PDA

View Full Version : Noobiee Questions

NuckinFuts
12-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Hello,
I am very new to Blackberrys. I have always been a Verizon customer and just recently bought the 7130e. I am not on BES and probably wont be on it anytime soon. I only use it as a phone and thats about it. My questions are:

1. What is Tethering?
I did a search, but all I could find was that its some way of connecting to another device for internet connectivity. Is it only available as a business customer? Or if you have subscribed for data? My account is a corporate account but I am not subscribing data transfer featers, I think that was $44 per month or something like that.

2. I can not SMS, is that only available if I sign up for the SMS service through Verizon?

3. If I were to send a PIN message to someone, will it cost me anything? I tried sending it to myself and I was able to do that.

4. What is the "password" used for under "Option"->"Security Options"->"General Settings"->"Password" ?
Is that the password one would enter to connect to my device through bluetooth?

5. I assume since I dont have the data services, I will not be able to connect to the net in any way or form, is that correct?

joginder
12-15-2005, 11:38 AM
1. Tethering: you are right.
2. SMS should work for you unless your provider does not allow it. Almost all the providers allow to send/receive SMS because there is big money in this for them. Check with your prov.
3. PIN mesg is from one BB to another BB and that is anywhere on the earth AS LONG AS both BB's have data plans from any providers. it DOES NOT cost you any money and it is part of your data plan and should come out of your data plan. if you have unlimited data plan then it is FREE for you.
4. This password is used for locking up the BB so that if someone got access of your BB then they will not be able to see your info . also keep in mind if you mistype the passwd 10 times then it will delete everything so which is nice. In case you lose your BB then other party will not have your info. You never need password to connect to BT. that is called PASSPHRASE and that is from the BT manufacturer, usually '00000'
5. Correct. BB world works on service books (Options-->Service Book) and each service book defines what you can do on the BB. so if there is no service book for the internet then no internet for you.

I hope I answered

NuckinFuts
12-15-2005, 11:54 AM
joginder,

SMS does not work for me, when I try to send it, I get a message, "SMS Error 97, message id 5) service denied"

So I can not PIN msg anyone unless I subscribe the data plan?

Under the Service Book, I have the following listed,
1. IPPP for BIBS (IPPP)
2. Blackberry Internet Browsing service
3. Browser Config for 5 Click
4. IPPP for 5 Click
5. Provisioning
6. Verizon Wireless (WAP)
Does that mean I can connect to the internet? I dont have a data plan.

RonM
12-15-2005, 12:15 PM
There's a lot of confusion surrounding the 7130e and tethering. The store told me you get it automatically, but it uses your minutes. I couldn't get mine to work so call tech support. They told me I'd have to subscribe at $15/month but that would give me unlimitted tethered access w/o using minutes, which for me would be the best deal. Verizon still seems to be a little confused with this new product.

NuckinFuts
12-15-2005, 02:07 PM
anyone?