PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry on wifi without carrier service

mycal
04-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Can this be done? Something like the iTouch?

I'd like to test without having to have phone service.

Thanks,

-M

fonejunkie
04-21-2010, 03:39 PM
In a word, no. You need a BlackBerry data plan to use most of the apps... anything that goes through the BlackBerry servers require a BB data plan - BB Browser, BB Messenger, email, etc.

You may be able to use a third party browser (Opera Mini) and some other third party apps over wifi, but your experience will be extremely crippled.

TXLady
04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Please check out FAQs on this site, especially What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F).

tsac
04-21-2010, 08:01 PM
you may be able to see some of the features used on WIFI but as stated above it will be very limited. why dont you go to a store and play with one. I doubt anyone would object.

daphne
04-21-2010, 10:16 PM
If you have Verizon, you can't even buy a BlackBerry from them without a data plan.

fonejunkie
04-21-2010, 10:35 PM
If you have Verizon, you can't even buy a BlackBerry from them without a data plan.

The same is basically true of AT&T... but the difference between VZW and any of the GSM providers is that with the GSM provider, you don't have to tell the provider about your new phone

All you have to do is just slip your SIM card into the device and off you go. Yes, I know that the GSM providers can detect the device (and PIN and IMEI) that you use on your account on their network... However, at least in the case of AT&T, their policy states that you if you buy any smartphone through them, you must also agree to carry a data plan (if purchased after September, 2009)... so the "loophole" is how you acquire your phone. Arguably, if you purchased smart phone prior to September, 2009, you can conceivably "move" that device around your "family plan" account. You can purchase a phone from any other source, slip an AT&T SIM in the device and (as they say across the pond) Bob's your uncle.

VZW has closed that loop via their published policy of not activating any phone on their system that was not purchased through VZW. And since CDMA phones don't use SIM cards*, you cannot use a phone on their network that THEY have not activated.

* some CDMA "world" phones use SIM cards, but not for US domestic service,