PDA

View Full Version : Remind me WHY my next phone should be a BB

jDMJeRk
04-11-2010, 07:06 PM
I've been using the Bold now on AT&T for about 18 months. I originally had a curve and HATED it. I sold that and jumped on the iPhone (the original Edge model) bandwagon when they first came out. It was alright but I didn't think it was cut out for what I wanted it to do with a cell phone so I sold it and along came the Bold.

Now that Apple took their heads out of their asses and developed a better phone I've been considering switching over to the 3GS but I'm still not sure if that's going to be a smart move.

Is there any new BB devices coming out on AT&T?
Should I take on the 3GS? Remind me why I shouldn't!

tsac
04-11-2010, 07:10 PM
There are always new phones coming out so if you have the money, have at it.

Motorcycle Mama
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
If you have to ask, then it's not right device for you. Get the iPhone.

Dubdub
04-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Get what is right for you. For us, the BB is what is right. We shouldn't be trying to talk you or anyone else into getting one.

tsac
04-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Lets start a rumor. NEW device from RIMAPPLE.. an I-BERRYPAD then everyone will be happy:razz:

IwantaBlackberry
04-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm like you in that I have the 2G iphone I like and still have it I'm probably going to upgrade the iphone when it finally dies. But I have 2 lines and I like touch screen phones so I went and got an unlocked storm 2. I'm happy with it as well since it does what I wanted it to do. I would love to get the official At&t storm if it ever comes out but I get a feeling that it's not likely too for several years as I'm sure that verizon and Rim have a deal for a while just as apple has one with At&t even thou we all know it'll end just as the other BB devices eventually migrate to other carriers. It's just good business in the end it's up to you.

Jagga
04-11-2010, 08:17 PM
As previously stated: Get WHAT serves your needs best since its YOUR Dollar($) that's going to be spent and your ass on the line when you wanna skip out no the contract.

For me - personally:
1. I did try the iPhone 3GS (Primary & sole phone)
it lacked proper PIM management & efficient PIM data entry. I'm actually considering THINGS (a great app for iPhone, btw) on my uMB_Al & Mac Mini as iCal is lacking unless sync'd.
2. Battery life - just appalling now a days for a smartphone; consider better environmentally friendly laptops/desktops from Apple.
3. Spurious inputs occurred more frequently with cream from my face and with screensaver (high quality) applied. The former was resolved with a headset - but call quality suffered using Apple's headphones or any other 3.5mm headset (AE seems to be the best). The latter was needed due to serious boughts of gaming.
4. Call quality using stock or many 3rd party headsets was atrocious.
^ these are the most common drawbacks of iPhone; and I'm very sure BlackBerry's have theirs as well.

Again search out YOUR needs and see what happy iPhone users grumble about their favorite phone.

SteveO86
04-11-2010, 08:25 PM
You gotta get the phone that is right for you.

If your happy with BlackBerry then stick with it.

rambo47
04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
I"m a huge Mac fanboy. I probably have one of everything Apple has ever made. I even collect some older PowerBooks. One of my prizes is the 2400 "Comet" (180 MHz 603e processor!). The one device I never got hooked on is the iPhone. I need a physical keypad. I can't stand typing on Apple's virtual keyboard. And with email/sms being my primary need, BlackBerry is the logical choice for me.

It's all about choosing what works for you.

wabbit
04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Lets start a rumor. NEW device from RIMAPPLE.. an I-BERRYPAD then everyone will be happy:razz:

wait

you dont have the new ibbpad? i know app/rim sent it to me like 3 months ago.

jDMJeRk
04-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all the great replies.

I'd have to agree, one of the biggest flaws with the iPhone is fact that it doesn't have physical buttons to push. It makes it difficult for me to use but was something I was able to get used too.

I've weighed out the pros/cons between my Bold and a new 3GS and I still think what I use the phone the most for (email, sms, mms) the Blackberry is the better phone. I do however really like browsing the web more with an iPhone and that is starting to be come more of a depend in my life right now. I also like the camera on the 3GS.

I'm due for an upgrade and I just cant decide on getting the Bold 2, the 3GS or possibly waiting for another RIM phone for AT&T.

I guess I was just looking for some encouragement lol.:oops:

ezrunner
04-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (well lookie here!)

I'm ready to switch out from the 9000. The current 9700 is a great device but to small I prefer the 88xx/9000 size. So EZ awaits the next larger BB hopefully there will be one

johnling
04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Should I take on the 3GS? Remind me why I shouldn't!

BB = Priceless!

Everything Else = Junk!

