PDA

View Full Version : memory card encryption

ahpitre
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
I have a Curve 8900, with AT&T (BIS). My SD Card was using encryption. I turned off encryption, but the files in the card continue to have the encryption. Is there anyway of removing the encryption from the files already in the SD Card?:idea:

penguin3107
01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
No there's no way to do that.
Turning off encryption will only prevent newly added files from being encrypted.
Previously encrypted files will remain encrypted.

ahpitre
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
No there's no way to do that.
Turning off encryption will only prevent newly added files from being encrypted.
Previously encrypted files will remain encrypted.

So I have the following settings (Options - Memory) :
Media Card Support : On
Encryption Mode : Security password
Encrypt media files : No
Mass Storage support : On
Auto enable mass storage mode when connected : Yes

Do these settings mean that only media files (Photos, Video, music) will not be encrypted? What about other files (attachments (Eg. PDFs, e-mail messages, etc.), are they encrypted?

monkeypaw
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
With those settings, if you save an attachment like an Excel spreadsheet on the sd card it will be encrypted. Pictures, videos, and I think voice recordings will not.

To un-encrypt, you can copy or move them (with encryption off) to a different folder on the card or to the device memory. Or email them to yourself. Or bluetooth send them. If you have a lot, try finding some BB app that will mass copy or move.

froussy
01-20-2010, 02:53 PM
If we encrypt it on a BB, and we change BB... what happen, will the data be accessible or not ?

SteveO86
01-21-2010, 06:36 PM
The encryption mode is tied to you password not your device.

scooterlawyer
02-04-2010, 06:06 AM
what would be the solution if an IT Policy were used at the BES level ? Can Outlook data be encrypted without locking down the entire SD card ?

penguin3107
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
what would be the solution if an IT Policy were used at the BES level ? Can Outlook data be encrypted without locking down the entire SD card ?

Your questions don't make much sense.
Outlook data (whatever that means) has nothing to do with SD card encryption. They're mutually exclusive.