PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone that has received a BB recently have the dust problem?

dwlace01
12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
I purchased mine through cingular aobut a week ago, and unfortunately i can now see some dust under the screen. I was just wondering if anyone else that received their bb recently was having this problem?

Also, does anyone know a definitive answer about when and how RIM plans on fixing this problem? There was some talk earlier about them finding a new mfr for their housing but i haven't heard anything else.

Last, but not least, has anyone spoken to cingular/RIM about replacing a unit because of the dust issue? any luck?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

-dwl

jnelson2000
12-15-2005, 01:06 PM
got my 5th replacement yesterday and 12 hrs later I have a plastic fragment and 4 dust speckles oon the LCD.

so thats 2 DOA, 1 constand reboot, 2 Dust

Nice! When is the 700W coming out? I am just so furious that I may recommend that our company switch to another system.

dwlace01
12-15-2005, 01:14 PM
the dust problem with me hasn't reached the point of a "problem" yet. I will be holding out for a year at the most, limited warranty, to see if they are able to fix it.

richard371
12-15-2005, 01:26 PM
People I would not bother swapping out your dusty units until this is certainly resolved as it will just keep happening to the replacements. Also do not forget Cingulars stupid return policy where you are allowed to exchange the device once in the 30 day period and you are not able to get a refund on the exchanged if you decide. Best bet is to ask for a full refund on the first one and then buy another one. I learned this the hard way with a Treo.

dwlace01
12-15-2005, 01:34 PM
i would assume that either cingular or RIM ... maybe a joint effort...will be more than happy to exchange for a better device when it is available. It is their rep on the line and i doubt that they would let something like this just fall through the cracks...no pun intended. haha no really i will be waiting until they fix the problem to mention anything to cingular/RIM about it but when their is a fix, i will be on the phone with whoever i need to be until i get a new one.

Inphektion
12-15-2005, 02:30 PM
I just received new units yesterday (not replacements just more deploying) and they are exactly the same as our first shipment a month ago. So RIM hasn't fixed anything yet...

likefre
12-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I received my second replacement yesterday, (bluetooth problems on the second one), i noticed the lower keyboard keys are a lot stiffer than of the second and the first 8700 especially the spacebar hey. The interesting thing about this is that when i called cingular for a replacement, the cs had me look at the back of the unit and so on, and she asked me if my 8700 had a little red square sticker, or if it was white of if in fact it did not have a sticker at all on the back of the unit(left bottom part right below the battery). I asked her what difference would it make and she just said that it was a way for cingular to identify the unit. BTW my first one did not have the "sticker" and the last two did have the little square white sticker.No red ones so far. Anyone knows what these stickers stand for?

Inphektion
12-15-2005, 03:15 PM
That sticker thing is interesting. Of the 3 8700's near me right now all of them have the square white sticker.
One of these 8700's I got in november and the other two came in yesterday. So I doubt the sticker is a manufacturing release timeframe.

justin.culp
12-15-2005, 03:38 PM
That sticker thing is interesting. My first one had the red sticker. The current one has the white.

What the hell do those mean?

BTW my 7280 had the red as well and that was the best damn machine I ever owned, period!

wirelessandy
12-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I know that on some phones, a little ROUND sticker inside the battery compartment serves as a moisture indicator. If it's white, that means no exposure to excessive moisture. if it's reddish... well, that means your phone may have gone puddle jumping or taken a tour in the washing machine.

If I had to GUESS, I'd say the person with customer service processing a warranty/exchange claim was trying to determine if your unit had "taken a bath".

I've never heard of square stickers, though. Just round ones.

dwlace01
12-15-2005, 03:51 PM
very interesting observation. My unit has the white sticker. In my past exp. with cell phones, they all have some sort of "colorchanging" sticker under the battery or in taht general area to indicate water damage. ie. it turns red when it has come in contact with water. But i am sure that this is not the case witht his sticker because some of the units, as said above, ship with a red sticker. HMM

RIM has just emailed me and said "it is not normal for there to be dust under your 8700c's screen. Please return to the POS and exchange it for a new, nondefective device."

