PDA

View Full Version : Bes Installation on Domino Server

gerrydevlin.college
03-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Hello Everyone

Im looking for some advice. The company i work is running Bps to admin the Blackberries on the network (10). They want to move over to Bes as quickly as possible. The company uses a Domino server for there mail and this is where i am having some concerns. I am used to bes admin on an exchange server. They want to upgrade to Bes as they have paid for the software and want to take full advantage of the extra features that Bes provides , calender, graphics on messages etc. When they have tried to instll Bes on the domino server it will not allow us to upgrade. I tried installing Bes on a new server however i only get the remote option as it cant detect a domino server etc. My question is this should i uninstall the Bps and just run a new install on the domino server. Will Bes use the same ports as Bps does to communicate with the mail server. This will be my first install on a domino server and i have a few concerns that i am about to take all the users blackberries offline and i cant get them back. When setting up the new install My cals are in batches of 5 so i will need to transfer them to the new Bes server. Before i used active directory to find my users on Exchange im not sure how it works on Domino/Lotus email. How easy is it to point the bes install to my Domino Server , find an existing Berry user and get his berry up and running , i know i will have to re-activate all my berrys when i make the switch , its the initial install i am concerned about. Im looking at the forums notes on installs on a domino server as i type this , i was just wondering if there was anyone who has been in my situation before
Thanks
G

dev
03-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Are you upgrading to BES v5? If so, have they purchased the upgrade package (trade-up key)?

gerrydevlin.college
03-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Hi Dev

Thanks for the reply

No they never purchased the upgrade package , they have purchased the Full version 5.01 when we try and run the install it wont let us upgrade

dev
03-22-2010, 06:53 AM
No.it won't allow you to upgrade in that way. There's BES licensing info and upgrade instructions in the forum. You'll have to read-up on it before you proceed.
1. You can do a fresh install of BES v5 but this will involve reactivation for all accounts - may not be a good choice if users are in remote areas with minimal coverage

2. Use the Transporter option in BES v5 to "migrate" users from BPS to the new BES v5 server
Either way you choose you have much reading to do....the forum is full of procedures and tips for your exact situation. Yes....Domino is different than Exchange but it's not that difficult to do

gerrydevlin.college
03-22-2010, 06:56 AM
hi i double checked , unfortunatly there is no upgrade path from the version of BPS that we are running. Blackberry Manager 4.1

gerrydevlin.college
03-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Hi Dev Thanks for the Replies. It looks like i will have to do a full install , ill start reading the documentation as you mentioned. My biggest concern is what ports we have open for the Blackberry Manager. if i do the fresh install and these are not open then i may run into problems ....

gerrydevlin.college
03-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Just checked to see if i could install Bes in Tandem to the BPS but as soon i as i start its looking for a trade up key ....... so it looks like i am going to have to completly remove it and reinstall , if i try and install on another server , because it cant see a domino server it only allows me to install a remote option ie web based , back to the reading board lol

dev
03-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Before you completely remove and re-install anything, try installing the full BES v5 on it's own server (if possible) so that you get a grasp of the procedure and install requirements. You can setup a 2nd BES server in the environment it's not a problem to do so. All you need is another server ID in the same domino domain.

gerrydevlin.college
03-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi Dev
Thanks for the replies , with regard to your prev comment , thats what i am currently doing just now i have tried the install on a new server ,infact i have tried a few times lol, the problem i am having now is that at the beginning of the install where its looking for a setup type and database information , i have chosen to either create a config database or use an existing one and the database i can either install on the new server or try and point to an older one, this is where my problems begin the next screen tells me that it cant find a domino server which then only tells me that i can install a remote instance and then it allows me to install web based interfaces. Im not sure why it cant see my Domino server i dont really know enough about Domino servers to maybe do this install. The Domino Server is up and running and i can ping it from my new server ahhhhhhhhh more mushrooms and more confusion please ...lol

DavidAdams
03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
You need a Domino instance on the box you are installing the BES on.

gerrydevlin.college
03-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks David Adams for the reply , that makes sense , now i just need to see if i have the software to do this , from what i can see they are running Domino on the Mail Server and it looks like there is an instance running on the Server where the Bps Manager is installed. I will see how/if i can install an instance on the New Server , not sure if we have a license to do this though , but this now gives me something to shoot for , thanks David and Des for the feedback , sorry if its a hunderd daft questions , i have just started this gig and this is the first problem they throw at me and i dont want to Feck it all up lol im already disliking Domino .....

dev
03-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Here are some links to get you started on understanding domino:
Lotus Notes Management | Lotus Notes Tutorial Site for Domino Server (http://www.lotusnotestutorial.com/category/lotus-notes-management)
Deploying the IBM Lotus Domino Server - Cookbook (http://www.scribd.com/doc/8919659/Deploying-the-IBM-Lotus-Domino-Server-Cookbook)
Administering IBM Lotus Domino 8.5 servers for beginners (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/lotus/documentation/d-ls-domino85admin/index.html)
IBM Redbooks | IBM Lotus Notes and Domino 8 Deployment Guide (http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg247506.html?OpenDocument)

zaragatunga
03-24-2010, 12:32 PM
You need a Domino instance on the box you are installing the BES on.

Hello, DavidAdams, I have a problem similar to the original poster: having to install BES on a new server, separate from the main Domino server (for load-distribution reasons).

Can you tell me whether we have to purchase another Domino server license for that "Domino Instance" that has to be installed on the same box as BES?

Thanks in advance,
--
Zara.

DarthBBerry
03-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Hello, DavidAdams, I have a problem similar to the original poster: having to install BES on a new server, separate from the main Domino server (for load-distribution reasons).

Can you tell me whether we have to purchase another Domino server license for that "Domino Instance" that has to be installed on the same box as BES?

Thanks in advance,
--
Zara.

Checked with my Domino Admin: YES, you need a Domino Server Licence for each Domino Instance installed.

zaragatunga
03-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Checked with my Domino Admin: YES, you need a Domino Server Licence for each Domino Instance installed.

Thanks for the clarification.