PDA

View Full Version : Heres something different: How do you find what letter associates with a number?

sfla99
12-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi all,

I was just thinking of something different, regarding alphabetical to numerical assignment. Just recently before I purchased the 8700, I had to make a call to a company that only displayed there prefix and then their company name as the phone number.

Now for a minute their I was stumped, but then I remembered that the graphical touch pad the Treo has displays the alphabetical value under each graphical number key.

So out of curiosity, I was just wondering, how does one handle this on a BB? Sure I could just learn and remember what letter are associated with each key, but for a quick reference is this possible at all on a BB?

Thanks in advance.

Stinsonddog
12-15-2005, 01:43 PM
No don't ask them, but really call them by letter. It will dial the correct the numbers. If you are trying to associate a telephone keypad, I don't know a way.

Hi all,

I was just thinking of something different, regarding alphabetical to numerical assignment. Just recently before I purchased the 8700, I had to make a call to a company that only displayed there prefix and then their company name as the phone number.

Now for a minute their I was stumped, but then I remembered that the graphical touch pad the Treo has displays the alphabetical value under each graphical number key.

So out of curiosity, I was just wondering, how does one handle this on a BB? Sure I could just learn and remember what letter are associated with each key, but for a quick reference is this possible at all on a BB?

Thanks in advance.

NJBlackBerry
12-15-2005, 01:44 PM
You don't have to learn or remember anything. To dial an alpha number, like 1 800 FLOWERS, hold down the ALT key and press the letter. No translation necessary. The BB does it for you.

This information can be found in the online help system on the 8700 is the section under "phone", labaled Dial Using Numbers.

sfla99
12-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I think I actually just figured it out!

Hold the ALT-KEY and type the words when it dials it replaces the letters by the numbered values!

That was easy hehe..

sfla99
12-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Too late hehe,

Thanks Guys, I know the ole RTFM would have helped =) Was just one of those things that slipped over real quickly I guess.

Cheers!

nb_mitch
12-15-2005, 01:53 PM
and I was just about to duct tape the letters to my number keys ;)