PDA

View Full Version : OK - Need some Calendar advice

t_l_miller
04-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I see a lot of intelligent Blackberry users out on this forum so I'm hoping that I can get some good advice.

Here's my situation: I have an 8830 and don't currently use the calendar feature but want to change that. I use ACT! (contact management software) on my laptop that I sync to my 8830 using a 3rd party software (Companion Link). I also have Outlook on my laptop that I only use for e-mail.

Believe it or not, I still use GASP ... a paper calander! It's time for me... FINALLY ...to go electronic with the calendar and dump the old school daytimer. The question is, do I put everything into ACT and sync with that or would I have better luck doing it with Outlook? The calendar feature that is standard on my Blackberry looks rather unimpressive but I don't know what apps are best to download?

Any help and/or advice on this would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

BB-Tech support
04-20-2010, 01:45 AM
I see a lot of intelligent Blackberry users out on this forum so I'm hoping that I can get some good advice.

Here's my situation: I have an 8830 and don't currently use the calendar feature but want to change that. I use ACT! (contact management software) on my laptop that I sync to my 8830 using a 3rd party software (Companion Link). I also have Outlook on my laptop that I only use for e-mail.

Believe it or not, I still use GASP ... a paper calander! It's time for me... FINALLY ...to go electronic with the calendar and dump the old school daytimer. The question is, do I put everything into ACT and sync with that or would I have better luck doing it with Outlook? The calendar feature that is standard on my Blackberry looks rather unimpressive but I don't know what apps are best to download?

Any help and/or advice on this would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
Act is not supported by Blackberry desktop manager above version4.2
You can not download 4.2 anywhere because RIM doesnt support DM 4.2 any more
your best bet is to use Microsoft outlook

NickAC
04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Make sure you have a later version of Outlook than 2000. I believe DM 4.6 and above no longer recognize Outlook versions prior to 2003.

rambo47
04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
The BlackBerry's PIM functions were designed specifically with Outlook in mind as it's the default choice of the corporate world. Outlook would be best. You also get integration of contacts/calendar with your emails. Things like invites to meetings, etc, go very smoothly with Outlook.

TXLady
04-20-2010, 05:08 PM

I'm another one who recommends Outlook. Sounds like you've been using Act for your contracts. If so, you should be able to import them into Outlook and then you could use Outlook for both Calendar and Contacts. I'm not familiar with Act so don't know if it has additional capabilities that Outlook does not but do know that Outlook includes Act as one of the programs it can import from.

Dubdub
04-20-2010, 06:01 PM
DM 4.2 supports Outlook 2000 and earlier. Don't think DM 4.3 and above will see it.

And I also vote for Outlook, as it is easy enough to use. However, you can also use Google Calender like I do and wirelessly sync the BB, laptops, desktops, Macs, etc.

BeachBum71
04-20-2010, 08:14 PM
I was an ACT user myself and also used a daytimer, since my first blackberry years ago, I only use outlook and sync with my bb. Life is soooooooo much easier.

I say dump ACT!

Dubdub
04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Depends on what you have ACT for. I use it as my main CRM tool. Works great for my needs.

t_l_miller
04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Dub,

You noted that you use Google Calendars along with Outlook. I am looking at using Google Calendars for our family planning, i.e. wife and kids stuff, but Outlook for my business. I assume everything can be synced up? Where is a good resource to learn more about how all of these applications can work together.

Also, you mentioned wireless syncing. I currently use a USB cable to sync. How do I move to doing that?

Thanks!!

TLM

Dubdub
04-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Google search is your friend. You can find out about Google sync using our SEARCH feature and / or using Google. I found out by trying them out and finding what worked best for me.

As for wireless sync, unless you have BES, Google sync is the only way I know to have wireless calendar sync.

t_l_miller
04-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Done! Thanks for the help on the Google syncing, that was easy!