PDA

View Full Version : Great application to protect your data

lverl78
01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Hello,

If you are looking for a great application to protect your data on your Blackberry, you should check out tomnica.com .

This application provides a great backup service but it also allows you to wipe or encrypt data when your phone gets lost or stolen. You can lock your device anytime.

This service also works for Windows PCs so it is easy to manage all your devices at once.

We are waiting for your feedback.

tsac
01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
The blackberry data is all encrypted in and out and once locked cannot be hacked. Anyone attempting to unlock it will cause it to wipe all data. Other than remote locking, if that is what your saying, is a nice option but at what cost?

lverl78
01-17-2010, 06:51 PM
The blackberry data is all encrypted in and out and once locked cannot be hacked. Anyone attempting to unlock it will cause it to wipe all data. Other than remote locking, if that is what your saying, is a nice option but at what cost?

Hi Tsac,

Thanks for your comment.

If someone steals your phone and it is not locked, he can easily access your private data. The Tomnica Blackberry application allows you to lock it remotely and make sure all your data is encrypted or wiped. Wiping in that case is much faster than relying on the device encryption mechanism which can take a long time.

The other major advantage of our application is that your data is continuously backed up to the cloud so you can still access your data after your phone is lost or stolen.

Dubdub
01-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Don't see a real need IMHO. BES users already have that capability and those of us who care about security will generally use a password to protect the device. And as tsac says, it works.

However, tsac did ask about cost and you have not responded to that yet, so I will ask again - at what cost?

lverl78
01-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Few possibilities given by the Tomnica Blackberry application:

- You are taking some pictures with your phone. They are instantly backed up to your online storage. There is no need to worry about copying them to your PC. You can access those pictures anywhere, anytime, from your Tomnica online account.

- You received an important document by email and you saved it to one of your personal folder on your phone. This new document gets instantly backed up to your online storage. Later on, your phone is out of battery or you forgot your phone at home. You can still access that important document online using your Tomnica account. It will be waiting for you in your online storage.

- You are at an offsite meeting and you are taking some notes using your Blackberry. You return to your office to find that your phone is lost or stolen. There is no need to panic. You can login to your Tomnica account to lock your Blackberry, and wipe or encrypt any critical data. The best part: Your notes have been backed up during the meeting so they are already on your online storage.

lverl78
01-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Don't see a real need IMHO. BES users already have that capability and those of us who care about security will generally use a password to protect the device. And as tsac says, it works.

However, tsac did ask about cost and you have not responded to that yet, so I will ask again - at what cost?

Hi Dubdub,

It is free for 3 months and we are looking for feedback as it is helping us every day to improve our service. We have a $9.95/month plan which gives you 100GB and you can use 5 devices (Blackberry or Windows). We also have an unlimited storage account for $19.95/month.

Regarding your comment on BES users. Many people use our service because they don't have BES access. With the Tomnica application, you are protecting your data on your phone but also on your laptop or netbook. It is all bundled in 1 package.

One more point is that you may not want to backup personal data to a BES. You may want to manage your phone data the same way you manage your laptop or desktop data and all of this is possible with 1 unique service. All your data from your phone, laptop, netbook, desktop etc... is all available in one place and you can control all those devices from 1 web account. Take a look, it is really neat. Let me know what you think after you tried it out.

Thanks.

tsac
01-17-2010, 07:12 PM
never mind

Dubdub
01-17-2010, 08:02 PM
No thanks. Too expensive for my needs. All my data is backed up either on my laptop or in the cloud.

lverl78
01-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Here is the official announcement with all the details from the Tomnica blog:

Tomnica is proud to announce a major release for its Blackberry application.

Tomnica’s Blackberry application already supports phone locking, backup and restore of your contacts and calendar, and encryption or wiping of your contacts and calendar inside the mobile phone in case your phone is lost or stolen.

Now we release the following new features:

- Continuous automatic backup of your tasks, notes, phone logs, personal folders (music, pictures, videos, ringtones, documents…) and SD card.
- One-step restore of your tasks, notes, phone logs, personal folders and SD card.
- Encryption or wiping of your tasks, notes, phone logs, personal folders and SD card within the phone equipment in case your phone is lost or stolen. Of course, your data is safely stored and available online.
- Automatic notification when a new software version is available.

This major release of our Blackberry application opens a world of possibilities for the protection of your data and your privacy. For example:

- You are taking some pictures with your phone. They are instantly backed up to your online storage. There is no need to worry about copying them to your PC. You can access those pictures anywhere, anytime, from your Tomnica online account.

