PDA

View Full Version : Content Protection

Lex Luthor
12-15-2005, 01:48 PM
This may be a really dumb question but I just need to know if I am doing something wrong. I've never once on any of my previous blackberries enabled content protection. I wanted to do it now and so from my understanding with my 8700r I need to go to Options/Security Options/General Settings/Content Protection then from there change it from disable to enable.

It then tells me:

To enable content protection the handheld password must be set. Would you like to enable the handheld password? Yes or No.

I click yes but then there is no option to enter a password. Forgive me if it's a major noobiefied question I just somehow want a lock on my blackberry so upon powering on or what not there has to be a password so god forbid my unit gets stolen all the info I have is protected.

Thanks in advance and please don't flame me.

foobar
12-15-2005, 01:54 PM
You don't need to set content protection, you just need to enable a password. At the top of the screen that you described there should be an option that says "Password: Disabled" change it to "Enabled" and click Save. It should prompt you do that.

6feets
12-15-2005, 01:55 PM
In order to use Contect Protection, you have to have a password assigned to the handheld. in any event - you will be prompted to either create a handheld password or enter your already created hh password to enable content protection. Sounds like something isn't working properly. Try reloading the handheld software...

tomryan
12-15-2005, 01:59 PM
You don't need to set content protection, you just need to enable a password. At the top of the screen that you described there should be an option that says "Password: Disabled" change it to "Enabled" and click Save. It should prompt you do that.

Actually, having a password does not necessarily mean content protection.. if you want the contents of the device "protected" (i.e. encrypted), you need to set content protection.. otherwise, its just "password required to use"..

at least that's my understanding..

Lex Luthor
12-15-2005, 02:01 PM
I got it working. Thanks all :)

One more question though. I now have a new option in my security settings. Memory Cleaning? What is that? It appeared after I set my content protection. I take it that's what will wipe my handheld of any info if the wrong password is entered?

Inphektion
12-15-2005, 02:27 PM
no the memory cleaning just cleans various caches and clipboard data. doesn't wipe your device. have the memory cleaning set to run when holstered.

Lex Luthor
12-15-2005, 02:51 PM
no the memory cleaning just cleans various caches and clipboard data. doesn't wipe your device. have the memory cleaning set to run when holstered.

Thanks for the info.