PDA

View Full Version : How do you search "nickname" in BB Contacts

jiskandarshah
03-22-2010, 04:12 AM
Hi all,

Anyone knows how to search nickname in Blackberry Contacts? I normally write a person's full name in the First and Last name field and nickname is the Nickname field but sometimes you just remember a person by their nickname.

1) Can Blackberry search for a nickname?
2) Can the nickname appear for incoming calls?
3) How do you sync the nickname field in blackberry with the nickname field in Entourage?

Motorcycle Mama
03-22-2010, 05:58 AM
1. Yes. Either in the Contacts list or from the main Search application.
2. No
3. No idea.

jiskandarshah
03-22-2010, 08:25 AM
I can't search the nickname from both the contact list and the main search application. Nickname doesn't appear.

JSanders
03-22-2010, 09:12 AM
In your BlackBerry Desktop Manager > Sync > Configure, find the field mapping area and create a field for "Nickname" or use the UserField1 for that.

Motorcycle Mama
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I can't search the nickname from both the contact list and the main search application. Nickname doesn't appear.
Hmmm ... well I tested it on my Tour before I posted.

I entered a name in the Nickname field for a contact and saved it. And when I typed in a few letters of that contact in the "Find" box, the contact with that nickname immediately came up.

TXLady
03-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Is it possibly related to either OS version or BES?

I just checked and as MM says above, on my personal Tour (on BIS, running 5.0.0.419), it has the nickname field under contacts and when I added a nickname there, I was able to search on it. However, my work Tour (on BES, running 4.7.1.40), the nickname field if missing from Contacts. Don't know if it's because of BES or OS -- my guess is OS.

jiskandarshah
03-22-2010, 10:42 PM
TXLady, I am using Blackberry 9700 running on Platform 5.1.0.121. My company just got is for me and because I have to switch from my personal line to company line, at the moment it is neither in BIS nor BES. I am still using my old sim card which I can only do phone calls.

MM, I tried with few of my Contacts that I saved with nicknames and both method do not work.

JSanders, I couldn't find the menu that you mentioned. Could it be because I am using Mac?

Ketchums
05-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Hmmm ... well I tested it on my Tour before I posted.

I entered a name in the Nickname field for a contact and saved it. And when I typed in a few letters of that contact in the "Find" box, the contact with that nickname immediately came up.

lol this is super annoying, because that doesn't work for me at all.

Ketchums
05-11-2010, 11:38 PM
OK...now it's weird.

I tried to see what would happen if I entered a new contact. For one, it worked fine. For another, it didn't work at all. smh

aiharkness
05-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Wirelessly posted

jiskandarshah and Ketchums, did either of you try a battery pull?

Ketchums
05-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Wirelessly posted

jiskandarshah and Ketchums, did either of you try a battery pull?

Yup, still doesn't work

aiharkness
05-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Wirelessly posted

I guess if it were me, I'd next try clearing the address book and then re-sync'ing with Outlook (or whatver you are using). Or, if you are using any kind of third-party stuff that interacts with your address book, disable or uninstall it as a test to see if it corrects the problem.

At that point, if the probelm is still there, I'd have to decide whether to live with it or try an OS upgrade.

send2ohm
08-22-2010, 08:01 PM
I finally found out the solution of how to search nickname as follows:

It's no the OS or device you just have to put nickname start by non-capital letter. If you put capital letter the device won't recognize it and that's all.

The device already suggest non-capital letter since you type it.

e.g. Ohm (cannot be search)
ohm can be search

Hope this help (y)

pedro_cesar
10-28-2010, 03:09 PM
OMG! Thank you... it had been bugging me for a while now! :)