PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth

silcas
12-15-2005, 04:15 AM
Yes, i know, i know. you will laugh.
i have a bberry 7100, is there any way to synchronize the phone with my laptop using bluetooth? i have tried everything, the bluetooth key finds the phone, they cross passwords, say hello and that's all. no way to update the phone, it seems the bluetooth software finds a phone, not a PDA.
Is there any -new?- software or whatever to get it done?
Or is it just impossible?
Thanks, friends
Sylvia

martin_j001
12-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Unless you have handheld os v4.1 on your blackberry, you will not be able to sync via bluetooth. Currently, this os is only available for the 7100i from Nextel. There are specific requirements that are also required of your pc and the brand of usb BT adapter as well, check the FAQ linked in my signature for more info, as it will be the same for all carriers once os v4.1 is out....

RonM
12-15-2005, 12:00 PM
My Verizon 7130e has v4.1, but still can't get it to do a Bluetooth sync. I believe VZW has limited that feature.

bbPeterParker
12-15-2005, 01:43 PM
It is not seeing the BT on your computer? Or are you not able to sync?

pittperson
12-15-2005, 01:51 PM
I have the 7130e and verizon and am able to sync with BT. You cannot load apps with BT however.

RonM
12-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Pitt...you can sync? Please provide details. My devices can pair but that's where it ends.

whsbuss
12-15-2005, 06:50 PM
My Verizon 7130e has v4.1, but still can't get it to do a Bluetooth sync. I believe VZW has limited that feature.

You need a Microsoft approved BT device on your PC and WinXP-SP2 installed for BT to work on the BB. You can find more info at blackberry.com under support.

thelazzyone
12-15-2005, 06:54 PM
I am having a similar problem. I can pair my 7100i phone with my computer, my desktop manager connects to my phone, it knows my phone is connected via bluetooth and shows me my pin, but the only problem is it still says disconnected even though in connection settings it detects the phone. I was wondering was anyone else having the same problem?

Jeff d
12-15-2005, 10:47 PM
With the 7130e and a "Microsoft approved" BT adapter can you do modem teathering over BT to connect to the internet through the blackberry rather than using the USB cable?

NJBlackBerry
12-15-2005, 10:50 PM
With the 7130e and a "Microsoft approved" BT adapter can you do modem teathering over BT to connect to the internet through the blackberry rather than using the USB cable?
No. You can only sync and use wireless headsets.

stealthx32
12-16-2005, 03:33 AM

Its technically possible. I was able to do so on my SonyEricsson T610. But as for software limitations...I haven't been able to try since I still have 4.0.2.32.

NJBlackBerry
12-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Its technically possible. I was able to do so on my SonyEricsson T610. But as for software limitations...I haven't been able to try since I still have 4.0.2.32.
Is it technically possible ON A BLACKBERRY?
I think not.
I can play FM radio on my old Nokia something or another phone, but that doesn't mean you can do it on a BB.

stealthx32
12-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Um. Okay. You da boss. :oops: :oops: :razz: :razz: :wink: :wink: :???: :???:

If RIM was able to activate syncing over Bluetooth with a simple software update, who's to say they can't enable the modem as well? Are you a closet Blackberry engineer?

D-Psypher
12-30-2005, 10:15 PM
I am looking for this modem feature as well... I want to use my BB as a modem on the go.

kimojoe
12-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I use a VZW 7130e and can sync over BT to my laptop. This "feature" didn't come without some pain. I spent the better part of 2 hours on the phone with VZW support. The final solution (which they didn't really know) was to deinstall the BT software that came with my adapter and just use the native WinXP BT support. There are some settings specific to BT within the Desktop Manager/Configuration that need to be enabled. After that, it works fine.

whsbuss
12-31-2005, 06:38 AM
I use a VZW 7130e and can sync over BT to my laptop. This "feature" didn't come without some pain. I spent the better part of 2 hours on the phone with VZW support. The final solution (which they didn't really know) was to deinstall the BT software that came with my adapter and just use the native WinXP BT support. There are some settings specific to BT within the Desktop Manager/Configuration that need to be enabled. After that, it works fine.

Its been well documented here in the forum regarding the use of non-supported BT adapters and their associated software. The desktop manager requires WinXP SP2 supported devices only.

martinijim
12-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Emailed T-Mo last week to find out when they would be releasing handheld v4.1, only response I got was a request for account information (don't ask why they need that to tell me when v4.1 will be released..). Anyhow, I'll share my response (if I get one).

brandont
01-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Well, two of us at work (both IT guys) worked on this for the better part of a day. We're running WinXP Pro SP2, and 7100i (Nextel, 4.1). We ordered the Belkin 100m BT adapters. We could occasionally get the pairing to happen, but it seemed random - usually after a PC AND PHONE reboot. The instructions from BB said to initiate via the PC, which only worked twice all day - maybe 5% of the attempts. And the phone wouldn't always find the PC if initiated on that end either. When the PC did find it - the BB never prompts for a passkey. Then, when paired you have to go into device manager and 'find' the phone again. This NEVER worked. So I am of the opinion that the Belkin adapters aren't working for squat. I mean our phones find each other, headsets, and speakerphones just fine. They even find my HP laptop (just won't connect to sync - non MS driver). Does anyone have experience with a solid BT adapter?

