PDA

View Full Version : 8700 on VZW?

bobbyfester
12-14-2005, 01:36 AM
real quick, do you think VZW will get it and when?

BF

VidGameKing
12-14-2005, 01:41 AM
March - July '06

NJBlackBerry
12-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Or May-Dec 06 or 07.
Or any other dates we could make up.

bbmike
12-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Consider I emailed RIM on the availability of a CDMA version and they replied "there are no current plans to launch a CDMA version..." (bummer)....I guess the only good thing is by the time it is launched (if it is...) the price tag won't be as hefty...

Ekrimmer
12-14-2005, 11:18 AM
VZW needs more time to slow it down (a la 7750)

sbagdan
12-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I can't wait, I will upgrade a soon as it is available!

NJBlackBerry
12-14-2005, 12:09 PM
I can't wait, I will upgrade a soon as it is available!
Any year now.

kmehling
12-14-2005, 05:47 PM
As soon as the 9xxx model comes out, VZW will have a buggy version of the 8700 ;)

VidGameKing
12-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Or May-Dec 06 or 07.
Or any other dates we could make up.

Any year now.

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NJBlackBerry
12-14-2005, 07:00 PM
I have very little respect for Verizon Wireless when it comes to BlackBerrys. They were the last with a colo(u)r BlackBerry, last with BWC, last with Bluetooth, last with a 7100 form factor and last with Internet browsing without a BES. I have no reason to believe they will have a 8700 model within a reasonable timeframe.

torifile
12-14-2005, 09:06 PM
When has vzw ever had a good phone before the others? The one exception to this rule is the Treo 700w and it's not even out yet.

Considering they ARE getting the exclusive rights to the new Treo, I'd imagine it's going to be later rather than sooner. <speculation>I'm sure that one of the stipulations of getting the Treo is that they don't roll out competitors' phones too soon after its release.</speculation>

Boy Genius
12-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Verizon gets Treo 700w Jan-Feb, Sprint launches Treo 700p Fall of 06...

southwestcomm
12-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Sprint has a Windows Mobile 5.0 device today - the 6700.

torifile
12-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Verizon gets Treo 700w Jan-Feb, Sprint launches Treo 700p Fall of 06...
I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with my post or proving my point... :???:

Soapm
12-14-2005, 11:10 PM
But VZW has EVDO so all you would gain is more memory.

VidGameKing
12-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Cingular has a Windows Mobile 5.0 device today too!

But VZW has EVDO so all you would gain is more memory.Huh?

Zro
12-15-2005, 04:18 AM
Ev-Do is faster than EDGE.

And as far as new BlackBerrys from Verizon, think about it from RIM's point of view...and this holds true for Nextel also...They can make a BlackBerry that can only be used on a limited number of networks in North America, then port it over to GSM and be used around the world, OR they can make GSM first and sell around the world, then develop for the limited networks.

Which would you choose? 500 units sold in the first year in only north america, or 50,000 units sold worldwide in about half a year?

Zro

Mark Rejhon
12-15-2005, 12:30 PM
last with Internet browsing without a BES.Not quite true. Haven't you seen Bell and Telus in Canada?

Also, Verizon is the FIRST with broadband access (including broadband tethering). So it's not 100% all that bad as you think. Verizon users are much luckier than Bell Canada users...

NJBlackBerry
12-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I guess that would make Bell Canada more pathetic than Verizon Wireless with respect to the BlackBerry ;-)

aviationwiz
12-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Which would you choose? 500 units sold in the first year in only north america, or 50,000 units sold worldwide in about half a year?

If you want people to believe you, you should try not exagerating so much.

GSM Blackberry's do not sell CDMA one's 200 to 1, simply can't be.

(50,000 * 2 = 100,000 / 500 = 200.

Blackberry fiend
12-19-2005, 04:30 AM
I'd say in Verizon's defense that it's Blackberry 7130e with EVDO, modem tethering, bluetooth, great phone quality, great speakerphone quality and awesome web browsing is state of the art with respect to hardware devices. Add to that superb customer serrvice and great coverage, at least when compared with my recent T-Mobile experience and "just before the merger" ATT experience, and it's no wonder that I'm a happy camper.

