose either Enterprise or Desktop?

southwestcomm
12-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Doesn't matter which service you select - you can always sync to Outlook.

therealsergio
12-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks. Serves me right for reading the installer "wizard" screens instead of using my gut. One of them out and out says that if you want both synchronization with Exchange and internet mail, to choose the Desktop / Enterprise option.