PDA

View Full Version : USB port may be shot, can I charge via serial port?

DooDahMan
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Greetings BB forum,:smile:
Help! :cry:
My USB port on my 8310 Curve seems to be damaged. I first would have to jiggle it, then later bend the USB cable or AC charger to get the phone to connect to my puter or to be charged.

Now my port is loose and am unable to get a connection.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Can I charge the phone with a serial cable? (don't have one and need to get one pronto if I can).

Can I sync via the serial port?

Any other ways to charge the battery at least?

Can someone crack the case and fix the USB connection or is this not worth it. The phone is about 2 years old, but my renewal isn't until May, so would like to get it repaired if possible

Many thanks in advance!(y)

jbairdjr
02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
you will need to either fix the port yourself or send it in to a service center.
If you are lucky and within the warranty period, you could get it replaced by ATT

NJBlackBerry
02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Welcome.

I don't recall there ever being a serial port on the 8310, so charging and syncing are moot.

DooDahMan
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
AT & T service center said can sync with serial port(small hole next to USB) but the only way to charge is via the USB.

Wonder how to repair the USB port? Probably should just find a repair center huh?

Thanks so much for your prompt and courteous replies!(y)

NJBlackBerry
02-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Regardless of what the service center told you, there is no serial port on the BlackBerry. The small hole is a earphone jack.

jbairdjr
02-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I would send it back if its possible.
The service center rep you talked to read from the wrong script.

DooDahMan
02-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Can't send it back...too old, so need a new phone or find a service center....

Thanks for the clarifications about the port....makes sense and "rashid" was indeed reading from the wrong script....

Blackberry support at AT & T American female rep had an idea....take my battery out and charge it in another Blackberry curve.....great if it was that easy to find another!!!

Best wishes to all who responded...be well...

jbairdjr
02-10-2010, 01:08 PM
You can buy the parts and try it yourself, but I think you are right - time for a new Blackberry.
At least with ATT, you can get one on ebay, swap out the sim, then change the account to the new Blackberry yourself.