I am SO glad that my free launch 8700 was not delivered in a timely manner - in fact it still hasn't been delivered at all.I just bought an 8700 unlock code for $20, so once it arrives it's going onto eBay to find a new home.

fcorey
12-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Its realy unfortunate that the CIngular service coverage is as uneven as it is. In the northeast, and east coast in general VZW has pretty good coverage. Cingular coverage is good in metro areas and off major highways etc, but not a strong as VZW. That's why I have to carry two devices. That being said, the blackberry is the one on Cingular service. But I still need to carry a VZW cell just in case because my 7290 sucks as a phone.
There are going to be cases where VZW would be a better service for someone because of the geographic area but you cant blame RIM for going after the larger market first. Besides VZW just got a nice new toy with the 7130e, you cant have everything all at once.

rjharary
12-19-2005, 11:06 AM
but I think I'm losing feeling in my hand from using the 7100g for so long, blackberry thumb is the least o f my problems, my hands are getting messed up! So I was willing to switch to verizon if they had an 8700 but with this....

ceebz
12-20-2005, 02:14 AM
I'd say in Verizon's defense that it's Blackberry 7130e with EVDO, modem tethering, bluetooth, great phone quality, great speakerphone quality and awesome web browsing is state of the art with respect to hardware devices.

Agreed. The 7130e is the best Berry available, IMO. Great build quality, audio quality is very good, and no dust under the screen!

kpoland
05-17-2006, 11:47 AM
So... It's been a while... I know the official word is still "No ETA as of yet" from VZW... Just wondering if anyone has any more promising information than what I'm hearing from my VZW Rep.

b60boy
05-24-2006, 04:19 PM
OK, I'm getting REALLY tired of announcement from Verizon for the Motorola Q and Palm 700p. Where is the EVDO version of the 8700 coming to Verizon?? Anybody have the scoop.

whsbuss
05-24-2006, 05:12 PM
OK, I'm getting REALLY tired of announcement from Verizon for the Motorola Q and Palm 700p. Where is the EVDO version of the 8700 coming to Verizon?? Anybody have the scoop.

This has been asked and answered many times (check the Rumors thread). Its rumored that late summer/early fall VZW may have an 8700 type device.

Jared
05-24-2006, 11:26 PM
So... It's been a while... I know the official word is still "No ETA as of yet" from VZW... Just wondering if anyone has any more promising information than what I'm hearing from my VZW Rep.

i like your quote kpoland... thats how i will learn BES also!

b60boy
05-25-2006, 06:53 AM
What I noticed is that VZW has discounted heavily th 7250. I'm sure their making room for the 8700.

b60boy
05-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Yes, but I noticed that their heavily discounting the 7250 right now. Perhaps to make room to add that to the BB productline???? I can wish, can't i?

kpoland
06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
i like your quote kpoland... thats how i will learn BES also!
Ha. I get the feeling most admins on this board are like that...

whoscalling
06-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Yea VZW is not as competitive as the others on the full phone offering, and their prices are not the cheapest. BUT they do have one of the best networks in the US. I jumped over to Cingular for the 8700 and love the device, Cingular's coverage is not nearly as good as VZW. I say that in regards to coverage for my area, and I don't live out in the rural areas I live outside Los Angeles.

Unclebelvis
06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I actually had a meeting with our Verizon rep just the other day, and he mentioned getting the 8700 around October. That's the most narrowed down date I've heard yet.

Teledatageek
06-06-2006, 03:47 PM
I actually had a meeting with our Verizon rep just the other day, and he mentioned getting the 8700 around October. That's the most narrowed down date I've heard yet.

My Verizon rep indicated yesterday again it will be Q3 (July to Sept.)

nuopus
06-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I have very little respect for Verizon modified phones. They routinely customize their phones to remove features that should otherwise be on the phone to force you into using their services (the Nazi "Get It Now" service). There has not been a smart phone released by VZW that has not a feature removed or disabled. One example is the LG VX8100, a phone that features full MP3 player support. (It has a miniSD card to store MP3s, and play and pause/stop buttons on the front of the phone.) Verizon initially modified the phone's firmware to prevent MP3s from being used altogether. While newer phones were sold with the MP3 player re-enabled, and customers were usually informed of this feature, they still cannot be used as ringtones. The newest version of this phone has once again disabled this capability.

I actually had to void my warranty and apply a 3rd party firmware that had the DUN (Dial Up Networking) features turned on with my Treo 650. This is my BIGGEST gripe of Verizon. I will NEVER buy a smart phone with their Nazi policy ... use their service OR ELSE! ..... total crap.

Also, their full internet service is $49/mo EVEN with devices that are not EV-DO. For my Treo 650 (not EV-DO) it was $49/mo for SLOW Internet Access!!! This is unacceptable. T-Mobile on the other hand does unlimited EDGE for $20/mo.

So .... if you want to get a hobbled phone and pay 2x more for unlimited Internet then stay with VZW.

