PDA

View Full Version : duplicate Address Book won't Wireless Sync

DIY_IT
03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi -

New forum member here. I looked through the existing threads regarding the problem and found only this one related to my problem: "181508-duplicate-contact-list"

As it is closed, I am starting a new one. Here's the deal. Moved to a new employer recently and needed to import my old BB contacts. New company allows only wireless syncing so I could not xfer my old contacts at work. Had the old device, which no longer had service, but still had my Contacts stored in it.

Since my employer will not allow me to install the BB Desktop software at work, I took it home and installed on my home PC. There I was able to hook up the old and new BB and transfer the address book.

However, I had one contact already on the new BB. When I moved the old Contacts to the new device, it created a second Address Book for these 250 contacts. So now I have 2 Address Books, both called 'Desktop'. For some reason, only the existing single-contact Address Book will wireless Sync. The new Address Book gives instead of the options yes/no just "Not Available" with no other options.

So, I would appreciate any help in an efficient way to get my 250 contacts in the 2nd Address book synced with Outlook on my work PC. Device is a BB 8320 and we use BES. Thanks!

tsac
03-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Make your life easy, delete all the contacts on the BB and clean up the address book on the desktop then resync using the address book or try the following

To configure multiple address books or contact folders within your own mailbox, you can use the BlackBerry Web Desktop to select which address books and contact folders should be shown on your BlackBerry smartphone. To complete this, perform the following steps:

Log in to the BlackBerry Web Desktop using the credentials provided by your system administrator.
Click the Email Settings tab on the top of the BlackBerry Web Desktop page.
In the left pane, click Contact Folders.
In the right pane under Private Contact Folders, expand your main address book to see other address books that are available within your mailbox.
Select or clear the check boxes beside the address books that you want to have available on your BlackBerry smartphone.
Click the address book to be displayed within the Contacts application on the BlackBerry smartphone in the drop-down list beside the Default contact folder label.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To view any of the other address books you have configured on the BlackBerry smartphone, perform the following steps:
Within the Contacts application on the BlackBerry smartphone, press the Menu key.
Click View Folder.
Expand the folder list and highlight the address book you want to view.
Press the Menu key.
Click View Folder.

A public contact folder or address book must be configured in the BlackBerry Administration Service before it is available for selection in the BlackBerry Web Desktop. For information , see the Control which public contact folders a user can synchronize with on a BlackBerry device section in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 Administration Guide.

When a public address book or contact folder is configured, it becomes available in the location shown below in the BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager:

Note: An administrator can also limit which address books or contact folders are available to a BlackBerry smartphone user. A BlackBerry smartphone user might not have access to all address books or contact folders that they can see within their mailbox.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The images shown in this KB article were taken from the BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager that is installed with BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft® Exchange. The dialog boxes for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for IBM® Lotus® Domino® or Novell® GroupWise differ slightly.

Additional Information
The BlackBerry Desktop Manager version 5.0 Service Pack 1 can also be used to configure address books for wireless synchronization. To do this, perform the following steps:

Connect your BlackBerry smartphone to the computer, and open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
In the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, click the Synchronization menu option.
Click Synchronization on the left pane under Configuration.
Click the Synchronization button on the right pane.
In the window that appears, click Advanced.
In the next window, click the Address Book tab.
Click the Map Folders button.
Expand the mailbox or public folders and select the contact folder to synchronize wirelessly.
Click the Add button.
Note: You can set a default contact folder by selecting it in Selected Folders and then clicking the Set as Default button.

You can also select the address books for a user from the BlackBerry Administration Service by taking the following steps:

Find the user within the Manage Users option and click the the user you wish to edit
On the Manage Users screen click Edit User
Under the Messaging Configuration heading click Default Configuration
Click the E-mail tab
Under the Private contact folders heading select the address books you want to synchronize
Optional: Change the Default Contact Folder drop down to the address book you want to appear as the Default folder on the BlackBerry smartphone.
Click Continue to User Information edit
Click Save All
Note: Any changes to settings are also reflected in the BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager.