PDA

View Full Version : ALERT -- RIM's Poor Treatment of BlackBerryForums Moderators/Operators!

Mark Rejhon
12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Now RIM/Rogers is refusing to send me the launch 8700r - as I attended the Rogers launch party on behalf of BlackBerryForums. (Something to do with my employer being an ISV - But I paid to attend in my own capacity!). What gives...

I paid for the trip to Toronto, too. Trying to find answers about this one. There were no rules against this, and they specifically said that everyone attending would be getting one. Many of them know I am a moderator here (and the maintainer of the popular BerryFAQ here) and Tom came with me to the launch party.

There was no fine print in the invitation about who is specifically excluded, and I paid for my transportation to the launch conference.

I'm not happy. This is a fiasco.

chrisnol
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Now RIM/Rogers is refusing to send me the launch 8700r - as I attended the Rogers launch party on behalf of BlackBerryForums. (Something to do with my employer being an ISV - But I paid to attend in my own capacity!). What gives...

I paid for the trip to Toronto, too. Trying to find answers about this one. There were no rules against this, and they specifically said that everyone attending would be getting one. Many of them know I am a moderator here (and the maintainer of the popular BerryFAQ here) and Tom came with me to the launch party.

There was no fine print in the invitation about who is specifically excluded, and I paid for my transportation to the launch conference.

This is a real shame. You are an important person and resource in the BB community. Anyone who has a line of communication open to RIM and or Rogers should pass this issue along. Mark should get their highest and most favored treatment.

Stinsonddog
12-12-2005, 06:55 PM
In the US I think your rights would be absolute. Don't know about Canada. I would use Barjohn to speak to RIM directly though as the best course of action.

pawn
12-12-2005, 07:09 PM

If I was you, I wouldn't even want it now. In my limited participation in this and other forums, you have been RIM's biggest supporter. I guess it's inevitable that a company gets big and forgets what got them there, but this issue is just silly.

Seriously, tell them you're not interested anymore, maybe show it in a signature or something and let them come crawling back to you.

Tom
12-13-2005, 02:35 AM

The exact same situation happened to me. They are refusing to send me one as well, I have spoken to several hands at RIM, and all were very negative. I do not understand why they have suddenly turned against blackberryforums, expecially since they were so happy and open at the event.

Stinsonddog
12-13-2005, 08:24 AM
I would find someone to go meet with face to face to sort this out. If they are mad at your users for complaining that shouldn't impact you or the great service you offer.

The exact same situation happened to me. They are refusing to send me one as well, I have spoken to several hands at RIM, and all were very negative. I do not understand why they have suddenly turned against blackberryforums, expecially since they were so happy and open at the event.

corey@12mile
12-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Wow eh... I hope it's not because I posted a picture of me with the 8700r before it was released... I know the RIM people are a very tight knit group, but you would think that they would care a little more for the people here who contribute and actually try to help build the community and support their products.

I know that without BBF, RIM would still do fine, but a lot of people who support and sell RIM products come here regularily. Crazy stuff.

Who knows...

cd.

Mark Rejhon
12-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Wow eh... I hope it's not because I posted a picture of me with the 8700r before it was released...I do not think it has anything to do with that. You are merely one of the hundreds of thousands of our guest users (with nearly 30,000 of them being registered members, you having been one of them), and you are merely a user on our forums and the picture did get removed upon RIM's request. I believe RIM is smart enough to know a forum is a diverse community.

All of us moderators are the operators behind this forum website, the Internet's most popular discussion forum. Many of the early moderators here (including myself) have done many thousands of hours on these forums over the last 1.5 years of the forum operation -- The Internet's Biggest BlackBerry Discussion Forum -- which has grown bigger than the BlackBerry sections of the RIMROAD.com and HowardForums.com websites.

Yes, there are a lot of new users and consumers -- but this site is also visited by many executives, members of the press, and people who have a say in thousands of BlackBerry units. It is a wide segment of the BlackBerry audience. All our website already gets mentioned in magazines such as PC Magazine and The Register, as well as in certain BlackBerry related books.

I am just very dissapointed at RIM/Rogers' poor treatment of BlackBerryForums moderators;

corey@12mile
12-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Well at least you didn't get 'uninvited' from the event... :(

I say stick it to the man... you got a voucher right... I would ask them what the purpose of giving you a voucher entitling you to a device courtesy of RIM is if they are going to reneg on the promise.

I am gonna buy a PPC I think... at least Microsoft sends me free goodies as appreciation for the number of clients I recommend their products to. I know everyone loves to hate Microsoft, but when you implement a solution with their products, it works pretty well... I have a complete MS shop here and I very rarely have problems other then business decisions and hardware issues... my systems are all rock solid and fast...