KonTiki
06-06-2006, 05:58 PM
So go to T-Mo, save money. After you are with them a while come back we can talk about dropped calls, and connection issues. Not to say anything about how "fast" EDGE is compared to EVDO. You get what you pay for, yes I agree with you about the features being disabled, I agree with you about the higher charges, but in ten years that I have been with Verizon I have had not one dropped call. Not one, can you say the same? I have compared an 8700 on EDGE side by side to my 7250 with EVDo and mine was consistently faster. So go for the savings, I am sure you will be happy.

whoscalling
06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
So go to T-Mo, save money. After you are with them a while come back we can talk about dropped calls, and connection issues. Not to say anything about how "fast" EDGE is compared to EVDO. You get what you pay for, yes I agree with you about the features being disabled, I agree with you about the higher charges, but in ten years that I have been with Verizon I have had not one dropped call. Not one, can you say the same? I have compared an 8700 on EDGE side by side to my 7250 with EVDo and mine was consistently faster. So go for the savings, I am sure you will be happy.

Word!

nuopus
06-06-2006, 07:28 PM

I guess it depends on your area. Currently my Treo 650 is with Verizon and yes I get dropped calls once in a while. I have talked with other people here with T-Mobile and they say its good service and they have yet to drop a call or rarely.

I would MUCH rather have a call dropped ONCE IN A WHILE than have to deal with hobbled features and be ripped off on every phone I buy because they decided not to give me features that should be there for the same price as everyone else or maybe a little more. I buy phones very frequently so this is a concern. To each his own I guess.

KonTiki
06-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I understand but to me calls are extremely important, that is the reason why you have a phone. I am not into texting, multimedia, mp3s, or any of these so called hobbled features. I want a phone, and a push email device, those are the primary needs for me. Internet its fine but that is what I have a pc for. I have what I need, what I want. It works well for me, fast accurate, reliable, and dependable. When push comes to shove yes I can save money, but when I need to depend or rely on my device to work properly I know I can count on it. Over the years I have had to have 2 phones exchanged by Verizon, both times I have called and gotten new phones the next day no questions asked. I call and technical support is there on the spot. When EVDO came out i had my unit working EVDO properly from the firt day it was posted here. Have never, not once had a denied connection. Again reliability is what counts for me. Yes I have wanted an 8700, yes I can walk away and go someplace else, but there is no need in time we will have it here and again with EVDO. I bet then that we will see a lot of the same people that ran to get it elsewhere come back. I am not by any means patting Verizon in the back but I get what I pay for. ANd most of all I am Happy. Yes I agree to each his own.

nuopus
06-06-2006, 08:25 PM
I understand but to me calls are extremely important, that is the reason why you have a phone. I am not into texting, multimedia, mp3s, or any of these so called hobbled features. I want a phone, and a push email device, those are the primary needs for me. Internet its fine but that is what I have a pc for. I have what I need, what I want. It works well for me, fast accurate, reliable, and dependable. When push comes to shove yes I can save money, but when I need to depend or rely on my device to work properly I know I can count on it. Over the years I have had to have 2 phones exchanged by Verizon, both times I have called and gotten new phones the next day no questions asked. I call and technical support is there on the spot. When EVDO came out i had my unit working EVDO properly from the firt day it was posted here. Have never, not once had a denied connection. Again reliability is what counts for me. Yes I have wanted an 8700, yes I can walk away and go someplace else, but there is no need in time we will have it here and again with EVDO. I bet then that we will see a lot of the same people that ran to get it elsewhere come back. I am not by any means patting Verizon in the back but I get what I pay for. ANd most of all I am Happy. Yes I agree to each his own.

Ya I actually debated on what phone I would get next. I teach at a local college and need to keep track of all of my students and other staff so to me, email is very important.

Truth be told the only reason I even looked at T-Mobile was because one of my students works for a T-Mobile store and he gets money if I get a phone through him. So knowing I wanted to get rid of my Treo because it does not keep as good a signal as my wifes phone, I just decided I need the Blackberry because of its great email features ... and I can get my Exchange email pushed to it .... now THAT is hot.

BTW I have actually been very happy with the Verizon SERVICE and they have great customer support ... I guess I was just venting in the earlier message. lol

whoscalling
06-07-2006, 12:38 PM
yes I can walk away and go someplace else, but there is no need in time we will have it here and again with EVDO. I bet then that we will see a lot of the same people that ran to get it elsewhere come back. I am not by any means patting Verizon in the back but I get what I pay for. ANd most of all I am Happy. Yes I agree to each his own.

I am one of those people, and have done the walk out to another provider for a phone/device, and I always come back to VZW due to the reliabilty and network quality. A side note- Since I have spent much time in TMO and Cingular stores in my area I find it interesting that they both are always saying to me "Our coverage has improved and we are as good or better then VZW now" They have never compared themselves to each other, always to VZW network.

To me that says it all.