PDA

View Full Version : Bold Questions

talexander
01-14-2010, 08:06 PM
I have a new desktop/laptop CRM application that has a module that installs on a Blackberry, so in addition to the phone I currently use (text and voice only), I am considering getting a used unlocked Blackberry Bold so I don’t have to sign yet another 2 year contact. Which means I have questions I cannot seem to find adequate Google’ish answers to.

For the Blackberry I assume I would need some type of data plan to get either POP email from my hosting account at GoDaddy, or from my Gmail account. Can I actually get POP email and Gmail on a Blackberry Bold with a regular data plan? Do any of you know if I can get a pay as you go data plan so I don’t have to have another contract?

About that data plan and browsing the web. I’ve seen a video where the new Droid downloads a web page incredibility faster than a Blackberry. Is it really true that Blackberry phones are kind of old fashioned and very slow when it comes to web access?

Thank you for any comments or suggestions.

Dubdub
01-14-2010, 08:39 PM
You must have a BB data plan activated to get email and the BB browser. A regular data plan will not work.

I know of NO pay as you go BB data plan in the US on the major carriers, including ATT.

The Bold is a 3G device and I definitely would not call it "old-fashioned". You might offend a few BB users with that remark.

The speed depends on many things such as the connection, the device processor, device memory, distance to the tower, tower congestion and a few others. One really can't compare it to another device unless you are side by side, going to the same site at the same time. The Droid is newer, on a different network etc. Don't know the other specs, don't really care. And a video can be edited.

And before you buy a used BB, make sure you read this from our FAQ. It offers good advice for any used BB, from eBay or elsewhere:

Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay)

cuhomie
01-16-2010, 01:14 AM
How Do I Send Songs From My Old Phone To My New Blackberry Bold 9700

Dubdub
01-16-2010, 09:18 AM
How Do I Send Songs From My Old Phone To My New Blackberry Bold 9700

It isn't nice to hijack another's thread, especially with ann entirely different question.

Please start your own thread.

But, you would need to copy the songs from your PC to a micro SD card and then install the SD card in the BB.