Im sure this is just another case of someone low level techy not being informed of the dust problem, and there for can not give me any up-to-date information about this issue. I will continue to bother RIM until i get an answer but so far i have not been able to find anyone except people on this forum that know about this issue at all.

very frustrating

dwl

mzini
12-15-2005, 05:37 PM
I received my 8700c about 3 weeks ago, and I have yet to get a single piece of dust under the screen. I even keep it in my pocket sometimes (but usually in the holster, on my belt). I take it with my EVERYWHERE, and I'm on it all day long (I have to be with my business). I've been kind of surprised, because I've been waiting to get some dust because of everything I've heard on these boards. But, as of today, still no dust (*knocks on wood*). It's crystal clear, just like the day I bought it.

I'll let you all know when that changes! lol

dwlace01
12-15-2005, 06:01 PM
well i said the same thing..and unless you were looking for it, you wouldn't be able to spot the 1 or 2 specs of dust under mine either. It really is'nt a big problem to me yet i just think that if im paying so much for a phone, i want it to be as solid as possible. BUt yea, the dust in my device hasn't even gotten to the point of noticable yet....

witz
12-15-2005, 06:04 PM
have had mine for a few week, no dust problem like described in this forum. i don't even use a case or a holster...

MobileAGBell
12-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Mine is one week old and dust free.

0utlier
12-15-2005, 07:44 PM
I've had mine for a couple of weeks, but haven't had any dust issues.... yet An interesting thing to do is go in a dark room, turn on your 8700, and look down the sides of it. You'll see light coming through where the two halfs of the unit are put together, near the keyboard (at least on mine there is light escaping). You can squeeze the unit together and it will close it up. This is a bad sign. I may not have a dust problem now, but I expect I will in the future.

Inphektion
12-15-2005, 08:51 PM
The sticker is not a moisture indicator. That is already directly on the battery that is in every BB that doesn't take double A's. Those indicators are more matte and this square sticker is more glossy.

likefre
12-15-2005, 09:03 PM
I've had mine for a couple of weeks, but haven't had any dust issues.... yet An interesting thing to do is go in a dark room, turn on your 8700, and look down the sides of it. You'll see light coming through where the two halfs of the unit are put together, near the keyboard (at least on mine there is light escaping). You can squeeze the unit together and it will close it up. This is a bad sign. I may not have a dust problem now, but I expect I will in the future.
i had the same problem with the unit i received yesterday, ( noticeable gap on the left side) at first i was willing to live it like that but this morning i just couldn't stop looking at each side of the unit noticing how different was one side from the other.So after squeezing the left side of the unit about 50 times i went ahead and got myself a T6 screwdriver and thighten the left side screw of the unit, i noticed the screw was not as tight as the right side's screw so while squeezing the unit together i tighten it. Guess what, now both sides look exactly the same.."nice and tight" .

MegaBit
12-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Mine is as tight as it's going to get and there is still enough room to slide a business card between the top case the black plastic side. Poor build quality.

invisik
12-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Ok, so could you run a line of superglue (or something like that) in the seam between the two sides of the cases to seal it? You shouldn't be taking it apart anyway.

Would it be a warranty voider?

Yes, I know you shouldn't have to do it at all, but getting a replacement unit monthly seems like a waste of time (until they have a revised model)....

Thanks1

-m

greggebhardt
12-16-2005, 06:12 AM
That sticker thing is interesting. My first one had the red sticker. The current one has the white.

What the hell do those mean?

BTW my 7280 had the red as well and that was the best damn machine I ever owned, period!

With as many 8700s as are being returned, I would think it is possible that teh returned units were cleaned and being sold back to the public by now. I just saw a new 8700 yesterday and it was no different than the one I got when first released. This person's unit was only two days old and had a good bit of dust behind the screen.

I feel guilty as I did not even tell them as they were in such love with the device that I did not want to ruin it for them.

saldous
12-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Put silicone in the gap?

