PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Connect

JMF0
11-12-2004, 11:47 AM

blackberry7750
01-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi,

Anyone hear about this "Blackberry Connect"? or maybe it's called something else ?? I'm talking about whatever software you need to install on a non-RIM device to sync w/ BES 4.
I've been told by RIM support that I need to wait for Verizon to come out with it but seeing how Verizon seems to be the last company to come out with the handheld 4.0 software I figured I'd ask here if anyone knows how to get it? maybe from another company's site?

any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

corey@12mile
01-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Verizon last for everything??? hehe you've never been with Rogers up here in Canada eh? Rogers has by far the best mobile network setup in Canada, but they like to sit back and watch what happens around the world before commiting something to their system which is good and bad in their own ways... and for the record, I am a loyal Rogers user. (it's free)

Mark Rejhon
01-12-2005, 02:00 AM
For the record, Rogers is much faster at introducing new models of BlackBerries than Verizon is. :D

Okay, Cingular was a tad faster at introducing the 7290 than Rogers was, but only by a couple weeks. Although, Rogers 7100r came a lot later.

Highwayman
01-12-2005, 03:44 AM
There are a few standards as far as BlackBerry software is concerned.

1st, there is BlackBerry, this refers to devices like the 7290, 7100 etc. They run the standard software that is well known.

2nd, there is BlackBerry Connect, this is the software for devices like the Nokia 6820 and Sony, but is quite limited in its fuctionality at the moment.

3rd, there is BlackBerry Built in, this is used on the Siemens and has pretty much full BlackBerry functionality.

However, a note of caution is that if you are planning to use 4.0 soon, only the true BlackBerry devices will be able to use the new features of the version 4 server until the Connect and Built in software catch up, but they will work.

Posted wirelessly from a BlackBerry using wap.BlackBerryClub.com

blackberry7750
01-12-2005, 09:51 AM
<br/>2nd, there is BlackBerry Connect, this is the software for devices like the Nokia 6820 and Sony, but is quite limited in its fuctionality at the moment.
<br/>
<br/>3rd, there is BlackBerry Built in, this is used on the Siemens and has pretty much full BlackBerry functionality.
<br/>
<br/>However, a note of caution is that if you are planning to use 4.0 soon, only the true BlackBerry devices will be able to use the new features of the version 4 server until the Connect and Built in software catch up, but they will work.
<br/>

Are Blackberry Connect and BlackBerry Built in specific to certain devices. I was of the impression that Blackberry Connect can be used on any non-Blackberry device to use 4.0 features. Was I given wrong info?

My boss just got an Audiovox 6600 and I'm trying to find this Blackberry Connect software to test out the wireless synch for emails, contacts, etc... I was hoping that since I was able to use the Telus handheld OS 4 to upgrade my 7750 (instead of waiting for Verizon to release it) maybe one of the carriers had already put out the Blackberry Connect and I can get it from them.

jibi
01-12-2005, 10:28 AM
you were given the wrong information (or perhaps didn't quite understand the information you were being told). you may have a device now that will be capable of BlackBerry Connect in a future firmware/handset software upgrade (North American Nokia handsets (Japanese models have this functionality on the 9100), Treo handsets, etc), but you will not be able to download this software and implement it onto an existing handset.

Highwayman
01-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Connect and Built in are only available for specific hardware and it will be firmware only. Be wary too... It's been suggested that providers like Nokia for example with their 6820 will not make this firmware available at all to the public, and it will only be available and/or upgradable by purchasing a new handset completley. Meaning that if you purchase a 6820 now with Connect version 1.2, you will not be able to upgrade it to version 2 when it is available. Posted wirelessly from a BlackBerry using wap.BlackBerryClub.com

Highwayman
01-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Connect and Built in are only available for specific hardware and it will be firmware only. Be wary too... It\'s been suggested that providers like Nokia for example with their 6820 will not make this firmware available at all to the public, and it will only be available and/or upgradable by purchasing a new handset completley.

Posted wirelessly from a BlackBerry using wap.BlackBerryClub.com

blackberry7750
01-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Wow....guess that stinks for my boss. Thank you very much to everyone for straightening things out for me. Posted wirelessly from a BlackBerry using wap.BlackBerryClub.com