Microsoft takes care of the people who recommend and drive their product sales... why doesn't RIM?

cd.

Mark Rejhon
12-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi,

We have received several PM's of support already. We have noticed that understandably, some representatives/executives/employees do not want to post in this thread because they do not want to affect their relationships, and avoid commenting publicly on this matter, but are also dissapointed to see that BlackBerryForums is not properly represented by RIM.

If any of you representatives, executives, administrators, employees, etc. are reading this, you are very welcome to send a PM to me (Mark Rejhon) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&userid=79) and PM to Guess (Tom G.) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&userid=1) about anything regarding this matter. Your privacy will be preserved.

Also, next time you have any contact with people at RIM, politely mention to them that you are a visitor of BlackBerryForums.

nEMESIS4
12-13-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm not familiar with exactly how launches work, but have they given you guy's free devices in the past?

nb_mitch
12-13-2005, 02:50 PM
All launches can be different, but in this case everyone that attended either of the lauches was promised an 8700.

I would think the only people who wouldn't get one "might" be employees of RIM or Rogers/Cingular and even then, why not, they need toys too ;)

Mark Rejhon
12-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Tom (Guess) has reported to me that there is a possible resolution to this issue. It may turn out to be nothing -- this thread will remain until then -- but I will close and retire this thread if this is resolved.

Best case, it was a simple case of misunderstanding: One hand not knowing what the other hand is doing.

Worst case, BlackBerryForums will go full public (news media) with this issue.

Keep tuned.

Tom
12-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I have been assured this is a simple misunderstanding and that everything has been taken care of. Mark and I will be receiving the devices shortly. I have spoken to RIM representatives both via email and phone.

I will keep you guys updated.

BBUser7100t
12-13-2005, 04:24 PM
I have been assured this is a simple misunderstanding and that everything has been taken care of. Mark and I will be receiving the devices shortly. I have spoken to RIM representatives both via email and phone.

I will keep you guys updated.

That is great news and I hope its true! This forum is a phenomenal resource to blackberry users and anyone who has spent any time on the forum knows that its devotees are mostly blackberry fanatics. We may complain and make constructive criticisms, but at the end of the day we love our blackberries. There's no reason that the founders or moderators of this list should be blacklisted.

SMorganPhoto
12-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Good luck guys! And keep up the good work!

Oh yea, Mark, like another member said in another thread regarding 'Blackberry Hacks' it was great to see a familiar name! I picked it up and didn't stop until it was done.

stevenyc
12-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Is it me or is RIM having a bad year?

Mark Rejhon
12-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Oh yea, Mark, like another member said in another thread regarding 'Blackberry Hacks' it was great to see a familiar name! I picked it up and didn't stop until it was done.I would have to add that I give credit to the several forums member that also contributed work to this book than I did -- And, yes, I did contribute to this O'Reilly book. Thanks!

SMorganPhoto
12-13-2005, 04:53 PM
I would have to add that I give credit to the several forums member that also contributed work to this book than I did -- And, yes, I did contribute to this O'Reilly book. Thanks!

My hat is off to all of you. For such a newb, it was easy to understand and fun to read.

AlbertoM
12-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Usually the way I resolve these things is to keep asking to speak to whomever I am talking to supervisor. It usually works, but it does look like Mark and Tom have it solved...

As to someone else's question - different launches are different. There are morning launches in Dallas and Austin this week in which you get a chance to win an 8700C, it is not automatic.

j7m7r7
12-13-2005, 08:52 PM
*j7m7r7 begins fantasizing about dropping future purchases of all RIM devices at two ridiculously large law firms

wonder how many others that read these forums are in positions with similar decision making responsibilities? wonder how these types of things might affect business in the future were another capable, non-RIM device become available? just something to think about. i've never known arrogance to aid business.

headtailgrep
12-14-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm not suprised, if Rogers was involved. No one seems to know what's going on inside that organization..

if only Rogers has real GSM competition in Canada, i'd be switching.. yes, Rogers nearly has a monopoly... at least there is SOME competition with bell..