brandont
01-05-2006, 04:03 PM
FYI - I got a Zonet adapter to work (Non-MS Approved!). Originally I had tried it with the included software, but I uninstalled that while trying to get the Belkin adapter (MS approved) to work. As soon as I plugged the Zonet in, I was rocking. Click add device - Hey, it found the BB! (This didn't work very well with the Belkin). As soon as I entered a passkey on the PC, the BB prompted me to enter it (This never happened). When I go to device manager, it found the phone right away and added it. It was a snap with the Zonet.

I don't recommend the Belkin 100m adapter at all. The non-approved one worked just the way it was supposed to. Why can't all of the approved ones work? ALl I can say is, if you can't get the device paired and the PC won't find it - try another adapter!

Bandicoot
03-22-2006, 09:50 PM
OK, so the current position seems to be that a Blackberry 7130e (bought only yesterday with latest software) can pair with a laptop running latest XP but cannot sync? Sync-ing only available via the USB. Is anything going to happen to fix this?

ThumbsOfSteel
03-23-2006, 10:14 AM
It can definitely Sync. I'm syncing using a 2 year old Dell running XP with a Belkin USB BT adapter. Trick is that you have to run the RIM Device Manager and configure for BT. Then it will show up in the Blackberry Desktop Software as BT.

Hope this helps!

KonTiki
03-23-2006, 10:19 AM
It can definitely Sync. I'm syncing using a 2 year old Dell running XP with a Belkin USB BT adapter. Trick is that you have to run the RIM Device Manager and configure for BT. Then it will show up in the Blackberry Desktop Software as BT.

Hope this helps!

Please elaborate on this, I am running a Belkin bluetooth adapter as well on a DELL XP2 as well and have never been able to synch. What do you mean RIM Device manager, and what configuration did you use. PLEASE I am dying to get this done.

whsbuss
03-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Please elaborate on this, I am running a Belkin bluetooth adapter as well on a DELL XP2 as well and have never been able to synch. What do you mean RIM Device manager, and what configuration did you use. PLEASE I am dying to get this done.

I remember something about this in the Bluetooth thread. I believe its in one of the stickys.

KonTiki
03-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Yes I Have read all the stickies and follow the directions but still to no avail are you on 4.1 Os or 4.02. Also what is the RIM Device Manager you are talking about? (Do you mean the handheld device manager the BLACKBERRY Device Manager)

ThumbsOfSteel
03-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Sorry, I was typing from memory.
Yeas, if you start BB Device manager and then double clikc on it in your system tray it will pop up and there is a checkbox to enable bluetooth.

I am using a Belkin F8T003 USB Bluetooth adapter and get solid connections to my BB 7130e. I am running the latest and greatest software from Verizon (4.1.0.268), however I also had it working with the original software from verizon as well as the Bell software.

Good luck!

KonTiki
03-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Ok that is what I thought. I am running the Sprint 4.1 OS. I was able to do it with the original 4.02 Verizon software, and I too have a belkin bluetooth, My BB is a 7250 and Verizon has not released 4.1 OS for it. So the bottom line of the story is as stated before it is a software situation that wioll not be cleared for the 7250s until such time as the appropriate Verizon 4.1 is released for it. Thanks for clearing that up.

geostott
03-25-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm having the same problem - My 7130e (Verizon) connects to the computer. It asks for the passkey which I just enter as 11111 and a window pops up on the laptop asking for a passkey. I enter the same and it seems to work. When I run the BT software on the laptop (Dell w/Toshiba BT) it does not recognize any BT devices even though it is connected through the BB. Also, when I right click on the "Device Manager" and choose "Properties", the "Enable Bluetooth" selection is grayed out. I can't enable BT. Any suggestions?

johnnymac
03-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Try this:

Ooops, I was going to paste a link here, but apparently cannot because I don't have enough posts. Here's the long way:

On BlackBerry's site, go to the Support page. From there, go to Technical Knowledge Center>Public Technical Knowledge Center>Support Knowledge Base Articles. When you get to that page, type 'bluetooth pc' into the search box, and select the first item in the search results. I worked through this procedure and made significant progress.

I'm still a bit stuck, though. I'm at the point where I have successfully established a bluetooth pairing between the handheld and PC. Each device shows up in the other's list of bluetooth devices, and I get a blue flashing light on the handheld. And when I go to Desktop Manager/Options/Connection Settings, a Bluetooth connection (including my handheld's PIN) shows up among the choices in the drop-down list. But when I return to the startup screen for Desktop Manager, it says 'disconnected' in the status box in the bottom right corner. I feel like I'm awfully close to a Bluetooth sync, but I'm not quite there.

The only clues I can come up with at this point are that, on the handheld, when I view the properties for the PC, no services are listed. But generally I'm stumped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.