PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry router in DMZ - security question

Flo_ACC
03-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi all,

I used the search button to find something interesting in the forum but i didn't find what i want. :cry:

so here is my need : I have a BlackBerry router in a DMZ and we would like to secure the access to the SQL database located on our network.

i really suck in SQL stuff i'm getting better in Blackberry ^^ but on this one i can't see how i can secure the SQL connection between my BB Router and the database.

i saw that the SQL connection was necessary for the installation, then the database wasn't needed can someone confirm me this ?

Thx by advance :smile:

Flo_ACC
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
any suggestion ?

fermanagh
03-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Can you explain what you mean by secure? btw, your BES will always need a constant connection to the besmgmt db.

knottyrope
03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Database is only needed for installing it.

snip
Security

A remote BlackBerry Router might enable further security options because the BlackBerry Router does not have encryption keys and therefore does not compromise the security of the BlackBerry Infrastructure if the BlackBerry Router itself is compromised. However, implementing the BlackBerry Router in the DMZ does not necessarily increase security.

read more
Livelink - Redirection (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/7979/1181821/828044/1181292/Placing_the_BlackBerry_Router_in_the_DMZ.pdf?nodeid=1287333&vernum=0)

noname
03-24-2010, 09:33 AM
@<hidden>, they really screwed up in 5.0 Gold Release when the installation of a remote Router requires the connection to the SQL database to complete it. Does it still happen for 5.0 SP1 as well? I know I could test it out, but just trying my luck if you've got the answer already... Can advise?

BTW, for others benefits... The BlackBerry Router does not need a connection to the SQL server while in operation.

knottyrope
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
I wont be trying anytime soon and have yet to play with SP1.

I think it needs the DB to get encryption keys, not sure if there is a work around in SP1.

Flo_ACC
03-24-2010, 10:27 AM
HI all

Thx for your answers ... in fact we stopped the SQL connexion between our BES and our BBR :smile: and everything work perfectly .... i guess

lion777
06-03-2010, 01:55 AM
can some body tell which account should be used for BB Router installtion and configuration at DMZ??

Cheers!!