PDA

View Full Version : PassKeeper data showed up on new BB after swap!

AlAboos
12-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi folks,

I have a question. I have upgraded my Nextel 7250 to 7100i. I used Outlook to synchronize the new toy right after I swapped.

Today I sat down to punch all my old passwords, credit card data and everything else in my new BB, but to my surprise I noticed that everything I had in my old BB are now in my new one!!! Not that I'm complaining... it saved me a lot of time, but I'm wondering how that is possible while there is nothing about PassKeeper in Intellisync. It gives me a chill to realize that encrypted data can be so easily transferred to a new device without a prompt or warning.

I'm using Desktop sofware V4.1 and BES FYI.

bdestephen
12-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Using the Desktop Manager software, plug in your BB and goto Backup and Restore -> Advanced. On the right hand side, you will see the database that holds the Password keeper information. All of the data bases are included in a standard backup and that is how it got transfered to your new BB.

Enjoy!

AlAboos
12-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Hmm... this is a very nice feature that they've added, but I didn't back up my old database before I hooked the new one up (thought they won't be compatible), and I only synchronized my Outlook contacts. How is that possible? Does Desktop 4.1 automatically backup your data once your BB is hooked up and then restores it to the new one?

Thanks for the reply, though.

bdestephen
12-15-2005, 11:29 AM
If your on BES 4.0+ you have automatic Over the Air (OTA) backup.

RonM
12-15-2005, 11:55 AM
So with BES 4.0+ can we assume that all the info in the BB is also on the server? Even personal info that we thought might not be viewable by our employers?

AlAboos
12-15-2005, 12:12 PM
So with BES 4.0+ can we assume that all the info in the BB is also on the server? Even personal info that we thought might not be viewable by our employers?

That's exactly my point. I thought all encrypted info in PassKeeper are way more secure than that.

RonM
12-15-2005, 12:16 PM
How about the call log? Is that viewable by my network administrator?

hondacrvaz
12-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Yes it's available....

AlAboos
12-15-2005, 07:32 PM

You don't wanna know what I can pull out of BES. Pretty much any kind of log your ISP can have I can have as well.

RonM
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Big Brother is WATCHING!