PDA

View Full Version : Unable to open any files in word to go

ippy
02-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a new 8520, my first blackberry. I am unable to open any documents from the word to go suite. I've loaded PDF's word doc's etc. When I go to Open a file.. I get the following confusing message. "The application Word to go has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your your IT policy.
Permission to your files was denied. Please configure your application permissions appropriately."
Incidentally when I try in the XLS op, and press the Open a file... link, the folder it comes up with is "Device Memory"
Perhaps its looking in the wrong place but I'm unsure how to edit the locations.

Can anyone help please?

Motorcycle Mama
02-28-2010, 03:52 PM
First of all, Word To Go cannot open PDF files.

Secondly, are you on a BES? Does the device have an IT policy?

Thirdly, where are the files located? On your media card? In your Device Memory? Somewhere else?

ippy
02-28-2010, 04:54 PM
As far as I know I'm not on a BES, I just use it for personal use at home only.
When I connect the blackberry to the pc, under my computer it comes up as Blackberry (F:) I assumed this is the micro usb card, not the internal memory. Anyway 1.83gb is the size, so I assume thats the 2gb card installed.

Motorcycle Mama
02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Ok. Did you purchase the device brand new? Or used?

Also, detail the steps that you are using to 1) load the files to the Media Card and 2) to open the files on the BlackBerry device.

ippy
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Okay, I bought the device brand new from the Orange network.
I took the media card out and opened it on the computer to confirm the files were actually there. They were.
I then did a battery pull and restatred the thing. I then went to DatViz site and found a update and installed it. I then decided to go for the version 2 trial with the pdf reader and installed that to.
So on to where I am now.
from the home screen i go to applications, then press the scroll key on Word to go.
I now get the following prompts
Browse desktop files
Open a file
Create a new file
_---------------
recent documents

I click on Open a file and get the following
The Application word to go has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewallwhich is not allowed by your IT policy.

I then press ok and get a white screen.
Incidentally when I go to Sheet to go I get the same menu and when I open a file, I get the following
/media card/Blackberry/Documents/
a folder called UP
and 2 of the xls files on the card. And they both open fine.

ippy
03-01-2010, 08:44 AM
I seem to have got to the bottom of the problem.
After comparing mine to a colleague at work we discovered it was the firewall causing the problem.
On mine it was enabled and his was dissabled. after dissabling the firewall everything worked fine.
So, my only other question is what should I do with the firewall to best protect my device and allow things to work smoothly....

rambo47
03-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I just leave mine disabled. It just seems to me that BlackBerry security plus a modicum of common sense is quite enough security. Using the firewall raises that level from merely paranoid to "tinfoil hat". But that's just me.

Corporations, with their mania for data security, often choose to enact an IT Policy that will invoke the firewall. But for a simple BIS user like me, with no critical data on my device, it's more trouble than it's worth.

ippy
03-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for that, I will go with the flow.....