PDA

View Full Version : 870 Holster problems?

nb_mitch
12-14-2005, 10:14 PM
In the first few days, I dropped my 8700 while removing it from the holster. No big deal, I figured it was my fault.

Then a few days ago, while play with my son, it fell out of the holster, without any contact to the holster or BB.

Tonight, while walking across the parking lot it fell out again, this time coming apart with the battery and back seperating. There are scuff marks all up the back side of the BB and on the front corner from the second drop.

It is still ticking, but the outer case doesn't seem as durable as the 7290 and the plastic holster isn't as firm. I will have to find something better.

I contacted Spec-Products about their Skin-Tight which I figured would hide all the damage and protect when it falls again, but they said they currently have no plans to make a holtser for the 8700.

Any suggestions for something that will keep it in place and off the ground?

MegaBit
12-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Based on your use patterns and accidental drop issues, I would recommend you place the BlackBerry safely in your pocket. This is especially true when playing sports like football.

The plastic holster is not the best, but I don't think RIM intended a business device to be capable of contact sport play. However, I'm sure a third party will come to your rescue with a neoprene sport case sometime soon.

And having a solid color case would have much better than a painted one- we can proabably blame Cingular marketing for that mistake.

nb_mitch
12-15-2005, 10:45 AM
In none of the accidents I had, was there any contact to the BB or holster, yes once I was playing with my son, but that fact that I spun should not have cause the BB to come out of the holster. I never had the problem with my 7290, and my son and I play this same game of 1-on-1 tag football every morning while waiting for his bus (he is 7). So in the 4+ months since school started, my 7290 never left the holster.

I no longer wear my BB during football :)

mekmaier
12-16-2005, 08:34 PM
I appreciate the anecdotes but this holster is seriously flawed. As soon as anyone comes out with something decent, I'm sure we'd all appreciate getting a heads up.

thanks,
mek

Seattle18
12-16-2005, 09:06 PM
I appreciate the anecdotes but this holster is seriously flawed. As soon as anyone comes out with something decent, I'm sure we'd all appreciate getting a heads up.

thanks,
mek
I agree - I hate the OEM holster. I am going to get one of the BlackBerry leather slip in types when they come out in a few months, but until then I ordered one from here: http://www.gizmoskin.com/8700.htm

I just hope it is as nice as I have heard. I prefer the slip in with no flap, like the BB ones, but this will do until then. It will be here on Monday, and I will post a mini-review when I get it.