PDA

View Full Version : Software & GPS questions

kevarc
12-18-2005, 10:08 PM
I searched and could not find answers to a couple of questions I have about my new BB. FYI, I have building my own PC's since the 286 days so I am not a complete noob, just with BB's.

In my current job, cleaning up New Orleans, we track what we have done. My company phone has GPS and I was looking for a mapping program to move the data to. I saw a Rand McNally one that was for older BB's and was wondering if it would work on my 8700c. Or another one like that where I could enter the waypoints and then transfer them to my PC at the end of the day tracking what we did that day.

I have looked at differnent software for other things and saw that they were for older BB's. Is the 8700c backwards compatable with any of it?

Thanks

nb_mitch
12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Most of the 3rd party software in backward compatible. I have have a few (Yak-on(IM), HelloWorld(map) & PocketDay(organizer)) and they work fine. Also, most of the BB software offers free trial versions that you can download and try for 30 days or so before you decide to buy.

I have a friend that works with mapping software and he worked on plotting the Space Shuttle crash a few years ago, maybe he could suggest some programs, if you want I can ask him?

kevarc
12-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Please do, thanks.

nb_mitch
12-19-2005, 07:45 PM
sent you 2 PM with contact info.

Good Luck,

mgerbasio
12-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Not sure if this would help you but go to www.gpspassion.com or www.semsons.com and find a small bluetooth gps with a datalogger. You could carry it on your belt and just download the data to your pocketpc or notebook when you're back in the office.

Regards-Michael G.

gmc74
01-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Has anyone found some software to work with the 8700c and the Belkin Bluetooth GPS receiver?

Thanks

Grant

jnelson2000
01-29-2006, 11:51 AM
telenav

www.telenav.com

gmc74
01-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks,

I have stumbled upon that, but I am looking for software that runs on the blackberry, rather than a service that you buy.

Something similar to the infinite number of PocketPC packages that are available would be great.

I do appreciate the response though,