PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Slider?

Dubdub
02-26-2010, 02:30 PM
From BoyGenius Report:

This isn’t confirmed, but with RIM rumored to be exploring sliding-QWERTY devices for a pretty long time, one of our BlackBerry connects dropped some info on us and we wanted it to share it. Here’s what we know:

* It’s a portrait-oriented slider. While most people assume a device with slideout keyboard would end up being something like HTC’s devices, we’ve been told this particular handset is more like the Palm Pre in terms of layout.
* The phone will run BlackBerry OS 6.0
* The rumored device will 100% support Wi-Fi 802.11n
* The resolution unfortunately has not improved, it is still 360×480.
* No word on if this will have a touch screen, but we’d assume so, and our source alluded to this possibly being what the rumored BlackBerry Magnum/Dakota evolved into. Not saying there won’t be a Bold-like device with touchscreen, optical trackpad, and physical keyboard, but this might be released first.
* If it does have a touch screen, this could in fact be the mythical BlackBerry Storm slider — picture a Storm 9520 with a slide up Bold-esque keyboard.
* The phone will not be a Verizon exclusive — it’s supposed to be a GSM/HSPA device.

That’s all we’ve got for now, folks. What are you thinking? Does this remotely interest you, or could you care less about the hardware at this point and just hope that RIM can make some pretty big strides as far as their OS is concerned?

Details on RIM’s new BlackBerry slider? « Boy Genius Report (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/02/26/details-on-rims-new-blackberry-slider/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28Boy+Genius+Report%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

TXLady
02-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Interesting. If the Storm II had a keypad, I probably would have kept it. But since I've switched to Verizon from TMO, then now I'd have to switch back to TMO or AT&T......probably not going to do that but this is an interesting concept. Would be interested in actual execution.

Dubdub
02-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Since this is still at the rumor stage, we have to wait and see.

jnyost
02-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Interesting. Can't wait to see more.

akosnitzky
02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
My concern will be the quality of the frame.

AKB
02-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Sounds very interesting. But hope RIM keeps an option for camera-less WIFI, 3G model too. I'm in a place where the security guards faint like women from old British movies, on seeing a Cam Blackberry. So stuck with an old 8820 (I like to have WIFI better than 3G, so far) but love 3G too, a stylish slider would be good, very good.

skeevecr
02-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Sounds very interesting. But hope RIM keeps an option for camera-less WIFI, 3G model too. I'm in a place where the security guards faint like women from old British movies, on seeing a Cam Blackberry. So stuck with an old 8820 (I like to have WIFI better than 3G, so far) but love 3G too, a stylish slider would be good, very good.

There's always the option of the 9000 without a camera.

ubizmo
02-28-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd be very interested in this. There are only so many ways to do a physical keyboard with a large touch screen. The keyboards on the 8900 and 9700 are well liked, so it seems like a good move to keep what people like, and try to give them what they want: a decent sized touch screen, and eventually improved web browsing experience.

Ubizmo

duane534
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd prefer it be a landscape keyboard, but I'd bet they are trying to NOT do screen rotations and having to re-organize all your on-screen content any time you hit the physical keyboard.

SteveO86
03-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I gotta say, after RIM gave the the Pearl flip the cold shoulder and the quick ascension of the Storm2 (and Tour2/Bold2) I must say I will be a bit skeptical of this phone.. but I suppose they may have learned from their mistakes.. right?

Noodle22
03-01-2010, 11:38 PM
I personally don't like the idea of it. The photo looks weird. I've seen some Storms firsthand, but have not tried them, but they look like beautiful phones. I am not a big fan of sliders, but I wouldn't mind seeing a BlackBerry with a horizontal slide instead of like in that photo. I think it would reach out to more consumers.

I like that about BlackBerry, there are so many different kinds and types to suit specific needs :)

nb_mitch
03-02-2010, 12:24 AM
I really would like a horizontal slider, not sure about this format. My next device will be coming around May when my contract is up. I have been looking at Andriods, Iphone 4G along with BB. Being on a BB for the last 5 years, I like the device, but just want a bigger screen & slider, 3G 7.2 & Wi-Fi.

Will continue to watch all the players before picking my next device.

TXLady
03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
I personally don't like the idea of it. The photo looks weird.

Probably because it's photoshopped and not a photo of an actual device. Notice "Image for illustrative purposes only" at the end of the article. So no one knows what it will really look like yet.

