PDA

View Full Version : BES Monitoring - can I monitor a "foreign" server?

nobody7290
02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Now, that I sucessfully setup my Monitoring Server on my very small scale BES5 with 5 Users (which really dont need monitoring anyway),

I thought, I now could add some of the Servers I administer to the monitoring server.
However, it turns out, that you can only monitor Servers in your own Exchange organisation and not other BES running in a different Organisation.

Is that true - or, is there a workaround ?

Otherwise I would have to setup nagios or similar, But using the RIM Application would be easier.

thanks.

noname
02-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Extracted from the Installation Guide for BES 5.0 SP1 (page 9):

Installing the BlackBerry Monitoring Service

The BlackBerry® Monitoring Service monitors BlackBerry® Enterprise Server component activity, and, if configured, sends notification messages to administrators.

You can install only one BlackBerry Monitoring Service in each BlackBerry Domain in your organization's environment. The BlackBerry Monitoring Service stores its data in its own database. The BlackBerry Monitoring Service can monitor all BlackBerry Enterprise Server instances in your organization's environment including remote BlackBerry Enterprise Server instances and components.

You can install the BlackBerry Monitoring Service database on the computer that hosts the BlackBerry Monitoring Service, on the database server that hosts the BlackBerry Configuration Database, or on another database server.

You can install the BlackBerry Monitoring Service database on a database server that does not host the BlackBerry Configuration Database if you want the BlackBerry Monitoring Service database to be available when the BlackBerry Configuration Database is unavailable, if your organization's system resources are limited, or if you want to run reports frequently.