Ragin Caucasian
04-12-2010, 04:13 PM
have had the 9000 for about 12 months, definitely ditching it for a iPhone 4G / HD when it comes out.

I like the BB but, RIM is so slow to develop anything timely to remain relevant.

Capt Jack Sparrow
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Blackberry is like a Colt, if it's neither one, it's simply a copy.;-)

rambo47
04-12-2010, 06:00 PM
have had the 9000 for about 12 months, definitely ditching it for a iPhone 4G / HD when it comes out.

I like the BB but, RIM is so slow to develop anything timely to remain relevant.

If you're looking at it from the "coolest bling" angle, then the iPhone HD is going to be the bomb. I prefer to look, not at what's relevant, but at what works best for me.

wabbit
04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
if you need to be convinced you need a bb then a bb is not for you.

jDMJeRk
04-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Eh I like the Bold but I dont think the 9700 is going to be money well spent and that is the only other better BB out right now for ATT...

juwaack68
04-13-2010, 04:56 PM
You're thinking in the right direction - look at the device for what you want it to do. How about a pseudo compromise? Get the BB for the email/sms stuff, and get an iTouch for the browser.

rambo47
04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
You're thinking in the right direction - look at the device for what you want it to do. How about a pseudo compromise? Get the BB for the email/sms stuff, and get an iTouch for the browser.

That's what I did, but the iTouch is really an iPad in my case. :oops:
I have ALL KINDS of Mac issues!

wabbit
04-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Wirelessly posted

Eh I like the Bold but I dont think the 9700 is going to be money well spent and that is the only other better BB out right now for ATT...

So wait nothing says you need to get a new phone cause two years pasted. As for my prior statement not trying to sound like an ass but you should buy a device that suits your needs not be convinced to get a certain type of device.

jDMJeRk
04-14-2010, 01:16 AM

Ya know I thought about that but really I'd like to browse the web on 3G. I wouldn't even consider the iPhone if it didnt have web browsing via 3G. That was one of the reasons why didn't like the Edge model.

Wirelessly posted

So wait nothing says you need to get a new phone cause two years pasted. As for my prior statement not trying to sound like an ass but you should buy a device that suits your needs not be convinced to get a certain type of device.

No offensive taken bro. Convinced was a bad choice in words on my behalf. I suppose I'm tired of people asking me for my advice on a cell phone and my response being "get an iPhone; their dildo proof". Their very simple phones, they have a great track record. It sucks they don't have an actual keyboard (which is still the main reason why I wont give in to purchasing one) but the web browser and applications seem easier to use and honestly better than the versions that come out on the Blackberry.

Honestly, the best solution I've found so far is to use my girlfriends iPhone when were to together haha

Noodle22
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Dildo proof? I'm not sure what you mean by it being 'sex toy' proof but this is a family friendly forum.

jDMJeRk
04-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Dildo proof? I'm not sure what you mean by it being 'sex toy' proof but this is a family friendly forum.
Just another way of saying 'idiot proof' :idea:

Ragin Caucasian
04-16-2010, 08:42 AM
I prefer to look, not at what's relevant, but at what works best for me.

whats 'cool' about a shi* browser, no longer free OpenOffice apps, hardly any development apps, and an outdated messenger/applications?

The only thing going for the BB is a keyboard and removable battery.

I hate apple, hate iPhones, but it works....

Briant392
04-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Let me start by saying I love my Blackberry. That being said, if verizon would have had an iphone at the time of my upgrade I would have gotten that. But what I use my phone for, text and email, I couldn't ask for a better phone.

TXLady
04-16-2010, 12:51 PM
If you're looking at it from the "coolest bling" angle, then the iPhone HD is going to be the bomb. I prefer to look, not at what's relevant, but at what works best for me.

whats 'cool' about a shi* browser, no longer free OpenOffice apps, hardly any development apps, and an outdated messenger/applications?

The only thing going for the BB is a keyboard and removable battery.

I hate apple, hate iPhones, but it works....

Thought I'd include Rambo's entire message instead of the just the snip you quoted (the bolded part). Again, most of us don't care about "cool" and no one said that's why they are getting a BB. We use the BB because it works best for us which is much more than keyboard and removable battery. You need to get what works for you and move on. If you need the cool phone and more apps, etc., etc., okay. I need a reliable email and PIM solution which is BB.

pinback
04-16-2010, 01:43 PM
You shouldn't get a 3GS because a new iPhone will probably be released in June (as the past 3 have been). Personally I miss my iPhone because of the apps that were available on it. Also I barely surfed the web while outside (it was and still is silly on a tiny screen), but with the Bold 2 what was previously silly is now unbearable.