Noodle22
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
That's what I thought, because it looked so blurry. I guess the concept looks weird. I obviouslly can't make a decision on how I feel until an actual device is presented.

ArgonNJ
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Portrait slider = FAIL
Who wants to type on a cramped tiny keyboard like the Palm Pre has. If true, once again RIM is trying duplicate their tried and true form factor and feel with new technologies. First they tried to make a touch screen click and now a portait slider. There is reason why most sliders are landscape. Wide confortable keyboard(usually). Quit trying to reinvent the wheel RIM, you aren't any good at it. If you are going the slider route then stick with what works.

TXLady
03-02-2010, 01:59 PM
That's what I thought, because it looked so blurry. I guess the concept looks weird. I obviouslly can't make a decision on how I feel until an actual device is presented.

Agree. Not sure how it will be until I can actually hold one in my hand.

TXLady
03-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Slightly better than the previous photos. Claim to be live images. I don't think it looks too bad.
First Live Images of a BlackBerry Slider; Could This be the Storm3? - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews (http://www.bbleaks.com/2010/03/first-live-images-of-blackberry-slider_02.html)

ARGHH! I want to come back to BB but don't want to wait forever and don't want to spend money on a Tour when Tour2 is coming out but if this is going to be soon, maybe I'll go ahead and find a Tour on ebay so I can get this one.

ubizmo
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Slightly better than the previous photos. Claim to be live images. I don't think it looks too bad.
First Live Images of a BlackBerry Slider; Could This be the Storm3? - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews (http://www.bbleaks.com/2010/03/first-live-images-of-blackberry-slider_02.html)

ARGHH! I want to come back to BB but don't want to wait forever and don't want to spend money on a Tour when Tour2 is coming out but if this is going to be soon, maybe I'll go ahead and find a Tour on ebay so I can get this one.

Good find! I hope this is the real deal...and I hope T-Mobile gets it, although I think that's a long shot. I would like that keyboard-screen combo a lot.

Ubizmo

Noodle22
03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would! I wonder if this will be the real deal? I like the option of a trackpad and touchscreen.

With the keyboard out, it still looks long and bulky to me, just a bit, but who knows how it would feel first hand.

ubizmo
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
With the keyboard out, it still looks long and bulky to me, just a bit, but who knows how it would feel first hand.

It is long, no doubt about it. And it has to be bulkier than phones without keyboards, although it needn't be too bad. Having the slider keyboard in portrait orientation will allow people to use it with one hand, which seems to be something that many BB users are keen on.

Ubizmo

Raptor464
03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Its also going to be in the Bold line of devices. BlackBerry 9700a to be exact

jsconyers
03-03-2010, 02:33 PM
That's a terrible name.

It's only going to confuse users trying to upgrade their OS. They'll download the 9700 OS not knowing they need the 9700a and so on. And I don't even want to think of them coming here for answer, being confused and confusing the rest of us with their confusion. I am already confused just thinking about it :?

Noodle22
03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
It's bad enough with all the different curves, and the fact that half the users don't know the difference between them, or what one they have.

9700a :-( Boo on the marketing team.

Raptor464
03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm sorry to say...but the 9700a does exist. Just like the 9650, 8910, and 9100.

ArgonNJ
03-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Put this device in the same failed design category as the flip BB. How about giving us a Storm on any other network besides Verizon.

Shaolin
03-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Going by the pictures, I hope the keyboard will be about the size between the Bold and the Curve. The phone kind of looks ugly, but then again the pics are not very detailed.

I'll wait for the specs and features before I decide any further if I should wait for it.

I don't see why didn't they make it a landscape slider? Wouldn't it make more sense because not everyone's hands are the same size? But I guess the if people can type on a Curve keyboard or a Bold keyboard, then it's really not that big of a deal. But then the layout comes into question since it'll probably be easier to read under landscape mode.

Shaolin
03-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Some more pictures just showed up on BBleaks.. it says it lacks SurePress which I'm kind of disappointed about since I would love to see a Storm2/Bold hybrid kind of phone. The only problem with my Bold is the screen is too small, so if the specs turn out good for this rumored slider, I'll be looking forward to picking one up.

That of course, is under the assumption that RIM will get their act together and bring out the new browser, better OS, etc.

BallHawk3
03-04-2010, 03:56 AM
I hate touchscreens. Their more of the novelty factor to me.