- You received an important document by email and you saved it to one of your personal folder on your phone. This new document gets instantly backed up to your online storage. Later on, your phone is out of battery or you forgot your phone at home. You can still access that important document online using your Tomnica account. It will be waiting for you in your online storage.

- You are at an offsite meeting and you are taking some notes using your Blackberry. You return to your office to find that your phone is lost or stolen. There is no need to panic. You can login to your Tomnica account to lock your Blackberry, and wipe or encrypt any critical data. The best part: Your notes have been backed up during the meeting so they are already on your online storage.

Easy install: Simply go to tomnica.com on your Blackberry browser.

Let us now what you think at support at tomnica.com

Best regards,

The Tomnica Team

mrvtx
01-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Good luck with it. WAY too pricey for me.

lverl78
01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Good luck with it. WAY too pricey for me.

Hi mrvtx,

$9.95 a month for a service which provides anti-theft protection (locking, wiping and encryption), remote monitoring (location, screenshots and webcam) and online backup (100GB) for all your Windows and Blackberry devices, is competitively priced.

We have been doing extensive research online and we don't know of another service providing anti-theft protection, monitoring and online backup. We know online services providing one of those services, but not the 3 of them in 1 easy-to-use package.

Those 3 features work together to provide a very good protection. Wiping data when your device is stolen is a great feature but knowing that it has been backed up automatically before is much better ;)

It is free to try for 3 months, do not hesitate to try and let us know what you think at tomnica.com .

phrider
01-18-2010, 02:19 PM
roblock essential does, for lower cost. ><Roblock for BlackBerry (http://www.xroblock.com)

lverl78
01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
roblock essential does, for lower cost.

roblock doesn't allow you to protect your Blackberry and your Windows laptop/netbook/desktop. You will need multiple applications which is quite inconvenient and ends up more expensive.

It is a real advantage to be able to manage all your devices using one web account.

phrider
01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Carbonite will do a Windows machine for $55 per year. Roblock does the Blackberry for $28 per year ($49 before a recent price reduction). So $83 per year is cheaper that $120 for your service.

Yes, there may be some convenience of a single source -- but you have established competition offering lower prices.

mrvtx
01-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi mrvtx,

$9.95 a month for a service which provides anti-theft protection (locking, wiping and encryption), remote monitoring (location, screenshots and webcam) and online backup (100GB) for all your Windows and Blackberry devices, is competitively priced.

We have been doing extensive research online and we don't know of another service providing anti-theft protection, monitoring and online backup. We know online services providing one of those services, but not the 3 of them in 1 easy-to-use package.

Those 3 features work together to provide a very good protection. Wiping data when your device is stolen is a great feature but knowing that it has been backed up automatically before is much better ;)

It is free to try for 3 months, do not hesitate to try and let us know what you think at tomnica.com .

I'm not trying to get you to change your price, just letting you know that I don't think that those services are worth that much to me. You may find enough who think they are, and you will have a successful business model.

lverl78
01-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Carbonite will do a Windows machine for $55 per year. Roblock does the Blackberry for $28 per year ($49 before a recent price reduction). So $83 per year is cheaper that $120 for your service.

Yes, there may be some convenience of a single source -- but you have established competition offering lower prices.

Thanks for your message.

You have to look at everything when you compare. We provide anti-theft (locking,wiping,encryption), remote monitoring (location, screenshots, webcams) and online backup for Windows devices AND Blackberry devices.

Carbonite only offers online backup.

We are not trying to be another Carbonite or Mozy. We are offering anti-theft features like locking, wiping and encryption along with online storage. Those 2 features work very well together.

Another advantage of the Tomnica service is that you can manage all your devices using one web account, everything can be controlled anywhere, anytime. You can decide what to back up, what to wipe in case device gets stolen, see where your device is, what is going on on the device right now etc... All of that can be done online from any machine connected to the internet.

lverl78
01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm not trying to get you to change your price, just letting you know that I don't think that those services are worth that much to me. You may find enough who think they are, and you will have a successful business model.

Hi mrvtx,

I enjoy feedback like on this post, it is very interesting to see what people use and what they think of a new service like ours.

Our service is suitable to people who want to protect and monitor all their devices using one unique service.

There are very good online backup services out there, we are not trying to compete with them. Our service is security based and relies on features like locking, wiping, encryption and online backup to offer a very good protection to mobile users.

Regards,