PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Messenger

newtothis33
01-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Hi, I've used Blackberry Messenger for some years now, both to communicate with work colleagues and friends. I always thought that it was a private non server based communication, i.e. that it worked over Wifi or GPRS rather than through my company's network. However I noticed today that for the last 3 weeks there is a daily email being sent from my outlook account to the BB Administrator with a full breakdown of what i've typed as part of the conversations. There's nothing that bad in my conversations but I had assumed they were private especially those with my friends. Also would that mean that any files that I have been sent from BB messenger contacts are visible by the BB administrator?

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

dankarlinski
01-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

It must be part of the IT policy, although I've never heard of it before doing that

dc/dc
01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
It is not proper etiquette to post the same question twice. I already responded to your query in the thread you bumped earlier.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/206476-blackberry-privacy.html

rjaylo
01-06-2010, 10:07 PM
doh. My wife and I have been going back and forth on it a little now and then but I have never seen any sent messages to the admin in my sent folder. Safe to assume the bb messenger tracking function isnt turned on? Of course now that I know this, we'll stop but kinda creepy finding that out! I thought bb messenger was private too.

newtothis33
01-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I posted the same query in an existing thread that I found after I had posted this, I've had better responses to my questions on the other thread, see link "BBM Being monitored"

I guess the lesson is never use it for anything that you wouldn't send in a work email. Two other things that might help, it can also see you SMS communication and it doesn't appear to have the ability to search prior to being activated. Therefore you should be safe. I'm no expert just learned those bits on here.

rjaylo
01-06-2010, 11:02 PM
good. i would think if they were monitoring it would have come up by now as weve been kinda back and forth for months
guess its back to personal one. My mistake!

Grenville Jaxon
01-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Hello guys!

Thanks for the above information and To use the BlackBerry Messenger you must have the BlackBerry data plan, so no, it is not free as you pay a monthly fee for that plan..

Diane Ellappen
01-08-2010, 05:29 AM
wow i also did not knw that it wasnt private

penguin3107
01-08-2010, 07:24 AM
i would think if they were monitoring it would have come up by now as weve been kinda back and forth for months

The new version of BlackBerry Enterprise Server can monitor BlackBerry Messenger conversations in a way which will be invisible to the end user.
Just FYI.

lmyamen
01-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I wasnt aware that its not private either

juwaack68
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
This is a duplicate thread. Closing.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/215827-bbm-being-monitored.html