However, surepress is a GREAT idea. I love that about the storm. I've stated before, if all physical keyboards got destroyed in the universe, I would have no issues at all if they stuck me on the storm and surepress.

I'm very happy with my 9700. Would I need a slider BB? Never been into slider devices, I need quick and easy access to the keyboard, after all, that's why the blackberry has been that way, life on the go.

The slider touch lacking surepress is kind of disappointing, although I do feel it would satisfy a certain market. The portrait keyboard also makes sense, because blackberry has always focused on on ergonomics and ease of typing (really, are there any good landscape keyboards out there? They feel so unnatural. That screen real estate on the slider does look pretty nice though.

As for what is this phone going to be? Storm? Bold? Well, I think it should be it's own new line. The blackberry slide or something. To throw it in with the Bold?!? Maybe if they had a bold touch, which would be the bold with a touch screen (think treo-esque) I can agree with that, but to dilute the blackberry blood lines.

Each line has always meant and served a different purpose. They really need to stop throwing it all under one name.

the-economist
03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
If you gonna have a phone almost double in thickness to accommodate a slider keyboard AT LEAST put it in landscape so maybe just maybe someone would actually want to type on it.

J
03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm starting to feel as though RIM needs to focus LESS on new models of actual phones but bust their tails on being able to provide a browser and app's that are more seamless & troublesome to go along with their already amazing services.

Seems as though most folks would prefer to see and hear this stuff being confirmed. Frankly, I don't see how it's so hard for the company to move their browser light years ahead by now.....in contrast to where it is now.

ubizmo
03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
It seems to me that any phone that expands in some way--be it a slider, Sidekick swivel, or whatever--loses whatever sleekness it might have had and becomes somewhat awkward when opened up. The portrait orientation has the advantage of letting the BB use a keyboard that is "proven"--liked by many. It will allow those people who like one-handed operation to have it. For many purposes other than text entry, touch screens are great.

But it will also be very important for the hardware to feel solid and not...rattly!

Ubizmo

Elito
03-10-2010, 04:23 PM
As much as I would like to see RIM come out with a slider blackberry, I don't think this is a product from RIM. the pictures i saw show something that looks obsolete and, I think, not eve RIM would design such a product after seeing all the beauties on the market. And I am wondering how those people got a blackberry model that is not even mentioned by RIM yet to sit on what looks like an old kitchen table and to appear like a used old phone? I don't know what this thing is but IT IS NOT A RIM BLACKBERRY SLIDER. This must be the third different picture that has been rumored to be the blackberry slider/storm 3. I'd rather wait for the official picture if ever there is one.

TXLady
03-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Found more pics on Boy Genius that for some reason we didn't link to yet. These show a more close up view and also a picture of the closed phone next to an 8900 for comparison. I'm still thinking it looks pretty good.

More BlackBerry Slider images « Boy Genius Report (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/03/03/more-blackberry-slider-images/)

Noodle22
03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I have to say it's growing on me, not sure if I would get it though. I would probably rarely use the keyboard, or just for times I need to type quickly on the go.

TXLady
03-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I really do want to see it live. I tried the Storm II and just did not like the keypad on it so maybe with the addition of the keyboard, I will like it. I did find during my brief affair with the Droid that I actually do like touch screen, just not the Storm's.

skeevecr
03-12-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm sorry to say...but the 9700a does exist. Just like the 9650, 8910, and 9100.

If you look at a lot of these leaks you would see that version numbers change before a device finally ships e.g. the bold 9700 originally leaked as the 9020, so the 9700a is probably just a temporary number until they decide on the final one.

skeevecr
03-12-2010, 11:36 PM
If you gonna have a phone almost double in thickness to accommodate a slider keyboard AT LEAST put it in landscape so maybe just maybe someone would actually want to type on it.

Why would somebody be more likely to use a landscape one, with a vertical slider you have the obvious advantage that it is usable with both one or two hands whereas you can only use a landscape one with two hands.

TXLady
03-13-2010, 08:57 AM
More leaked photos on BGR.
Yet another round of BlackBerry slider pics « Boy Genius Report (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/03/13/yet-another-round-of-blackberry-slider-pics/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28Boy+Genius+Report%29)

These photos show side views including one next to 8900 to gauge the thickness of the slider.

ArgonNJ
03-13-2010, 04:10 PM
BGR is now saying this device is heading to Sprint first. They also said during testing it failed 4 out of 5 times. Sounds like another Storm 1 debacle waiting to happen. I would steer clear of this device in its first outing.

