PDA

View Full Version : ATT and Cingular have cross polinated sim cards

kpbuck
12-12-2005, 09:02 PM
after a futile attempt to get an 8700 from ATT i resorted to calling the village idiots over on the C side, they promptly (well nothing really happens promptly over there) informed me that my ATT sim would not work in their equipment and i would have to migrate if i wanted new equipment (not on a bet, not if they were tha last carrier on the planet, not to worry about that, not with their business retention policies and customer service, oops an oxymoron) anyhow i paid full boat without migration and new contract. popped my ATT sim card into the 8700c and voila! data phone, works like a champ. so there you have it ATT customers.... :del:

NJBlackBerry
12-12-2005, 09:08 PM
There you have what? That an AT&T SIM worked in an 8700c? That's not exactly what I would call a surprise. Mine worked that way when I got it almost two weeks ago...

kpbuck
12-12-2005, 09:58 PM
i guess nobody has told Cingular's tech support people yet either. which really was my point, simply put Cingular is telling people their ATT cards wont work in Cingular equipment :del:

trstack
12-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Not the folks I spoke to. I pre-ordered my 8700 from the National Business Services dept at Cingular. I informed them and they knew that I was a former ATTWS customer and on a "Blue" charter plan. I renewed my contract, complete with unlimited voice minutes at $99/month and got my 8700. Popped in my ATTWS SIM from my 7290 and I was off to the races...

I know not all that work at Cingular CS are up to speed but, unfortunately, we could say the same about many companies.

AlbertoM
12-12-2005, 11:27 PM
I went to my Cing store. They told me that I did not have to migrate, that the blue card would work fine. It did.

I did eventually migrate (and the orange card also worked fine) for different reasons, including rollover....

takeshi
12-13-2005, 09:33 AM
I know not all that work at Cingular CS are up to speed but, unfortunately, we could say the same about many companies.

You could, but the point is that Cingular is exceptional at providing poor and completely inconsistent service. You should try being the point of contact for wireless device support for a company with lines of service through multiple carriers. I can tell you that we don't call T-Mobile or Nextel anywhere near as often as we call Cingular. Additionally, no one has representatives as inconsistent or incompetent as Cingular's. I don't know where the problem lies exactly with their organization but they really need to get their act together.

xenopus
12-13-2005, 11:22 AM
after a futile attempt to get an 8700 from ATT i resorted to calling the village idiots over on the C side, they promptly (well nothing really happens promptly over there) informed me that my ATT sim would not work in their equipment and i would have to migrate if i wanted new equipment (not on a bet, not if they were tha last carrier on the planet, not to worry about that, not with their business retention policies and customer service, oops an oxymoron) anyhow i paid full boat without migration and new contract. popped my ATT sim card into the 8700c and voila! data phone, works like a champ. so there you have it ATT customers.... :del:

They can get you an 8700c with Cingular Blue (AT&T), it is in their equipment book. You will get the "you much migrate to get this equipment" message from a number of C people who answer the phone, so you have to keep calling back until you get a Cingular-Blue individual who knows what they are diong. I got mine at a good price, AT&T service, no contract, no Cingular bull.

I should add that the Cingular Blue people I have talked to when I called have always been courteous, helpful, and knowledgable -- and always apologise for any mis-information I had received!

Piers!