PDA

View Full Version : Hourglass spinning forever

othello
12-15-2005, 02:38 PM
I've seen a few similar posts, but nothing quite like what I'm seeing.

I've got a user who's been through a few blackberrys, all with the same issue.

It started with a 7100 (cingular) after he'd had it for a few weeks it shut itself down, and no matter what you did you could only get the spinning hourglass. Cingular had a tech come to him to take a look at it and they replaced it. A few weeks later, same deal, again Cingular replaced it. On to the 3rd 7100, same problem. This last time Cingular moved him to a 8700 the day they became available. This last weekend, same issue on the 8700. This time I was able to get the 8700 to come back to life after pulling the battery several times. I'm concerned that since it's happened once, it may happen again.

He has no extra applications installed, the only thing he is using it for is receiving email from the Web client, and syncing his calendar and contacts with outlook. He also has pleanty of memory free, about 80%.

I can only imagine with the number of phones he's had that there HAS to be something he's doing to it, but I don't have a clue where to start looking. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do, or at least some way to start diagnosing it?

Thanks,
-Adam

Jase88
12-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Have you asked what he does leading up to this behavior? Is he using a particular type of bluetooth headset?

How is he loading his contacts onto the device? From a previous backup via Desktop Manager, or syncing via BES?

Its funny how every company I've worked for has "that guy" who always seems to muck things up without even trying...LOL

othello
12-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I asked, he doesn't have a clue. He's definatly "that guy."

He's not using a Bluetooth headset, he does have a bluetooth speakerphone in his car, I can't remember what brand it is, but I'll find out. There is another person in the company with the same adapter in her car, and a 7100, so I know it can work.

No BES, he's just using the desktop manager to sync with. He's not using a backup, I thought of that already ;)

Jase88
12-16-2005, 01:00 AM
Next time it happens, retrieve the event log. ALT-LGLG
Seach the log to see what application appears to be causing the issue.

dludwig
12-16-2005, 01:34 AM
How is he carrying it... In his back pocket, like the poster on another thread?

othello
12-16-2005, 01:45 AM
No, he keeps it in the holster