PDA

View Full Version : Can't Update my hand-me-down pearl.

jessel56
04-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Hi guys,

I need some help, a friend of mine gave me his old blackberry pearl 8110. I noticed the software is v4.3 and so I downloaded desktop manager to update this to 4.5.
When I tried updating the software in this way, a dialogue box came up telling me the device is currently activated with enterprise services and cannot be updated.
I can't contact my friend as he is now unreachable in another country. How do I remove my device from the blackberry enterprise software so it can then be updated through desktop management?

Thanks!

TXLady
04-18-2010, 01:33 PM
You're new so maybe you are unaware that we have a great set of FAQs on this site which cover many topics. I suggest you click on Blackberry FAQ in the top menu bar and scan through them to at least acquaint your self with the topics covered. And of course, someone will suggest that you could have searched however you will have to come up with the correct terms to find what you need and you many not know that you want to know how to remove the IT policy on the phone so probably wouldn't have found it.

What you are looking for is "Remove IT policy" which is covered in this FAQ: Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy)

aiharkness
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Wirelessly posted

See what others say. I'm wondering if the blackberry is still registered with the BES. It sounds like it to me, but I don't know. That's why I held off posting. If blackberry is still on the BES, it will push the policy back to the device.

jessel56
04-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks, this is exactly what I needed. I suppose I'm the usual newbie..thanks again!

jessel56
04-18-2010, 01:47 PM
If I follow the instructions on the post by Txlady, won't this prevent the policy being pushed back to the device?

aiharkness
04-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Wirelessly posted

If I follow the instructions on the post by Txlady, won't this prevent the policy being pushed back to the device?

No, not if the blackberry is still registered with the BES. I guess you could try, and if it gets pushed back you'll know. I don't think there's any harm in that, but I'm not 100% sure. The best thing would be to talk to the person who gave you the blackberry and sort it out from there.

jessel56
04-18-2010, 02:35 PM
ah see that's the problem, he's immigrated and I don't have his new contact details :(
one final question, does the backup retain BBM contacts?

Dubdub
04-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Please do not double post. Once is generally enough.