PDA

View Full Version : So I googled "why does blackberry browser suck?"

pvdilf40
02-21-2010, 09:39 PM
with Google Mobile App for my 9700 and I clicked on the very first result that came up and got:

HTTP Error 413: Request Entity Too Large
The page you requested could not be loaded. Please try loading a different web page.

Isn't this ironic? Kind of answers my question doesn't it.

ARRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! I absolutely HATE the BB browser. RIM should just contract Opera to provide the default browser in all blackberrys! At least Opera Mini works on most web pages. Would love to be able to have google mobile launch Opera Mini by default.

NJBlackBerry
02-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Wow.

juwaack68
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
If you hate it, and it seems to be important to you, why don't you get a different device?

jsconyers
02-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Try Bolt 5. I believe you can set that as your default.

ArgonNJ
02-21-2010, 10:26 PM
New BB browser coming later this year.

CharredPC
02-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Strange... the browser on my Bold 9700 seems fine. Sure, it's lacking in some ways, but it's better than the alternatives. I have Opera as well, but the mouse movement is downright clunky / jerky. I also have Bolt installed, but when I need to pull up a page, I tend to go to the basic one, and it functions. Now, if you're talking about lack of Flash support.... well, nothing fits the bill there AFAIK.

pvdilf40
02-22-2010, 06:57 AM
If you hate it, and it seems to be important to you, why don't you get a different device?

Huh? Isn't this the rant forum? Why should I have to go out and pay money for another device that browses the web without saying page too large at every turn? Everything about the 9700 is top class and is the best mobile deivice I've ever had but web browsing really sucks and we all know it. WebKit browser is coming from RIM and it can't get her soon enough for me. Hopefully that will let us view many more web pages that we can't now.

Hey juwaack68, why don't you let me rant on the rant forum and keep your smartalic responses like that to yourself.

pvdilf40
02-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Strange... the browser on my Bold 9700 seems fine.
Are you BES activated? I am. Being on BES makes things worse becasue everything gets routed via the Blackberry Browser.

djm2
02-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Huh? Isn't this the rant forum? Why should I have to go out and pay money for another device that browses the web without saying page too large at every turn? Everything about the 9700 is top class and is the best mobile deivice I've ever had but web browsing really sucks and we all know it. WebKit browser is coming from RIM and it can't get her soon enough for me. Hopefully that will let us view many more web pages that we can't now.

Hey juwaack68, why don't you let me rant on the rant forum and keep your smartalic responses like that to yourself.

Double-WOW. :?

juwaack68
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM

I did let you rant - I didn't close the thread or ban you. Be happy.

My question was a serious question. It appears, based on your rant, that the browser is very important to you. If it's that important, perhaps another device would work better for you.

CharredPC
02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Are you BES activated? I am. Being on BES makes things worse becasue everything gets routed via the Blackberry Browser.

No BES, I'm guessing- no data plan at all. But I do use the BB Browser 95% of the time by choice.

jsconyers
02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
No BES, I'm guessing- no data plan at all. But I do use the BB Browser 95% of the time by choice.

You won't have a BlackBerry Browser without a BlackBerry data plan.

ArgonNJ
02-22-2010, 10:29 AM

(n)

CharredPC
02-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Wirelessly posted

You won't have a BlackBerry Browser without a BlackBerry data plan.

Posting this from my Bold, with no data plan, using the BB browser. What is with you people? BTW, back on topic, this site loads fine in it. The Wap version is obviously faster, but it worked okay both ways.

jsconyers
02-22-2010, 10:48 AM
What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F)

What do you mean by "you people"?

You need a Service Book to get the BlackBerry Browser, you need a data plan to get the Service Book. What's so hard to understand about that?

CharredPC
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
What do you mean by "you people"?

You need a Service Book to get the BlackBerry Browser, you need a data plan to get the Service Book. What's so hard to understand about that?

No offense meant. I was referring to the adamant stance everyone has to the supposed impossibility of my situation. Have no data plan, never had one, use the BlackBerry browser everyday. And I'm no expert on forum etiquette, but I think this is getting off topic. I don't mean to threadcr@<hidden> here.

