PDA

View Full Version : I Need a New Blackberry

memetic
03-08-2010, 01:37 PM
My BB Pearl died a few days ago and I am trying to figure out which BB I should get to replace it. I know I don't want another Pearl. In fact, I would prefer no rolling ball at all (edit: but will still get with -- not a deal breaker). What I use most (besides the contacts) is the calendar, alarm clock, and light messaging (texting, email, etc). I really need to be able to sync my contacts and calendar with Outlook -- very important.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I prefer to spend $100 and not much more. I have seen some decent looking BBs for $100 and under, but I don't know what they are like to use (I can obviously read about the specs, functionality, etc). But, using one can tell you a lot more about it than just reading about it. So, I am hoping someone with a lot of BBs under their belt can help me out.

Thank you very much.

rambo47
03-08-2010, 03:56 PM
BlackBerry Curve 8520 would be my pick. You might be able to find an 8900 even cheaper since T-Mobile is no longer selling that model on their site. They all will sync beautifully with Outlook. The Bold 9700 is the king of the hill, but that may bust your budget.

memetic
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
BlackBerry Curve 8520 would be my pick. You might be able to find an 8900 even cheaper since T-Mobile is no longer selling that model on their site. They all will sync beautifully with Outlook. The Bold 9700 is the king of the hill, but that may bust your budget.

That's funny, I narrowed my search down to that one just a couple hours ago. I can get it from Tmob for about $150. I just don't want to renew my contract again. I'll have to spend about $200 not to do that. I go through phones too quickly to justify anything over $200 (in my opinion).

Anyway, I like that it doesn't have a deodorant roller anymore. The idea was ok, but it was not practical for me as an architect because I am either at construction sites, or around models, dust, woodworking, hobbies, etc. How does the new whatever it's called work? Is it painless?

Sytner
03-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (8520 (5.0.0.411))

The trackpad; this is one of the best innovations to the BlackBerry. Your finger effortly glides over it and there's no moving parts to wear out or break. Never needs cleaning either.

rambo47
03-09-2010, 08:26 AM
The trackpad is a HUGE step up. I still miss my old-school thumbwheel, but everyone here says I'm crazy anyway. I was very worried about the new technology involved with this trackpad. RIM's reputation fort stone cold quality has recently taken a few hits. The trackball on the Tour 9630 was a disaster that I experienced first-hand. So when they announced the new technology they were introducing - the trackpad - I was worried it was another disaster in the making. Fortunately I was dead wrong. The trackpad rocks, hard!

Raptor464
03-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Get a Hot97...its worth every penny!

mvincelli
03-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi Rambo47, I also miss the old school Track Wheel, One hand operation was so smooth and never had a problem with it. My 8900, I am spraying QD Electric contact cleaning spray about every other day to get the trackball to unstick to the right side. The 9700 is too much for me presently as a $370.00 upgrade with T-Mobile, So I will keep the QD electric contact spray close, one in the car and one in the house, it works for me.

memetic
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi Rambo47, I also miss the old school Track Wheel, One hand operation was so smooth and never had a problem with it. My 8900, I am spraying QD Electric contact cleaning spray about every other day to get the trackball to unstick to the right side. The 9700 is too much for me presently as a $370.00 upgrade with T-Mobile, So I will keep the QD electric contact spray close, one in the car and one in the house, it works for me.

I think that is the fate mine suffered (or I suffered I should say). It eventually started running through all of the menus and calling people and texting and... all on it own, based on previous pressure applied to the roll-on (actually all actions the roll-on was capable of). I would sit at work and just watch the phone go crazy for 10 minutes (or more) and there was nothing I could do except shut it off or pull the battery. It started calling and texting people that I absolutely did not want contact with one day when I was in a bad mood. Needless to say, it is now available for parts (well minus a screen and body, and of course the roll-on (which suffered the worst fate in my hands - er, I mean foot).

I just picked up an unlocked Nokia E70 on ebay for a decent price (I think I can resell for a few bucks if I have to). If it doesn't work out, I will go for the BB discussed earlier. I have had a crush on the E70 since I saw it on "the best page in the universe" it was hilarious put up against the iPhone:

The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face. (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone)

If you haven't read it you should. It is pretty funny.

Thanks all.

edit: I can't change the name of the link above. That is the name of the article, it is not my fault. It is not my intention to start any flame war about the iphone. It is just a comedy piece/article/blog. Sorry. It is funny though.

rambo47
03-09-2010, 05:09 PM
I think that is the fate mine suffered (or I suffered I should say). It eventually started running through all of the menus and calling people and texting and... all on it own, based on previous pressure applied to the roll-on (actually all actions the roll-on was capable of). I would sit at work and just watch the phone go crazy for 10 minutes (or more) and there was nothing I could do except shut it off or pull the battery. It started calling and texting people that I absolutely did not want contact with one day when I was in a bad mood. Needless to say, it is now available for parts (well minus a screen and body, and of course the roll-on (which suffered the worst fate in my hands - er, I mean foot).

I just picked up an unlocked Nokia E70 on ebay for a decent price (I think I can resell for a few bucks if I have to). If it doesn't work out, I will go for the BB discussed earlier. I have had a crush on the E70 since I saw it on "the best page in the universe" it was hilarious put up against the iPhone:

The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face. (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone)

If you haven't read it you should. It is pretty funny.

Thanks all.

edit: I can't change the name of the link above. That is the name of the article, it is not my fault. It is not my intention to start any flame war about the iphone. It is just a comedy piece/article/blog. Sorry. It is funny though.

That is one of the funniest sites ever. Man, has that guy got a hard-on for the iPhone or what?! He's an extreme Nokia fanboy, but the anti-Apple rant is still a classic. "Double negative, biatches!" I love that line. :smile:

I'm a former Nokia user and I still have a soft spot for them. Great phones, especially the E-series devices. I found I was trying to make mine act more and more like a BlackBerry, so the obvious thing to do was to simply get a BlackBerry. Nokia Messaging is fair to poor, and once messaging became my number 1 priority the choice was easy.

I really thought the Ovi concept would have taken off by now. Looks like they missed the boat though. Now they're behind and struggling to play catch up, and failing.

One of my all-time favorite BlackBerrys was the 7105t. Loved the form factor, the screen, and of course the thumbwheel. Even though I'm on Sprint now and the 7105t is useless to me, I keep it around for nostalgia. I use it with a pre-paid SIM card just for a second phone line - no data. I just can't bear to part with it.

memetic
03-09-2010, 07:53 PM
"I really thought the Ovi concept would have taken off by now. Looks like they missed the boat though. Now they're behind and struggling to play catch up, and failing."

Yeah, you don't have to tell me. I dumped those stocks long ago. They had such potential. I am sure the right people know what happened over there. Hopefully, they can get the right people to bring them back. Competition is good.

As far as BB, my first was the Pearl and I loved everything except the roll-on. I am sure the trackpad will solve all my problems (which honestly was just that --the roll-on -- and, somehow I can forgive them because the rest of the phone was sweet!)