PDA

View Full Version : our 7520 users are reporting "Error - Unknown error&quo

reqwireless-too
01-07-2005, 02:45 PM
We've been receiving reports lately from Nextel BB 7520 users of our WebViewer application that the application works for a while, and then mysteriously starts reporting "Error - Unknown error" when attempting to make a network connection.

We've seen this error before, reported by 7510 users, and had found that it was due to the handset's wireless not being active. Worst case was that the user required a soft reset of the device to be up and running again.

But this is not the case with 7520 users. Nothing short of reinstalling the software resolves the issue. Obviously, this workaround is far from ideal.

Has anyone else come across this problem when attempting to open a network connection on the 7520, and if so, any resolution?

We'd be more than happy to give out a few complimentary registration keys to our applications for any assistance, no matter how minor, in resolving this issue.

Mark Rejhon
01-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Does it have anything to do with fluctuating reception issues? For example, low reception, celltower switches, roaming, etc?

BlackBerryOS 3.8 and 4 (on 7290, 7520) behaves differently from older BlackBerries on this (3.7 and older on default 7280, 7510's, etc). I believe that it behaves more similiarly to a radio-off condition nowadays. Basically, if you try to open a socket while you're out of reception for 5 seconds, it's more likely to fail than to just "hang there" waiting.

This MAY not be it....but this is a problem that afflicts Verichat, it is very unstable in a Radio-Off condition, and BlackBerryOS4 mimics a Radio-Off condition more often during Radio-On during variable reception, reception disruptions, etc. This is my suspicion. This MAY be BlackBerryOS4 bugs, or maybe a way for it to keep the BlackBerry more able to receive incoming phonecalls. I am not 100% sure, but I know socket behaviour seems to have changed. 7510 uses OS3.7 and 7520 uses OS4.0

A good test may be to upgrade a 7510 to OS4.0 and see if it behaves more like a 7520 in bug behaviour. Try that.

It is critical and important to ask your users what version of BlackBerryOS they are using, now that BlackBerryOS4 is now available for download (http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1995).

Jestre
01-07-2005, 05:05 PM
This is definitely going to be an issue on the 4.0/7520 devices. A co-worker just purchased the software and has been encountering the stated error, and in looking at his BB today, it indicated a Maximum connections exceeded error in Req.

I do not have Reqwireless installed, but I get the same error in BBToday on the weather plugin. This seems to be happening most frequently while at work (in a building) and therefore in poorer than normal signal conditions.

If you need help testing possible solutions, he and I would be glad to assist.

jbartel
01-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Also with 4.0 how are you having users soft reset? The alt+cap+delete doesn't work the same as 3.6/3.7. You either have to take the battery out or press alt+cap+delete multiple times to get the device to soft reset.

corey@12mile
01-08-2005, 04:14 AM
Why don't you download the various simulators from the developers section of blackberry.com and run the app under the simulator where you can specify the signal strength?

ezyproductions
06-03-2006, 07:43 PM
I just downloaded BBTODAY also for my 7520, I tried it twice and it froze up after about a couple hours of use. I love the program, is there a way around this? Also, how do I change the colors to be brighter on the main screens.

thanks

ezy

NJBlackBerry
06-03-2006, 08:00 PM
1) This thread was from January, 2005 and you woke it up and hijacked it.
2) DON'T DOUBLE POST.