PDA

View Full Version : PIN suddenly stopped working

mumford
03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere ... I did a couple of searches but didn't find anything.

I have an 8830 that I use for regular email, SMS and PIN. Today, the PIN function stopped working. I would send a PIN, but never get the little "d" and the person wouldn't receive the PIN. If someone sent me a PIN and I replied to that, the PIN would go through normally. But I couldn't originate a PIN. Email and text worked fine. I rebooted twice and it started to work. Later in the day it stopped again. I rebooted again and it's working right now.

My IT guy didn't even know what a PIN was. So if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them! Cheers.

aiharkness
03-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Wirelessly posted

How are you rebooting? Battery pull? If not, with the power on, remove the battery for half a minute.

it's weird that it works again for you after a little while then stops again. I don't know the answer to that. Service issue beyond your control?

mumford
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Yes, I did a battery pull while it was on. I wonder if the battery is going? Is it possible PINs take more power than other msgs? Sounds unlikely. The next time I reboot I will make sure to count to 30 before I put battery back in. Maybe it needs more time to rest!

aiharkness
03-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Wirelessly posted

I doubt it's battery. At least a battery problem wouldn't just cause trouble with PIN alone.

I would also try resending service books. I didn't suggest it before because it started working for you again, at least for a little while. But who knows.

Out of curiosity, is it just PIN messaging, and not BBM as well? Or is it both PIN and BBM?

mumford
03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
How can I resend service books? I don't know what that is. And I don't have BBM on my BB. Willing to try anything. it stopped working again this afternoon. Thanks for your help!

aiharkness
03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Wirelessly posted

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_resend_my_service_books%3F

BBM = Blackberry Messenger -- You do not have it?

mumford
03-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the how-to, and I will try that.

RE: Blackberry Messenger, sorry, I do have it, I just haven't used it. I'm going to test that as well. Really appreciate the suggestions.

aiharkness
03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Give an update either way. -- The fact that it works again after a reset makes me think the problem is on your end. Maybe a third-party app causing a conflict? A theme causing some issue? Memory?

When/if it happens again, pay attention to what applications you have running. See if there is a pattern. Also look at your free memory (options > status) immediately after a hard reset, again a while latter, and then again when the problem comes back.

mumford
03-23-2010, 09:02 PM
will do. thanks again.