OP, what BB do you have? Maybe I only think the default browser is fine because I have a newer device, and the extra hardware/memory oomph saves me from hating it.

jsconyers
02-22-2010, 11:04 AM
No offense meant. I was referring to the adamant stance everyone has to the supposed impossibility of my situation. Have no data plan, never had one, use the BlackBerry browser everyday. And I'm no expert on forum etiquette, but I think this is getting off topic. I don't mean to threadcr@<hidden> here.

OP, what BB do you have? Maybe I only think the default browser is fine because I have a newer device, and the extra hardware/memory oomph saves me from hating it.

If what you say is true, have you received your bill yet? You will be charged per kb for using data if you don't have a data plan.

Also, the OP states they have a 9700 in their first post.

CharredPC
02-22-2010, 11:13 AM
If what you say is true, have you received your bill yet? You will be charged per kb for using data if you don't have a data plan.

Yes, received a bill, and also keep track online. No data charges whatsoever, we pay about $93 per month.

Also, the OP states they have a 9700 in their first post.

Sorry, my mistake. Guess I'm lucky in multiple ways; I've never hit an error in the BB browser. Must be the websites I visit.

pvdilf40
02-22-2010, 09:53 PM

Seriously...So you are telling me that I should be happy that you didn't close the thread or ban me... for what? What did I do that encroached on BBF posting etiquette? Did I use foul language? Did I break any BBF policies in my original post?

This is my first ever post in the rant forum and the minute I post a rant I'm somehow supposed to be lucky I wasn't banned? That's the kind of attitude I've come to expect from my ex-wife but I have agree with ArgonNJ it's just bad form from a BBF Moderator.

juwaack68
02-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Oh, for gosh sakes, it was an attempt a levity. Please don't go off the deep end. Next time I try to be humorous I will add lots of smiley faces and a footnote.

I originally asked you a serious question about why you were using a BlackBerry if you hate the browser so much - which you took great offense with.

I should have taken that as a sign.

MrKyoo
02-22-2010, 11:04 PM
(n)And what's your problem?

MrKyoo
02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Seriously...So you are telling me that I should be happy that you didn't close the thread or ban me... for what? What did I do that encroached on BBF posting etiquette? Did I use foul language? Did I break any BBF policies in my original post?

This is my first ever post in the rant forum and the minute I post a rant I'm somehow supposed to be lucky I wasn't banned? That's the kind of attitude I've come to expect from my ex-wife but I have agree with ArgonNJ it's just bad form from a BBF Moderator.http://www.blackberryforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18044&stc=1&d=1266897881

ArgonNJ
02-23-2010, 12:53 AM
And what's your problem?

No problem, I didn't think the mods comment was called for. Very simply and my opinion.

mriff
02-23-2010, 07:12 AM
http://images.inmagine.com/img/imagehit/ih017/ih017078.jpg

Matt_Stevens
02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
OK, back on track here, isn't there a free browser one can add and make the default that is way better? My Storm2 was stolen, but today I am finally getting a replacement so I will want to have anew browser. No doubt BB's sucks.

monkeypaw
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
The BB browser is the worst feature of the BB for me. I have Opera and Bolt on my phone so I can access more sites. I'd rate Roxio as even worse, but I'm not a heavy media person so it's not a problem for me.

While I use the BB browser as the main browser, I often have to fall back on the others. One recent example was my bank sent me a private message through their website when I was trying to buy a house. Since I was out shopping, I tried pulling it up on BB, and while it appeared to be loading, it never did. Made the same attempt on Opera and again the same loading message, but no message after waiting. Finally on Bolt it worked. But it took probably 15 minutes of trying. I literally found a bench to sit on.

Normally I don't even attempt those kinds of websites as I know it's just a waste of time. But as I was buying a house I wanted to see the message immediately. But many times Opera is way better than Bolt or the BB browser, so I can't drop Opera.

Another thing I wish they would do is open the pipe. I mean cut RIM out of the browser data stream and let the data just flow. It would speed things up and then if the RIM network has an outage, people aren't completely out of options.

CoDudette
02-26-2010, 07:22 AM
http://www.codeodor.com/images/homer_doh.png

unclefester
03-12-2010, 05:52 PM

This is my first ever post in the rant forum and the minute I post a rant I'm somehow supposed to be lucky I wasn't banned? That's the kind of attitude I've come to expect from my ex-wife but I have agree with ArgonNJ it's just bad form from a BBF Moderator.

