PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a BB soon, questions

arikado
01-09-2010, 12:20 AM
1) If I use an instant messenger (Windows live messenger) via data, and i put the blackberry in sleep/standby mode, will i still be logged in and connection will be constant? Does this mean when a contact messages me back, I will be able to see it when i wake my blackberry? Can i assign a vibrate nofication whenever a contact does?

2) Does the blackberry (any; if not, which ones) come with the facebook application defaultly (no need to go to appworld)?

Thanks.I may have more questions later 8-)

rambo47
01-09-2010, 01:05 AM
1. You stay logged in when in sleep/standby mode, unless you get logged out by the app itself from being idle so long. The BB won't log you out, but Windows Live Messenger might log you out. If you do stay connected you will have your messages waiting for you when you wake the BB from sleep.

2. Facebook is being pushed onto almost all BlackBerrys now by the carriers. No need to go to App World. Probably every device since the 8300 is getting FB automatically. I know my Sprint 9630 got it that way, and a friend's AT&T 9000 did as well.

MidnightDraven
01-09-2010, 06:47 AM
To clarify point 2 for UK users, this is not the case. Nothing is pushed by carriers in the UK.

Dubdub
01-09-2010, 09:24 AM
MidnightDraven , I think that might have changed. See the post at the end of this thread.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8900-series-discussion-javelin/216149-mystery-app-appeared.html

dc/dc
01-09-2010, 09:28 AM
2. Facebook is being pushed onto almost all BlackBerrys now by the carriers. No need to go to App World. Probably every device since the 8300 is getting FB automatically. I know my Sprint 9630 got it that way, and a friend's AT&T 9000 did as well.

In most cases, it is not the actual application, but a link to download it.

ifonline
01-09-2010, 09:41 AM
To clarify #2 even further, you can also directly download Facebook from this link (a RIM website):

Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones (http://www.blackberry.com/facebook)

If you go to that link from your computer, you can enter your BlackBerry e-mail address to send a link to your phone. If you go to that link from your BlackBerry, however, you see a different webpage and can download the app from there.

MidnightDraven
01-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Dubdub, thanks, just saw it.
Like i mentioned in that thread, im surprised we havent had more questions about it. It was last year!
But appears curently to be the only carrier pushing , and the only link they are pushing.

tsac
01-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Does a BB on a BES still get the push? I dont see it on mine or any others I know of in my company. I suspect IT is blocking it. Not that my world will end without it.

ifonline
01-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm on BES. Facebook has never been pushed to my phone, but a link was pre-installed on my 9700. I don't think Facebook specifically gets pushed to any phone, BES or not, however. I did get a ton of other useless junk pushed to the phone the first time I registered with the network.

tsac
01-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Thats what I thought. thanks