PDA

View Full Version : 8900 Dead i think ?

nigel129
01-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi all,
this is going to be a bit fustrating as i havent got the phone in my hand, its on loan to my son whos working in srilanka at the momment(im in the UK), BUT its gone belly up after 6 months of use. Heres a description of what went wrong he emailed to me, obviouly i will have to email any suggestions back to so please forgive any delay in replys to posts.

As usual, I plugged the phone to the mains charger before I went to bed. Next morning, I went to office and suddenly at about 11am after having answered few calls the battery drained out. I came home later and found out that even though I had plugged the charger to the mains, I had forgotten to switch on the wall socket hence the phone has not got charged overnight.

Then I kept the phone on the charger overnight and later also through the USB charger in case if the mains charger was faulty but nothing happens. Phone refuse to start up and the red light on top right keeps on flashing when it is connected to the charger.

When I try to check the software through the Desk Top Manager, there is a pop up stating to connect the devise to the computer which I am told is because the software is not identifying the unit. This is what my service provider also told me. I must mention that when they and even I tried to reload software, the SIM was not there as I was using same on another phone. Apart from this nothing else were tried by any party.

Please redirect this post if ive not started thread in correct area (appologies)
Thankyou in advance.
nigel

jsconyers
01-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Your son will need to download and install the OS for his 8900 onto his PC. He can find that here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8900-series-discussion-javelin/215896-latest-os-8900-5-0-0-661-5-0-0-411-multilanguage.html

He will then need to follow steps 1 and 2 in that thread. If the PC can detect the device, then have him follow step 3. This should correct his issue.

If the PC cannot detect his device, have him skip step three and then follow these steps.

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

nigel129
01-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Here the latest from my son, any other ideas or should i get him to post it home and ill send it to Blackberry. How good is their service while within warranty ???
Thanks nigel
Quote :-

I tried everything as explained in all these mails. In all attempts the PC is not identifying the device to proceed with whatever is recommended. Every time there is a pop up window which says either "Connect the device to the PC" or the drop down menus identifying the connection does not appear.

The local carrier is " Dialog" and they are operating the BB server with Vodafone.

Every one seems to think that this is a hardware problem and that is why the PC is not identifying the unit. Guess best option is to try and send this to you to try what ever that is possible at your end. What do you think?

jsconyers
01-27-2010, 10:21 AM
He needs to follow this step:

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

It may take multiple attempts before it connects. I've seen it take up to 20 attempts. It can be frustrating but more times than not, it can be fixed.

Have him reboot the PC and try again.

nigel129
02-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi again, I now have the phone in my possesion. Not syre how much charge there is in it but i cannot get anything bar a dead screen when trying to power it up either on mains or usb. However, i do have a red flashing led, though it does not flash at regular intervals.
Plodded on with "what to do next" instructions as im assuming the blank screen may be partof the software prob(if it is a software prob)
All commands ran fine and Apploader ran, then wizard opened.
At this pint, plugged in phone to USB but wizard does not offer "unkown usb" in the com port options.
After several attemps, as the red led WILL NOT stay on to follow the instructions exactly, im assuming the phone is totally dead and incapable of receiving a charge. Any theorys on this ???
Ill leave the phone in on USB to exclude the possibility of the mains charger being naff.
Out of curiousity, what colour should the led lash while charging. Please remember that i have NEVER used this phone, and the book with it is limited in info to say the least.
thanks and look forward to your help.
nigel

jsconyers
02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
The LED won't flash when charging.

Keep trying the steps above. It may take multiple attempts before the device is detected.

a1) Disconnect the device from the PC.

a2) Keep the Application Loader Wizard window open

a3) Remove the battery and put it back

a4) While the red led is on, reconnect the device to the PC. The led will only stay on for a few seconds

a5) When USB:UNKNOWN appears in the drop down list, you need to immediately select Next