Don't worry. I've also noticed that the site is a bit biased. Most threads or rants pertaining to anything negative about Blackberry seem to get closed or result in the OP getting flamed. Why do they call this a rant forum again?

jsconyers
03-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Ohh, a BB forum being a bit biased for BB, you think? I guess the iPhone and Android forums aren't a bit biased, are they?

NJBlackBerry
03-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Wow....

Noodle22
03-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah it will be biased, you're talking to people who have decided on this device as the best for them. juuwack was just making an attempt at levity, there have been plenty of rants that have never been shut down, with some with ridiculous things said.

People just blow things out of proportion. This topic is already old as well.

I think we remember the "its all about the coolness and multimedia" guy.

ifonline
03-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Would someone pass the popcorn, please? And where is the cooler of beer?

juwaack68
03-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Where's Judge Judy when you need her?

hrbuckley
03-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Where's Judge Judy when you need her?

Being kewl browsing an Android forum with her iPhone.

KC Tony
03-13-2010, 01:47 PM
I too find limitations with the browser mostly in terms of navigation ease. As a result I wait until im at my desk or laptop to do the majority of my browsing. I prefer a full keyboard and a mouse for a more simplified browsing experience in comparison to the existing BB browser experience. From those in the know, will Webkit make that much of a difference to change my browsing habits and/or the OP’s opinion of the BB’s browser?

nobody7290
03-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Javascript and Flash is the dark side of the Internet. Errors like this might be related to Scripting, which is not supported very good on the BB.

With the blackberry browser set to javascript disabled + images to off you can enjoy an Ad and virus/malware free, simple and clean version of the net. Plus, the amount of data nedeed for browsing is minimal.

I hope when webkit arrives later his year, it still will be possible to get that.

However,
on my 9700 I dont get this error when searching for this term.

If this error happens, it also might be a configuration problem of the BES or the RIM proxy which is used by the Internet Browser.

TXLady
03-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Ohh, a BB forum being a bit biased for BB, you think? I guess the iPhone and Android forums aren't a bit biased, are they?
I can't speak for the iPhone but the Android are worse than BB forums. Most of the time people here will suggest you get a different phone if the BB isn't working for you or not meeting your need without taking it personally. I am so looking forward to getting my new used Tour, hopefully this week so I can get away from Android all together.

But if Internet is your main priority, I can recommend the Droid.

rjw3000
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
At this point, I think this has become nothing more than a meme that just gets repeated because it's been said for so long. The BB browser has improved considerably and is more than adequate to browse on. I think if you're looking for some full desktop multimedia/heavily scripted web page experience on it, you're just going to disappoint yourself as you will with most the mobile browsers.

TBOLTRAM
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
The Storm 2 BB browser is far, far better than one on my old 8830. I am curious if the new browser will actually be better or just different. Now for my view of reality:

1. You are dealing with a small screen size and nothing will fix that.
2. You are dealing with limited bandwidth. Sure a iPhone browser is nice, if you are on WiFi.
3. A cellphone is not a personal computer and one should realize the limitations of the device.

ArgonNJ
03-17-2010, 04:45 PM
At this point, I think this has become nothing more than a meme that just gets repeated because it's been said for so long. The BB browser has improved considerably and is more than adequate to browse on. I think if you're looking for some full desktop multimedia/heavily scripted web page experience on it, you're just going to disappoint yourself as you will with most the mobile browsers.
If you ever used the iphone browser you would think differently. Is the BB browser adequate, depends on your expectations. But having used both, the iphone browser is closer to the desktop, minus flash of course, then anything else.

SteveO86
03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
1. If you argue about the BlackBerry Browser try and do it a bit better (this pertains to your first post) Request entity too large is more or less a restriction on the BlackBerry itself.. Have you every tried receiving a 10 MB+ email or download a 20 MB attachment?

