PDA

View Full Version : Loading Stuff onto a Blackberry - beating the ban!

Alboy
12-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I have had a poke around the FAQ but haven't been able to find an answer to my question.

Firstly, Hi everyone, looking forward to learning a lot more about my BB from you guys.

I have a work-issued BB7290 using Orange in the UK syncing with a Lotus Notes (man I hate that!) system.

All I have been issued with the the BB and a charger, no USB cables, no desktop software, no nothing!

As I love my gadgets (esp my Dell Axim X50V) I would love to know how I can start to add stuff to my BB, for starters a web browser, as they have deleted / disabled the one that seems to come as standard. Also games etc that i have read about.

So, for starters do I need a cable? Does anyone know if the USB cable I have for my Smartphone SPV500 will work (it seems to provide power OK to the BB). Where in the UK can I get one from?

What desktop software do I need or can I just email software to my BB and open/install it from there?

As you can see they have tried to make the BB as useless as possible and only provide email functionality!

Help me turn it into something more useful!!!!

many thanks in advance

Alboy

d_fisher
12-14-2005, 02:29 PM
I would love to know how I can start to add stuff to my BB, for starters a web browser, as they have deleted / disabled the one that seems to come as standard.If you dont have a web browser, you cant do OTA (over the air) installs. You will be forced to install via the USB sync cable and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

So, for starters do I need a cable? Does anyone know if the USB cable I have for my Smartphone SPV500 will work (it seems to provide power OK to the BB). Where in the UK can I get one from?Any standard USB to Mini USB cable will work. Plug directly into the USB port on your computer and dont plug in thru a USB hub.

What desktop software do I need or can I just email software to my BB and open/install it from there?You need the before mentioned BlackBerry Desktop Software. It can be downloaded from any of the cellular providers. See the OS Upgrade sticky for links.

As you can see they have tried to make the BB as useless as possible and only provide email functionality!Personally, I think you are SOL. If your company disabled\removed your web browser, I would be willing to bet that they also enabled the policy to restrict software being installed.

Doug

Alboy
12-14-2005, 02:45 PM
sorry? SOL?
I'll give the cable a go and download some desktop s,ware, assuming i can load software, where can i find a browser?

and if i can't, any other thoughts on beating the ban?

Nextel User
12-14-2005, 04:19 PM
are you sure the Browser hasnt been hidden? did you try to email a link to your phone and click on it in the email?

rcbjr
12-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I would be very careful about trying to bypass any security policies your company, who BTW is the legal owner of that BB, has placed on it. A lot of companies restrict what can and cannot be done with their equipment, and attempts to defeat those restrictions can be subject to disciplinary action.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Alboy
12-15-2005, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the comments. I don't want to bypass security that is there, but if I can use my initiative and upload software that can make me more productive then that would be a good thing.

I have tried following a link but it doesn't show up as a link in the email, but I suspect the browser is not on there rather than hidden.

If it is hidden how can I find it?

Zro
12-15-2005, 05:17 AM
from the sounds of it, there is no browser on the BlackBerry and/or it is disabled by IT policy.

But if you can't install third party apps with the desktop manager, then you won't be able to download them OTA either. It's a policy on the handheld that is restricting it.

Zro

Mark Rejhon
12-15-2005, 12:01 PM
A workaround is to buy your own BlackBerry for personal use -- may have to be a separate unit. If you negotiate with the company nicely, they may add it to BES without other restrictions, seeing you are now paying for the personal-use of your BlackBerry.

The BlackBerry is remotely locked by the BES administrator from being able to use the browser -- basically the administrator at your company has forced the browser to be turned off. There'd be no way to turn it back on without violating your company's policy.

Aroc
12-15-2005, 04:44 PM
The browser on the 7290 at GPRS speeds isn't very useful. It's too slow (as slow as dial-up or slower) and most sites don't render well (all text). I wouldn't waste my time. For things like expense report apps, you might have a chance to make you more productive. you're really ice skating up hill with this one. you be better off hacking another device. BBs are only so cool. Personally I like them since just work (push email, synchronized addresses, phone). Granted you can check out Mark's FAQ about BBs in the year 2005. But if you're used to a Palm O/S or Windows Mobile handheld, I think you'll be disappointed with the BB.

Now get out and do some productive work. ;-)

JROCK2004
12-15-2005, 09:53 PM
I think what he is asking is if there is a way to hack the BB almost. He wants to do with what you can do with a palm and open a folder stucture view. As of right now I have seen none of this type of stuff

Alboy
12-17-2005, 12:56 PM
I haven't done anything yet, but will look for some desktop software later today. Is there a 3rd party browser I can download from somewhere?

Before I do that can I find out from the BB itself if there are any restrictions etc in place?