PDA

View Full Version : protected imap

esj123
02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
my Blackberry users want to connect to our e-mail server by IMAP and SMTP. I really don't want to expose these interfaces to the net. I would like some sort of proxy, preferably authenticating, sitting in front of the IMAP and SMTP/submission ports. Is there any information on doing this? Will the Blackberry support a VPN like open VPN with auto connection establishment?

Thanks

penguin3107
02-11-2010, 08:02 PM
BIS needs unrestricted access to your mail server on standard IMAP ports if using IMAP. SMTP is not required at all.

If security is an issue for you, then you should consider switching to an enterprise email platform and implement BES.

esj123
02-12-2010, 12:35 AM
BIS needs unrestricted access to your mail server on standard IMAP ports if using IMAP. SMTP is not required at all.

If security is an issue for you, then you should consider switching to an enterprise email platform and implement BES.

nothing personal but, this is just another reason I dislike blackberries (besides the fact that they are hostile to people with damaged hands like me).

Thank you for the IMAP only requirement information. That makes things easier and I may just be able to get by with IMAPproxy. But the flippant attitude of " go to an enterprise e-mail platform" appears to completely disregard the fact that many people don't have the budget. I know my clients wouldn't spend the money. Even if it was the best thing for them, they wouldn't spend the money. And yet, they still demand perfection.