AlbertoM
12-14-2005, 02:46 PM
*j7m7r7 begins fantasizing about dropping future purchases of all RIM devices at two ridiculously large law firms

wonder how many others that read these forums are in positions with similar decision making responsibilities? wonder how these types of things might affect business in the future were another capable, non-RIM device become available? just something to think about. i've never known arrogance to aid business.
Agreed. However it begs the question, would the wishes of the managing partners in the law firms have any bearing on the decision making process? I suspect so....

mmcpher
12-14-2005, 04:21 PM
I could easily see where RIM would have mixed feelings about blackberryforums in general and the workhorses of this place in particular. If there is a flaw in an RIM product or a screwup in their services, these are the boys to catch it quick and to stand up and bark about it until something is done. Any product launch carries with it enormous pressure on the company, so I could see how they'd have their fingers crossed and view these boards with a mix of anticipation and dread. Ultimately, however, the guys on this board do RIM a world of good, by helping all of us to be able to use their products more productively. This place has a different quality than any mere sales pitch, and it is ultimately a hideous business judgment for RIM to fight the forums. Its the sign of a good organization to recognize mistakes and to correct them, which I expect will happen here, causing this whole thread to go up in smoke!

Mark Rejhon
12-14-2005, 04:32 PM
I could easily see where RIM would have mixed feelings about blackberryforums in general and the workhorses of this place in particular. If there is a flaw in an RIM product or a screwup in their services, these are the boys to catch it quick and to stand up and bark about it until something is done. Any product launch carries with it enormous pressure on the company, so I could see how they'd have their fingers crossed and view these boards with a mix of anticipation and dread. Ultimately, however, the guys on this board do RIM a world of good, by helping all of us to be able to use their products more productively. This place has a different quality than any mere sales pitch, and it is ultimately a hideous business judgment for RIM to fight the forums. Its the sign of a good organization to recognize mistakes and to correct them, which I expect will happen here, causing this whole thread to go up in smoke!That being said -- The high levels of RIM probably has the same "wary" view of the press media. The press often report on NTP, and everything RIM is a little uncomfortable about. Nonteheless, RIM knows about keeping good relationships with the press -- including forums (They do realize that now, at the very least). It is always in the best of interests. Extremely popular forums can just be as powerful as the press - they can all have a large audience. There are several hundred thousand unique visitors to BlackBerryForums (when you include the count of unregistered guest readers). This compares favourably to other forms of press. It was the forum websites and blogs that apparently influenced some carrier policies -- such as T-Mobiles' sudden 180 degree reversal in their decision to permit tethering on BlackBerry.

I want to keep a good relationship with RIM, and I realize some forum members may have made RIM uncomfortable in the past (A side effect of a very inclusive forum audience from all corners of the market) -- but many RIM employees and carrier representatives also told me that they love the posts many people have made available, including many of mine at BerryFAQ.com (This points to a popular BlackBerryForums thread containing a collection of popular articles I've written on BlackBerryForums). Many people here do argue I've converted so many people to BlackBerry over the last year...

Nontheless, this would be separate from the fact that RIM repeatedly promising to send me my 8700r before suddenly changing their mind (knowing for well over a month that my application indicated my involvement with Idokorro and BlackBerryForums, and I even mentioned the fact that I am a Rogers _customer_ in the Rogers R-Type Product Launch Application, which did not have any fine print limiting who could attend, and my application to attend the launch event, was, indeed approved. It was announced verbally at the launch event, that everyone would be getting 8700r). This what dissapointed me. It was obviously clear grounds for Small Claims Court.

I am happy that this matter appears to be resolved right now. The ball is now in FedEx's court.

kevin.muller
12-15-2005, 12:28 AM
If it's not resolved, get a Treo...lol

mmcpher
12-15-2005, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Rejhon] . . . .
I want to keep a good relationship with RIM, and I realize some forum members may have made RIM uncomfortable in the past (A side effect of a very inclusive forum audience from all corners of the market) -- but many RIM employees and carrier representatives also told me that they love the posts many people have made available, including many of mine at BerryFAQ.com (This points to a popular BlackBerryForums thread containing a collection of popular articles I've written on BlackBerryForums). Many people here do argue I've converted so many people to BlackBerry over the last year..."

For myself, blackberryforums was a critical factor in my decision to upgrade to a Blackberry in the first place. In our firm, syncing your cell phone to your pc's Outlook was viewed as radical and risky. In my business, there are people who blanch at the prospect of being in touch, via e-mail, all day long wherever you are. They like the plausible deniability that comes with being limited to logging onto your pc and Outlook in order to get e-mail. But after reading here, in great and extremely credible detail (and the credibility is enhanced by frank and sometimes negative assessments of certain aspects of the BBs), about the functionality and stability of the product, I was convinced and have never looked back, and am now in the process of trying to convert more of our staff over to BBs. The SuperModerators are an RIM asset. But under stress of a delayed product launch (and some hairy litigation), someone within RIM might have temporarily forgotten that.

Tom
12-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your support guys, this matter has been resolved, both Mark and myself have received our launch devices.

Thanks RIM for realizing your mistake, and rectifying it.