TXLady
03-13-2010, 04:45 PM
BGR is now saying this device is heading to Sprint first. They also said during testing it failed 4 out of 5 times. Sounds like another Storm 1 debacle waiting to happen. I would steer clear of this device in its first outing.

Link to article: BlackBerry 9900/9930 slider hitting Sprint? « Boy Genius Report (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/03/13/blackberry-99009930-slider-hitting-sprint/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBoyGeniusReport+%28Boy+Genius+Report%29)

Same article says that there will also be a GSM/HSPA version (compatible with AT&T and Rogers) and model numbers will be 9900 and 9930.

ubizmo
03-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I find it very strange that people complain that the portrait-oriented keyboard will be too small to type on, when all current BB physical keyboards are portrait-oriented, and people type on them just fine. It's as if having the screen slide up to reveal the keyboard somehow shrinks it.

Ubizmo

skeevecr
03-15-2010, 04:14 AM

Firstly, BGR is a rumor site that seems to make up at least as much as they get actual leaks and secondly what fails 4 out of 5 times because without more info than that, even if it isn't made up, it is idiotic to draw any conclusions from that phrase.

You can vaguely trust them to show you blurry pics of new hardware, but beyond that treat the site as little more than a work of fiction as trying to use them to prove your own bias just makes you seem to eager to put the boot in.

ArgonNJ
03-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Firstly, BGR is a rumor site that seems to make up at least as much as they get actual leaks and secondly what fails 4 out of 5 times because without more info than that, even if it isn't made up, it is idiotic to draw any conclusions from that phrase.

You can vaguely trust them to show you blurry pics of new hardware, but beyond that treat the site as little more than a work of fiction as trying to use them to prove your own bias just makes you seem to eager to put the boot in.
So says you!

fletch
03-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Good stuff. Can't wait to hear more...

TXLady
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Latest on Crackberry: BlackBerry Slider Rumormill Continues: Final Device Model Numbers to Be 9900/9930? 9930 a Sprint Exclusive? | CrackBerry.com (http://crackberry.com/blackberry-slider-rumormill-continues-final-device-model-numbers-be-9900-9930-9930-sprint-exclusive)

Not sure there is anything really new there. Pretty much just a summary. Model number 9900/9930 with the 9930 a Sprint exclusive.

Dubdub
03-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Slider Update:

Hang with us for a sec as we conjure up a speculative device from a sordid collection of rumors. By now we've all seen the leaked BlackBerry slider right? How about the "Mr. T" phone, heard of that? Maybe you've heard of it by its other codename of Talladega? The connection here is that all of these devices are thought to be one and the same although that's definitely not confirmed by any stretch.

Things got a bit more interesting today after a loose-lipped CEO of a RIM parts supplier (Woojeon & Handan) mentioned a brand new BlackBerry "T" phone launching next month during an interview posted on joins.com (a popular Korean news site). According to our translation or the Korean jibba jabba:

"The Canadian company RIM famous for BlackBerry smartphones is releasing a new model next month. Known as the "T," The new model is an ambitious product aimed at competing against iPhone's storm of success. Rim will present it ("T") as its flagship model to compete in global markets such as the U.S. and Europe."

Funny, we thought that the original Storm was RIM's answer to the iPhone. Anywho, Reuters picked up on the Woojeon & Handan interview today but shied away from mentioning the name or the "next month" timing, saying only that W&H would supply parts for a new RIM product to be released later this year. With any luck, we'll get a full reveal of the mythical BB slider next week with the kickoff of the big CTIA show.

Raptor464
03-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Sorry guys... I was wrong about the 9700a model number. That's a different device.

Shaolin
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I hope they announce some news for the slider at CTIA or WES.. It would be nice if it came with the webkit browser!

Now that the Nexus One is available for Canada and rumors flying for IPhone 4, for once I don't know if my next phone will be a Blackberry!

madasafish
03-18-2010, 10:37 PM
I hope they announce some news for the slider at CTIA or WES.. It would be nice if it came with the webkit browser!

Now that the Nexus One is available for Canada and rumors flying for IPhone 4, for once I don't know if my next phone will be a Blackberry!

The web kit browser would be nice on its own!!!

