PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Messenger

El Nino9
03-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Does BBM cost anything to use ? I'm on pay as you go with o2 an dont currently have any credit and i've sent out 3 invites to add people but i'm unaware if they've recieved, so basically do i need credit on my phone to connect to it then it's free or ? I'm lost to be honest..

aiharkness
03-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Wirelessly posted

If you have a blackberry data plan on your account, then you have use of BBM. There is no extra charge beyond what you are paying for blackberry data service.

If you don't have a blackberry data plan, then no BBM.

El Nino9
03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the reply aiharkness as far as i'm aware i dont think i have one, how would i go about getting this sorted

TXLady
03-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the reply aiharkness as far as i'm aware i dont think i have one, how would i go about getting this sorted

Call your carrier (who apparently is O2, not Dunno) and ask them if they have a blackberry data plan available for pay as you go plans. In the US, the carriers don't but there are one or two UK carriers who do.

El Nino9
03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Ahhh great thanks alot TXLady that helped :-D

Motorcycle Mama
03-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Only Orange offers BlackBerry Data Plans on pay as you go in the UK.

El Nino9
04-02-2010, 08:40 AM
So with me being on o2 that would obviously mean i wont be able to use BBM then (n)

dc/dc
04-02-2010, 09:23 AM
So with me being on o2 that would obviously mean i wont be able to use BBM then (n)

No, you can use it on O2, you just need a contract.

woodyuk
04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
There is no PAYG Blackberry add on from O2.

If you want to stay with O2 and have full Blackberry services you will have to switch to contract.

Currently only Orange and TMobile offer pre pay Blackberrys in the UK.

El Nino9
04-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for your comments guys (y) I've looked at Orange an they offer free net with free unlimited texts for 30 a month top-up, i'm not gonna be paying for that when i'm getting unlimited texts & unlimited o2 calls for 15 a month. I've not looked at T-Mobile will do so tho :smile:

woodyuk
04-02-2010, 04:55 PM
You can get it for £15 a month with Orange.

You choose which of their £10 a month PAYG tariffs and then add the Blackberry bolt on which gives you internet,email,BBM etc.The Blackberry add on costs £5 a month which is just deducted from your credit on the first of each month.

El Nino9
04-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Would i get the unlimited texts with that do you know Woody ? I text ALOT so with them being free helps

BigMan R
04-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey. Im looking to get a blackberry curve. But im buying it on pay as u go, ive got a contract sim which has unlimited internet on tmobile. Would i still have to pay 4 BBM and how much?

rambo47
04-02-2010, 05:55 PM
You need a BlackBerry data plan from T-Mobile.

BigMan R
04-02-2010, 06:48 PM
So i could not use the internet package ive allready got on my contract sim to use on the bbm

aiharkness
04-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Wirelessly posted

Look. It is simple. The service provider's generic mobile data doesn't do it for blackberry data. That is why everyone is putting blackberry in bold. There is mobile data and then there is blackberry data. If you want blackberry apps, you must pay for blackberry data. It is no more complicated than that.

devnull
04-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Ira, you sound like you're getting tired of answering the same question 1000 times. :)

BigMan R
04-02-2010, 07:07 PM
So i could not use the internet package ive allready got on my contract sim to use on the bbm

BigMan R
04-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Ohh i see

aiharkness
04-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Wirelessly posted

Don't mind. But over and over in the same thread!

rambo47
04-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Nope. But you can get the BlackBerry plan, then cancel your old generic data plan.

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_to_use_BlackBerry_on_Generic_Data_Plan)

Noodle22
04-02-2010, 09:12 PM
It's a daily broken record, Ira. It's part the consumer not being educated, and part the carrier selling the phones without advising what is needed for them to operate.

I'm glad they force data plans on us in Canada/U.S., it cuts down on these types of questions.

tsac
04-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey, no questions no support site. Questions are good!!

woodyuk
04-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Right,let's see if I can answer the OP's question and lay this to rest.

Currently the only way to use an existing phone on full pre pay Blackberry services in the UK is with Orange.TMobile have a PAYG Blackberry package but this is only for new phones bought from them.So what you need to do is this:-

1,Get yourself an Orange PAYG sim.

2,Choose one of the Orange PAYG packages from here. (http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/plans/paygPlanList.jsp?selectedTariffName=Monkey).Remenbering that you are just looking for the mix of calls and texts that suit you best.

3,Once you have your sim and have picked your tarrif,contact Orange customer services and ask them to add the Blackberry bolt on.This will give you internet via your Blackberry's browser,email and Blackberry Messenger etc.

aiharkness
04-03-2010, 06:37 AM
It's a daily broken record, Ira. It's part the consumer not being educated, and part the carrier selling the phones without advising what is needed for them to operate.

I'm glad they force data plans on us in Canada/U.S., it cuts down on these types of questions.

I understand that. As I say, when the question is asked and answered multiple times in the same thread, that's what is frustrating.

Maybe another part of the problem for the user is the way the blackberry service is billed by their service provider. Maybe it is confusing. I don't know. With T-Mobile (USA) it is just an add-on..... You want data on a blackberry? Ok, you buy the blackberry add-on. Simple as that. At least that's what it was when I first signed the contract however many years ago it was.

Maybe woodyuk has straigthened it out now, at least for now, in this thread.

devnull
04-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Suggestion: Maybe we should only concern ourselves with technical aspects of the BB, and not the billing issues. ;-)

"you need a blackberry data plan, dont know how much it costs, contact your carrier" <<<< done, end of story.

aiharkness
04-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Suggestion: Maybe we should only concern ourselves with technical aspects of the BB, and not the billing issues. ;-)

"you need a blackberry data plan, dont know how much it costs, contact your carrier" <<<< done, end of story.

Don't know. We do have people on the forum who know the information. I think it's useful to the questioner to tell them to contact the service provider and say, "I wan't *blackberry* data service" if the poster has been waiting a while for an answer and you don't know what else to tell them; but it is better to give the person more exact information on what to ask for *if* you are current on the plans and such. My problem is I don't even know what is current for T-Mobile US much less other carriers in the US or non-US carriers.