"message truncated due to size"

re:charge
03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
i think the bb browser (or the blackberry as a whole?) is a lot more dependent on strong signal than some other phones. providing you have strong data signal you can pretty much evade the slowness problem by going to "cache operations" & emptying something. ofcourse you can try other browsers (i like bolt as it patches into youtube) but bb browser is more of a browser than a multimedia browser, if you get my drift.

these are all my findings so far & i'm only comparing to s60 v5 browser. yes it has a funny way of loading pages but i don't get frustrated with it in the least, mostly because i like the way it renders pages in column view (have you seen other browsers in column view? terrible!) & the download manager in bb browser is better than that in opera mini's, [imo].

i like the way it bridges the gap between default browsers & ad-hoc browsers like opera mini. but ofcourse, i can't wait for the webkit browser (y)

smkooq
04-14-2010, 01:53 PM
never had any problems with my bb browser

pvdilf40
04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
If you ever used the iphone browser you would think differently. Is the BB browser adequate, depends on your expectations. But having used both, the iphone browser is closer to the desktop, minus flash of course, then anything else.

Apparently iPhone users don't really like thier browser either. Opera Mini is the number 1 download on all 22 Apple App Store's Opera Mini now the number one free download in all 22 App Stores -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/14/opera-mini-now-the-number-one-free-download-in-all-22-app-stores/)

Opera Mini 5 is the BEST web browser for the Blackberry as well. You can actually read web page articles and stories with out horizontal scrolling back and forth on the trackpad everytime you read a single line.

nobody7290
04-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Since we are here in the rant and raves section, my completely biased opinion after 5 minutes of Opera usage:

Opera5 sucks.
No way to disable JavaScript (or, where do I find this ?)
Cant set Browser Identity
Displays Web-Page always in Full-Page mode on the tiny BB screen, you cant read the very small letters. And, if you zoom, you are able to scroll horizontal accidentally
mouse pointer movement/sensibility is set wrong, if you scroll down the page jumps
mouse pointer has a shadow
initial start page wastes room which could be used for history and bookmarks. Instead some pictures of sites I never will visit appear.
slow startup
does not render faster then BB browser.

With the BB browser set to colum mode. 99% of the web pages are easy to read an to scroll.

I cant understand, why someone would use this.

TBOLTRAM
04-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Simple answer: Propaganda and advertising.

Complex answer: People don't know how good things are until they turn really bad.

nobody7290
04-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Yes, this is apossible explanation,

To add something more ugly things about opera:
Mouse pointer movment feels like i am drowing in mud.
No right klick on a link possible,
None of the nice shortcuts like top, bottom, page down, page up etc. etc. work with opera you can navigate with the keyboard, but the shortcuts originate from linux (e,x, s,f)
The user interface does not feel like blackberry.

if the BB would have been made by apple, you could say, opera will not pass the apple guidelines for a mac application.

Capt Jack Sparrow
04-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Since we are here in the rant and raves section, my completely biased opinion after 5 minutes of Opera usage:

Opera5 sucks.
No way to disable JavaScript (or, where do I find this ?)
Cant set Browser Identity
Displays Web-Page always in Full-Page mode on the tiny BB screen, you cant read the very small letters. And, if you zoom, you are able to scroll horizontal accidentally
mouse pointer movement/sensibility is set wrong, if you scroll down the page jumps
mouse pointer has a shadow
initial start page wastes room which could be used for history and bookmarks. Instead some pictures of sites I never will visit appear.
slow startup
does not render faster then BB browser.

With the BB browser set to colum mode. 99% of the web pages are easy to read an to scroll.

I cant understand, why someone would use this.

Yes, this is apossible explanation,

To add something more ugly things about opera:
Mouse pointer movment feels like i am drowing in mud.
No right klick on a link possible,
None of the nice shortcuts like top, bottom, page down, page up etc. etc. work with opera you can navigate with the keyboard, but the shortcuts originate from linux (e,x, s,f)
The user interface does not feel like blackberry.

if the BB would have been made by apple, you could say, opera will not pass the apple guidelines for a mac application.

Wholeheartedly agree with these 2 posts; I downloaded Opera Mini, and from that browser, downloaded Twitter....huge mistake; as mentioned, the cursor movement/speed was slow, and the Twitter interface looked nothing like, nor performed like Twitter downloaded from the Blackberry site. Battery drainage was also another issue. I deleted the Opera app, and along with it went the Twitter app, and re-downloaded Twitter from Blackberry, and Twitter now functions and looks the way it should....;-)

SteveO86
04-17-2010, 09:18 AM
That's why I've jumped ship to Bolt and stopped using Opera Mini :-)