TallPaul86
03-19-2010, 06:24 PM
I like the idea of a BlackBerry Slider although there are a few doubts about it: -

Touchscreen isn't SurePress (which will inevitably spark iPhone/Pre fanboy comparisons) along with the potential of the BlackBerry keyboard being hindered in the same way that the Pre's keyboard was - in other words a half decent keyboard hampered by it being to recessed and awkward to type on...

What they should've done was elongated the Bold keyboard for landscape type slider - dear god that would be AMAZING...

I just hope i'm proved wrong like my current Storm 2 proved me wrong when i had doubts about using it as my main daily device...

DZD
03-21-2010, 12:33 AM
I wonder if it will offer a landscape keyboard on the screen?

neile457
03-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Man, I might come back for this. I switched from a Curve to my Pre, and have been thinking of coming back, but I like the Pre's feel, and layout. But this looks pretty cool, other than it is a little big....

raynicolini
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I hate touchscreens. Their more of the novelty factor to me.

However, surepress is a GREAT idea. I love that about the storm. I've stated before, if all physical keyboards got destroyed in the universe, I would have no issues at all if they stuck me on the storm and surepress.

I'm very happy with my 9700. Would I need a slider BB? Never been into slider devices, I need quick and easy access to the keyboard, after all, that's why the blackberry has been that way, life on the go.

The slider touch lacking surepress is kind of disappointing, although I do feel it would satisfy a certain market. The portrait keyboard also makes sense, because blackberry has always focused on on ergonomics and ease of typing (really, are there any good landscape keyboards out there? They feel so unnatural. That screen real estate on the slider does look pretty nice though.

As for what is this phone going to be? Storm? Bold? Well, I think it should be it's own new line. The blackberry slide or something. To throw it in with the Bold?!? Maybe if they had a bold touch, which would be the bold with a touch screen (think treo-esque) I can agree with that, but to dilute the blackberry blood lines.

Each line has always meant and served a different purpose. They really need to stop throwing it all under one name.

I still think that it should be called Blackberry Thunder 9820 Slider 3G, but who am I kidding, if the device exists then the name already exists

SergBB
03-27-2010, 08:28 AM
How come nobody has wondered why there is a trackpad there when the phone is touchscreen? Dont you find it odd and rather idiotic to place a trackpad when you use the screen to move around? It is the same critics the Nexus One from Google is getting, why place a trackball there when it is completely useless for the phone and it is more likely to get damaged or stuck (as our old trackballs on the bbs). For example the Storm 2 has no trackball/trackpad at all, and it is a touchscreen...I find it pointless on this one.

I am still not convinced with the design. Albeit I'd like the bigger screen and a nice physical keyboard (as I at least cant stand a non-feedback keyboard), the screen bezel looks huge, like a big waste of space. Not to mention it would be a gigantic phone when typing. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the extra real-estate but geez, it looks humongous! Closed it is as big as the 8900...opened should be 40%-50% larger!!

Im over criticizing this phone...but considering how the Evo 4G, the Nexus One and the HD2 look so nice physically, I find this one to be a rather odd mixture...still I want to test it and see how it goes...:)

Noodle22
03-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I like the option of using the trackpad instead of the screen. Reason why, is I may want a bigger screen, but I don't really like to use the touchscreen. Some people want that option.

Wuzzer
03-29-2010, 06:29 AM
I like the option of using the trackpad instead of the screen. Reason why, is I may want a bigger screen, but I don't really like to use the touchscreen. Some people want that option.

Agreed. When I use a touchscreen, it is noticeably less accurate than when I am using a trackpad to navigate a screen or when editing text within a field.

KissesFromKimmy
03-29-2010, 10:31 AM
i hope this makes its way to verizon.. it looks amazing but from what i hear it's only gsm! Boo!!!!

jsconyers
03-29-2010, 10:40 AM
i hope this makes its way to verizon.. it looks amazing but from what i hear it's only gsm! Boo!!!!

I believe you heard wrong. From what I am hearing is that there's going to be a CDMA version as well as a GSM version. Just like with the Storm.

Sprint is trying to make this an exclusive, kind of like how Verizon made the Storm an exclusive device.

brownkc
03-29-2010, 03:01 PM
The T references make me wonder if they might try a keyboard or screen that pivots 90 degrees. This would keep a more compact keyboard like they have perfected over the years but give the user a landscape screen to look out. The best of both worlds.

I picture it with a pivoting screen that would turn 90 degrees and slide upward.