PDA

View Full Version : Display Dust Macro Photos

MegaBit
12-20-2005, 10:41 PM
These images were taken to illustrate the dust under an 8700c screen using a Canon 20D digital SLR and a Canon EF-S 60mm marco lens. The display was side-lit using white LEDs to produce the highest contrast.

Some things to note:

1) This unit was treated with care from day one to prevent dust from entering the casing- e.g. only in the plastic holster, no compressed air duster, no dirty environments. It was babied.

2) Only about 3 of the larger dust particles are visible with the naked eye. The magnification and lighting reveal there is significantly more dirt inside the unit.

3) The scratches were noted on day one when I looked at the display in sunshine. Using a white LED light really highlights the mess. It appears there was dirt or a finger print inside the display that was attempted to be cleaned before final assembly. It left a mess.

4) Under normal viewing and with the display backlight on at 50%, the display looks great and you may never know this problem is building under the surface.

5) More and more dirt and a film have appeared over the month that I have been using it.

Prepare yourself--

http://www.millenniastudio.com/RIM-8700c.html

luckiweeman
12-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Dude, that looks pretty busted. When I started hearing about the dust problem I really didn't think it was that bad. Funny thing is that I still don't have a single speck of dust on my unit. I keep it in a pouch and I have a WriteRight screen protector on it. I guess that keeps it pretty clean.

MegaBit
12-20-2005, 11:10 PM
When viewed with the naked eye and a bit of prespyopia (eyes over the age of 40...), it doesn't look nearly as bad as the side-lit macro shots. However, that dirt is in there and I suspect under the right lighting and magnification, they all have something similar to this.

I've pulled the page for now but hope to make it widely available very soon.

MegaBit
12-21-2005, 06:31 PM
The Images have been re-posted. See first message.

celcius
12-22-2005, 03:53 AM
How about some pics of the pretty large gap in the side of the unit. I suspect this is how the dust is mostly getting into the unit. If I have my backlight on and I turn it to the side I could see the backlight pretty clearly through the gaps on both sides.

justin.culp
12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Dust gets in just about everywhere on these devices. The ones that have me the most concerned are the track wheel and the convenience buttons.