Bold 2 is great if you need to text, BBM or email a lot. Or if you have a requirement for security. In every other aspect the iPhone beats it.

jDMJeRk
04-24-2010, 02:57 AM
You shouldn't get a 3GS because a new iPhone will probably be released in June (as the past 3 have been). Personally I miss my iPhone because of the apps that were available on it. Also I barely surfed the web while outside (it was and still is silly on a tiny screen), but with the Bold 2 what was previously silly is now unbearable.

Bold 2 is great if you need to text, BBM or email a lot. Or if you have a requirement for security. In every other aspect the iPhone beats it.

I really couldn't have said it better which is why I've continued to hang on to the 9000 as long as I have.

I've heard the new iPhone is supposed to be out in 2 months and I've heard a year... 2 months I can wait for; a whole year... then I mind as well get the 3GS or stick with the 9000.

-Nick

tsac
04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
wait

you dont have the new ibbpad? i know app/rim sent it to me like 3 months ago.

Still sitting next to the mail box waiting for my I-Berrypad !!

jDMJeRk
04-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Still sitting next to the mail box waiting for my I-Berrypad !!

Sign me UP :)

alexjk
04-24-2010, 11:01 PM
i love apple products but i need a keyboard. the blackberry has good battery life, easy to use and the keyboards are great. but you have to get what will best fit your needs

orpheusthellos
04-26-2010, 04:09 AM
i'm guessing you aren't much of an email user and a security emphasized user.

however it's always good to keep one bb around just incase your job requires you to have quick email access.

as for me, i'm ditching my storm 9500 once the iphone hd(4) comes out...... still keeping my storm 9550 around for business use and the iphone for media use.

using your bb as an mp3 player doesn't favor you well when it comes to emergency email and server access...... headbang headbang headbang headbang.............. battery too low for radio....... shakes head left and right over and over again

alexjk
04-30-2010, 03:14 PM
i use my blackberry for e-mail all the time. i don't have a problem with it. and i have nothing to hide so i'm not worried about having all this security on a phone.

jsconyers
04-30-2010, 03:20 PM
i use my blackberry for e-mail all the time. i don't have a problem with it. and i have nothing to hide so i'm not worried about having all this security on a phone.

It's not about what you have to hide. :?

I don't want someone being able to access my data and be able to get to my loved ones' phone numbers, addresses, etc. Or any other personal data. Security is pretty important to some of us. Most of us take it for granted until something tragic happens.

alexjk
04-30-2010, 05:55 PM
i've never heard of anything like that happening on a blackberry. i'm not saying it doesn't happen. i've heard of it happening on sidekicks but not blackberries. i wouldn't think it's a common thing is it

jsconyers
05-01-2010, 07:50 AM
No, and that's the piece of mind security gets you. You just helped prove my point about BlackBerry security.

jDMJeRk
05-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I had a funny encounter today... My dad has been wanting to upgrade his phone (AT&T network) and we've got a family plan under my name for whatever reason so I had to come along.

Once again I was asked, "what should I get?". I picked out the 16gb 3GS for him. He absolutely loves it. I dont think he'd like the Blackberry as much as I do so I didn't bother. His old phone was a Nokia 3120 lol.

After setting everything up and showing him how to use the phone and apps and what not, the first text message I answered on my Bold felt way better in my hand.

Amen for real buttons. Now only if RIM would step up the apps and stable OS upgrades :)

/end of rant

rambo47
05-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I think anytime a person asks, "Why should I get a BlackBerry?" the answer is "You shouldn't."

If they have to ask, they don't have a clue what BlackBerrys are about. And they certainly have no clue about BlackBerry data plans. I just tell 'em to get an iPhone.

jDMJeRk
05-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I think anytime a person asks, "Why should I get a BlackBerry?" the answer is "You shouldn't."

If they have to ask, they don't have a clue what BlackBerrys are about. And they certainly have no clue about BlackBerry data plans. I just tell 'em to get an iPhone.

I think you misread what I was talking about. With all the latest applications coming out for the iPhones and Androids, I couldn't decide if I wanted to give the iPhone 3GS (or even now an HTC with the Android OS) a shot.

I know Blackberries have to offer as I've used one for over 2 years now and same with the iPhone. You hear users on here crying all the time about software support and RIM dragging long OS upgrades (stable ones at that).

Fact of the matter is this, I still like my Blackberry over an iPhone and an Android but wish they were supported more. (y)

tsac
05-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Blackberry is still a business device but I would bet you will start to see a few more consumer related features. The only people who "cry all the time" are the ones who should get another type device. It's not for the average consumer and when one does get a BB expecting Iphone or Android features they are disapointed.