Obsidiank
12-16-2005, 09:25 AM
I don't just have dust, I have glitter, gold glitter on two of my units. It's ridiculous.

mikeruoc
12-16-2005, 09:25 AM
I just did that. We will see if it helps. Cant believe I just caulked a cell phone!! :razz:

Mine was not bad so if it helps that will be great!

dwlace01
12-16-2005, 11:57 AM
well i wont be caulking anything on my phone as im almost sure that will void the warranty. I've said it before and i'll say it again. I will hold on to my awesome 8700c until RIM and Cingular figure it out and fix it. Once im sure its fixed, i will go through the replacement process and replace it until i get a new model that isn't defective. I hope one of the mods will be able to keep us up to date on this issue and where it stands in RIM. wink wink

richard371
12-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Gold glitter. Maybe the manf people had a halloween costume party that day yours was made :)

Billroy
12-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Mine is 10 days old..full of dust under the screen. The dust is getting in through the battery lid. Take the lid off and remove the battery... there's no seal into the guts at all... wide open!

mikeruoc
12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Will not void the warranty. Did not open it or anything. Just some clear caulk. Can not see it at all. But they called me about my replacement unit. It will be here Tuesday so we will see how that one does.

well i wont be caulking anything on my phone as im almost sure that will void the warranty. I've said it before and i'll say it again. I will hold on to my awesome 8700c until RIM and Cingular figure it out and fix it. Once im sure its fixed, i will go through the replacement process and replace it until i get a new model that isn't defective. I hope one of the mods will be able to keep us up to date on this issue and where it stands in RIM. wink wink

zero1
12-16-2005, 02:29 PM
just got mine monday and already have dust!!!

richard371
12-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Just starting carrying in my pocket and dust is going in. What a piece!

loubolb
12-17-2005, 02:07 PM
The white sticker IS a moisture detection sticker. I licked my finger and touched it and it turned red.

luckiweeman
12-17-2005, 02:21 PM
I've had my unit for about 3 weeks and I'm one of the fortunate ones that has not had the dust problem. The screen is as clean as the day I took it out the box. I usually keep my unit in a Targus Mini digital camera bag. It fits perfectly and keeps the unit completely covered.

BES admin
12-17-2005, 02:27 PM
People... Enough with the dust already.

...Have your wife clean it once a week like she does the rest of the house.

takeshi
12-17-2005, 04:36 PM
You know, I haven't had dust issues myself (or else I might join in) but why are people who are pissed off about the dust threads reading the dust threads? It's not like they're deceptively labelled or anything...

jonlevine
12-17-2005, 06:43 PM
I didn't experience the dust issue until the other day. I've had the device since December 1st and have kept in the holster since day one. This weekend, I took a trip and decided to pocket the device. After one day in my pocket, I noticed dust under the screen. Two days, it got worse. Not just a few specks, but a lot! As soon as I get back into town, I'm going right back to the Cingular store and exchanging it for a new one.

For those who are saying it's no big deal, wait until it happens to you. It's like having a dirty screen and not be able to clean it. It's completely annoying and something that should not happen. Hopefully, the replacement device will not have the same issue.

tfaz1
12-17-2005, 08:44 PM
I haven't had this problem yet, but it sounds like a legit concern. I would expect RIM to fix this and take appropriate steps to replace any defective units. I'm willing to bet they'll do the right thing in the end.

likefre
12-18-2005, 02:36 PM
any info on the different color stickers on the back of the unit?

invisik
12-19-2005, 10:47 PM
One of the posters reported the dust was coming in through the battery compartment. Would a business card cut to fit close up that area?

Also, what if you applied a light suction there, would it suck out the dust from the screen? (aka pull the dust out the same way it came in..??)

Can't wait to have the dust problem!!! Come on T-Mobile!

-m

barjohn
12-19-2005, 11:38 PM
RIM has asked me to get a list together of users having the dust problem so they can get a handle on it. Cingular has not reported it as a problem to RIM with only 2 reports of dust as a problem. Please PM me with your contact information and whetehr the dust problem was 1) resolved by Cingular or, 2)resolved by RIM or 3)not resolved or 4) you resolved yourself by opening the unit. RIM wants to get to the bottom of the problem but needs your help.

John-Fox
12-20-2005, 07:42 PM
RIM has asked me to get a list together of users having the dust problem so they can get a handle on it. Cingular has not reported it as a problem to RIM with only 2 reports of dust as a problem. Please PM me with your contact information and whetehr the dust problem was 1) resolved by Cingular or, 2)resolved by RIM or 3)not resolved or 4) you resolved yourself by opening the unit. RIM wants to get to the bottom of the problem but needs your help.
I returned one over the dust. It was not a big issue, but just should not be occurring. Now that I have tried the new Cingular 2125 and realize that WM is not solid, I will probably get an 8700 back again soon.